SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Photos: Black White Challenge!!!!

solstice98
14 years ago

ARE YOU READY?!?

Here are the 16 quilt projects submitted for the Black, White and ? Challenge of 2009!

The next message in this post has an on-line poll so you can vote for your favorite entry. You only get one vote, so don't be too hasty. The poll will close at midnight on 8/27/09 and I'll post the tally the following day.

In addition to the photos here, I'll do a separate post with a link to the slideshow for those of you who have trouble viewing all of the photos. I know this page will be slow to load so please be patient! The slide show link should be much faster (but I'm having a little trouble getting it to work). I've included any comments that were sent with the photos.

A big thanks to Vicky for proposing this challenge and for keeping it going over the summer!

Here we go!

CIRCLE MEETS THE SQUARE

"Variation of Ricky Tims Convergence quilting and it my first attempt at free motion machine quilting."

Finished Size: 41” x 45”

BLACK WHITE AND LOVED ALL OVER

"22" square. It was made with the family and friends in mind who had to live what these ribbons represent.

Green/Jade: Kidney & Liver Cancer, Teal: Ovarian Cancer, Pink: Breast Cancer, Red: Heart Disease. Not in ribbon shape ~ Black: Melanoma, White: Bone Cancer.

I concentrated on quilting the ribbons just as our minds are totally on our loved ones. The black borders were quilted because some things are necessary to hold our lives together, just as in this quilt."

THE MYSTERY OF CATS

"(16.75" x 16.75") Inspired by a picture of my cat playfully flip-flopping. Cat: Raw-edge applique, buttonhole (hand) stitching and embroidery

Yellow cushion: Needle-turn applique, echo quilting

Fish heads: Prairie points"

CHINA MARINERS COMPASS

"Paper Pieced China Mariners Compass.

I used this challenge to get more practice with machine quilting and paper piecing."

BRIGHT BLOCKS FOR BROOKE

LILIES OF THE FIELD

AFRICAN GOLD

"The hanging is a tribute to Michael Jackson - it doesn't matter if you're black or white. It doesn't matter if you are a zebra or a lion - they are converging towards living together in harmony.

It is my design (similar to Ricky Tims' convergence quilts), size 32"x32", totally machine pieced and quilted (SITD) with the binding completed by hand."

BLACK WHITE AND MUSICAL ALL OVER

"Size: 22” x 22” inches.

I have long wanted to do a musical theme quilted wall hanging to hang next to the piano. The wall hanging is a fairly simple design, which suits our piano room and I think that the black and white theme colours really look nice against the piano backdrop and walls/furniture!

As for quilt details: It is machine pieced, and birthed, with a narrow black hanging sleeve added at the top. It is hand quilted with a variety of musical theme designs (treble clef, bass clef, sharp sign, flat sign, whole notes, half notes, eighth notes, natural sign) in red thread to match the red of the musical fabric, as well as the red backing. The label on the back lists my name and the challenge theme, and is in the shape of a musical note. "

MOONLIGHT TRELLIS

BUG IN A BATHROOM

"It is a wall hanging that measures 19"x19". I chose to make it to match my red bathroom that is ladybug themed."

THE SUNSHINE IN MY EYES

"This wall hanging (19"x42") is my first French Braid and my first attempt at a feathery free motion stitching pattern. I used a variegated orange/gold thread for the quilting and added some crystal beads for sparkle: black, white and sunshine!"

RED SKY AT NIGHT

"Attic Windows pattern. Measures 55" X 75". Fabrics used are red cotton speckled with gold metallic/white cotton/black cotton. Reverse is solid black cotton. This was done in a quilt as you go, all on machine. Warm and natural batting. The pattern was done in a 9.5 inch block, blocks cut of batting the same size, and then set against a 12.5 inch block and quilted. The backing was brought forward on each block, sewn to the next, and folded over and topstitched down to form the black 'frames' between each window pane.

The objective was to design an "Op Art" Mondrian inspired quilt, with a traditional pattern, and using only fabric to achieve the effect."

ADJUSTABLE TOTE

"This is a versatile tote that adjusts to different sizes."

NORTHWEST FISH QUILT

"This quilt is my original design. I was inspired by the Northwest Indian Quilts that I viewed in Alaska last summer. I really enjoy the stylized animals and that they frequently use buttons on their quilts."

KIBITZING KITTY

"This project uses plain piecing, paper piecing, machine appliqué and FM quilting. I chose this for my daughter who is a cat lover. The “challenge” is the free motion quilting!"

MIDNIGHT GARDEN TRELLIS

"16X20 paper pieced wall hanging. The block is from a Carol Doak book. This wall hanging is my first free motion quilting project."

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County