SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
htracey_gw

Thoughts on this vintage stove

htracey
13 years ago

I just aquired this vintage stove:

http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/htracey/?action=view&current=stove-1.jpg

My first instinct was that its cute.... my second was that I'm not sure on the color. I'm in the middle of putting in white shaker cabinets with Carrara marble countertops, a farmhouse sink, and grey slate floors. My walls are a very golden yellow - but that can be changed. Do you think the stove will work with the cabinets, marble, and slate?

Comments (38)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I couldn't get the link to work . . .

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Fabulous stove. Post pics of your stone and such. You do need to pick the correct white for your cabinets, so that the undertones work together.

• Related Discussions

Vintage Stove - not for cooking

Q

Comments (3)
    How could you not? Old stoves are beautiful. :) I'm not sure how comfortable a desk it would be for actual sitting--you'll have to go down to the basement and pull up a chair and spend some quality time with it. If your oven door flips down like that one, you could maybe treat the door like an old secretary--put something flat on it to serve as a writing surface with stationery (okay, phone chargers or a laptop) inside and put cookbooks on the burner surface. (I suppose you'd have to cover up the burners as well--marble? Butcherblock?) Also at least one pot of herbs. You could have the heaviest desk on the block!
    ...See More

Vintage stove - too good to be true? (Long)

Q

Comments (11)
    We are in California, and as far as I know there are actually no restrictions on installing vintage ranges. (Definitely never came up in any of our inspections--we have one!) Ours (1954 O'Keefe and Merritt) does have a safety valve, but no one ever asked or checked for one. The reason they're tough to sell in the Bay Area is just that they're all over the place, and a PITA to move. Either way, though, I'm pretty sure a 1950 stove should have been built with a safety valve anyway (but you can have them retrofitted if not). The main thing I would check is that it's actually restored and not just rehabbed (but for that price, it doesn't really matter). I do see them advertised as "restored" in the Bay Area frequently when people really mean "clean and in mint condition" (which does not have the same price tag as actual restoration--that involves replacing or recalibrating thermostat, rechroming or re-enameling as needed, checking safety, repairing rust and corrosion and replacing parts as needed, replacing glass or doors if needed, etc.) Wedgewoods are super easy to work with, though--they're very mechanical--so even if something is wrong with it, you could likely fix it relatively easily and for far less than a restored stove would run you. If by chance you're in California (where they were made) there are still many stove repair shops that specialize in them. I had one in a rental once and they're terrific stoves (as are the O'Keefe and Merritts). I'd definitely go check it out, assuming your state has no restrictions on their installation!
    ...See More

Second thoughts about my sink--vintage 40s kohler drainboard

Q

Comments (25)
    We currently have a single bowl sink similar to the one in question installed in our 1840's farm house as a prep sink/pot washing area/farm sink. It's right next to our stove, which has been handy for things like canning, or just setting hot pots on its drainboards. When we put it in, the wall behind it turned out to not be perfectly flat, so there was a slight gap behind the middle portion but not the outer edges of the backsplash. We turned this into an advantage and store our knives there. Since this picture was taken, I've fitted a good size wooden cutting board on the right hand drainboard that's been very handy. We also could have custom-cut one to fit in the top of the sink hole, but didn't go that route. I'll agree that it's an awesome spot for washing veggies, fresh eggs from the chickens, filling jars for canning, etc. We've really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, ours is no longer in good shape. The finish in the sink bowl is no longer shiny, and is extremely difficult to keep clean. We've also chipped it in a number of places so that it has the black underbody peeking through. (Hint: Don't store your canned goods in the cupboard over the drainboard, they aren't nice to the enamel when they fall!) We aren't getting rid of it though. It's slated to go outside to be used in a summer kitchen where we can cook and can outdoors. Keep in mind that although lots of people like deeper sinks, if you are tall and are handwashing dishes, a shallow sink might be more comfortable to work at for you.
    ...See More

Vintage stove lovers, will you share your experience?

Q

Comments (6)
    Not an owner, but I thought about it. Congratulations! It's gorgeous. Just realize--you didn't just get yourself a new appliance. You also got a new hobby. You can find a lot of resources online to help, like Retro Renovation's guide to getting your stove fixed. There seems to be a place in LA where you can send away for parts, and a place or two in Sacramento, though I have no personal knowledge of them.. And there's a Chambers stove group online that might be worth a look--you have to register to get into the forums. You're going to need to fix that pilot situation before an inspector will sign off on installation.
    ...See More
  • brianadarnell
    13 years ago

It is cute! Marcolo is right, though- choose your cabinet color very carefully or else this baby will always look dingy.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

MMmmmmm, a Glenwood!

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

My dream stove!!!

• senator13
    13 years ago

How about you just bring it to my place and then you won't have to worry about it anymore :) I am a giver like that!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

If a stove could be adorable... that stove is!

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Is that the pic of the actual stove (link doesn't work)? If so, sorry, but white cabinets and Carrara marble (white and grey) will clash badly. I'd go with cream cabinets - definitely NOT white! And because of the coloring of the stove (brown fading to cream) it will compete and clash with the cool mottled coloring of the marble. The counter should be warm brown / cream tones to match. Personally I'd go with red or green cabinets to make the stove pop, but a warm cream will work as well.

• lithigin
    13 years ago

I'm with natschultz on this one. Such a fabulous stove will be the focal point of your kitchen, I'm assuming, and warm tones will make it look just stunning. White and grey will really fight that unusual fade on the enamel. If you must have white somewhere, then perhaps painted cabs and the carrara counters?

• celineike
    13 years ago

I love it!!!
    I think it can easily work, if you take your cabs to a true cream white!

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What Natschultz said was what I was afraid of (yes it is the actual stove pictured). The stove was a impulse purchase when I came accross it, so now its throwing off all my plans. I wanted to go with light colors on my cabinets and counters as the kitchen (being a 100+ years old)is small and only has one window. I got slate floors because I have a beautiful but large black lab with dirty paws who sheds like crazy. With the dark floors I wanted to keep things light with the cabinets.

I like the green idea for the cabinets if I can get a light green that works - it will take some effort to sell it to hubby though. I don't know what to do about the countertops - I already have the marble and I love it to death... but I also love the stove.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Calacatta might work, rather than Carrara. I think it's less porous, too. I can see some Caesarstones that might work as well, and would be more fitting next to a '20s range.

You need to move from theory to practice. Get a fan deck of paint chips, not one or two, and start holding your actual materials up against the stove. Post pics here if you want second opinions.

I am not sure a white won't work, if it's a warm white. But you have to look at actual paint colors, not have conceptual discussions.

• ellaf
    13 years ago

I don't know what carrera marble looks like, but you know best whether it all goes together, you are looking at the materials in real life. If they don't:
    - would you consider getting professionals to repaint the stove? It's gorgeous, but it's definitely gorgeous because of the shape rather than the color.
    - decide whether it's more important to change the counter tops or the stove, and then go forward.
    - have the backsplash incorporate both colors, both the carrera light grey and the stove color as a bridge between the two. I'm not sure if this would work, but it's worth a try.

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hubby will definitely NOT let me change the paint on the stove. He's of the mind of "if your going to change and antique, you might as well have not bought and antique"... which I can appreciate, but its limiting sometimes.

I can probably sell my countertops without any major financial loss... so I'm researching other light options that incorporate some warmer colors... hopefully one steals my heart the way Carrara Marble did. I think the second sample below might have done it... but it is the least likely to go with the stove.

Thoughts on these?
    http://www.metropolitantiledepot.com/silver-travertine-travertine-tile-honed-12x12.html

http://www.metropolitantiledepot.com/rain-forest-marble-tile-honed-12x12.html

http://www.metropolitantiledepot.com/tuscany-canyon-select-travertine-tile-honed-and-filled-12x12.html

http://www.metropolitantiledepot.com/crema-cappuccino-marble-tile-honed-12x12.html

• Cella
    13 years ago

I absolutely love the stove! I hope to find one like that for our guest house.

My thoughts were this:
    1. The coloration on the stove looks like the paint job on our refrigerator in the 70's. Any chance that it was 'restored' and used to be some solid color? Maybe by chance you could go back to the original?
    2. You could search for another antique stove and sell this one.
    3. Contact the owner of stovehospital.com and find out about the history of the stove. They currently deal in wood and coal fired stoves, but may be able to help you find the ideal gas stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Stove Hospital

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I agree with Natschultz...green cabinets with some red acccents (and gold) would be beautiful! It would bring out the pinkish undertones in the stove (at least on my monitor) and make it a wonderful focal point, not a dingy after thought. It's such a lovely stove, I would design the kitchen around it...or make Senator's day and find it a new home (LOL)

Seriously, that's the type of stove that makes an amazing and unique kitchen...truly one of a kind. I'd rethink the whole white/marble/Victorian type of theme and start looking at 1920s and 1930s kitchens. If you don't want a dark green, something like this would be a good starting point...and authentic :)

{{gwi:1732988}}

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Is that a wood / gas combo? Does it work / have you had it checked out for code compliance (pilot safety system)? Before you change any plans you should make sure the stove is good to go. I just had an old Chambers restored - totally broke the bank!

BTW: The slate floors should be fine if they are all grey and not the rainbow colors. For the cabinets you can actually mix colors, such as green and cream, if your husband is afraid of color. Sage green goes great with the marble. If you already have the marble, have you tried it next to the stove?

You can always combine different counter surfaces as well - why not make the stove a focal point in one section of the kitchen with slate or soapstone counters (relates to floor) and colorful cabinets on either side of the stove and then cream Shaker cabinets with the marble in the rest of the kitchen? If you change out just those doors to something like beadboard insets (just change out the panel, not the whole door), then it will look like a really awesome deliberate period appropriate design decision. If you go with a light sage green and slate counters around the stove and cream colored Shaker cabs with the marble counters everywhere else it should look awesome because the pale green and dark grey matches the stove (with the cast iron top) and those colors also compliment the cream cabs and pale grey of the marble.

I'd go with a cheery almost (but not quite) yellow cream so that the pale grey and white in the carrara looks clean and sleek against it - in otherwords the marble should "pop" against the cream so it looks deliberate (the cabs should be darker, marble counters lighter). By choosing such a complimentary combo your eye will never notice that the stove clashes with the marble because the marble looks so good with all the other colors. But stark white cabinets, no that will never work, sorry.

Here are some color choices that MAY work - these are HD's Behr (do NOT use this on your cabinets - I bought these paints on sale super cheap - but Behr is a horrible paint). For my bedroom I chose yellow and grey - a GREAT combo - so cream and marble should work great too.

My yellow is "Melted Butter" but that is probably too dark; Opal Cream (300A-1) is two shades lighter and may work as a cream. Another chip I have is called Ivory Invitation (310A-1) (a bit more pink, so may look good with that stove), and another is Honeysuckle White (330C-1) (a bit more beige, may also work with your stove). Actually I really like Gold Buttercup (310A), but it might be too bright and take away from everything else in the kitchen - you don't want the cream to overpower the sage accents around the stove - they should balance each other or the sage should be more powerful. Opal Cream seems to be the best calm yet cheery color I have that won't overpower a kitchen.

The greys I have are Flint Smoke (730F-4) (trim), Amphibian (730F-6) (dark accent wall), and Sparkling Spring (730E-2) (supposed to be for ceiling, but way too light, I reverted to an old color called Misty Surf).

Note that you must look at the chip in the room it will be in, in various light (natural, at night etc), and then buy some samples and paint a few boards to test the colors out for real - trust me, our painter put BM's "Bordeaux" on our house and instead of dark burgundy it looked clown purple! I had to have a custom paint mixed to fix it.

Also, these colors work in my bedroom, where the greys appear true grey, but in my current light they seem to have a green undertone. Oh yeah, another nice pale yellow-cream by Behr is called Havana Cream - that is my living room color (old, don't know if they'll have it). My white trim is all "Pot of Cream" but that looked yellow in the store and a true warm white in my house, definitely something I would NOT use with that stove / marble.

You really need a WARM cream, not a cool white.

A nice sage green that could work for your accents is BM's "Garden Path" (466) - that is the color of my house - it looks just like the chip (matte stain), but my trim in semi-gloss oil looks totally two shades lighter than the chip (started with High Park, upgraded to Cambridge Green, seriously considering going all the way to Backwoods).

I'd definitely focus on a cream that works with the marble - as long as they work well together then the slate grey and sage green accent colors will work.

As far as actual paint for your cabinets, once you choose a color I'd invest in Fine Paints of Europe - oil in a satin finish (gloss will compete with your marble).

As for wall color, personally I'd go with a dark charcoal with window / door trim painted either the cabinet cream or sage (depending on layout). Usually kitchens have very little actual wall showing, so the dark color doesn't make the room feel dark, but it pops the cabinets instead.

Backsplash - maybe a rough tumbled slate mosaic - good texture and it would tie everything together.

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a gas/wood combo and it does work. It came from a small company that cleans up old stoves, makes sure all the gas valves etc are good, puts the necessary saefty kits in them, and then resells them. The prices are more then you would pay for a stove on craigslist, but nearly not as high as some of of $5000-$6000 fully restored vintage stoves.

I'm loving the green cabinets idea... and I've mentally accepted the likelyhood of changing my countertops to something a little warmer... but keeping with the lighter colors. For some reason though, I don't love granite... I can't explain it, but I just can't take granite when I could have marble.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Ha! More posts while I was typing!

NO! Do NOT paint that stove - I agree with your husband! I refused to have my red Chambers painted to remove one tiny scuff on the bottom!
    Yes, that IS the original paint finish!

I too am designing my kitchen around my red stove (wanted a powder blue one, plans changed ;) I am using Jadeite (as Lavender Lass posted) and pale blue / aqua accents (to go with my Jadeite and aqua glass collection). I'm going Mid-Mod, but my original plan was 1920's Arts and Crafts walnut with Jadeite accents (too expensive).

Shaker cabinets go with that stove - AND with beadboard, so like I said, mix it up! That's what I'm doing.

Has your marble already been cut? If so, are you sure you'll get your money back?

BTW: how much does Carrara go for? I want a 28"x40" slab for a baking counter, but I'm afraid of the cost.

There is a really awesome book on 1920's Kitchens - I think it's called "Craftsman Kitchens" but it could be "Bungalow Kitchens." The authors have written other popular books on Craftsman Living Rooms, Exteriors etc. I can't find mine - I am under construction and my books are in boxes piled 10 feet high. That book was like the diary of my house - they even have pics of one kitchen that was not yet restored - a dark yellow / brown color - a Mission style door that matches my wainscotting exactly - I saw that and HAD to have THOSE cabinets - I found them and STICKER SHOCK! So, I decided to go a completely different, more modern route.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

OK, I hate granite too ;)

Of all those tiles, only the last two seem like they might work (Tuscany Canyon and Crema Cappucino). But you'd have to get a sample first and see it next to the stove.

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys... I'm bad with color. I cant mentally carry a color, and its not always feasible to get eveything in a room to make the right decisions.

PS - I have lots and lots of beadboard already.... one entire wall is beadboard (floor to ceiling... I love it).

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe cabinets along these lines (minus the gold accent):

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

htracey, now that I know how close by you are, we could just take the whole problem off your hands!

Seriously, I think Natschultz is on to something with his sage green and cream idea. A friend has a nice yellow/cream room with a marble counter and it looks great.

• plllog
    13 years ago

WHOA!!! Wait! If you can't undo the marble deal, you might be able to make it work!!

First of all, remember that things don't have to match. Having a little tension is a good thing. You get pop that way, instead of blend, which can be boring.

While Carerra may be too cool for the body of the stove, it's perfect with the black top. There's no need to take a major financial hit if you still love the marble. If you really want to change, consider donating it if you can't get a significant amount of money for it. You can donate at full price (check with your accountant).

If the cabinets aren't made yet, you can change the color, otherwise, you can paint them and enjoy the brushstrokes, which will pair well with the vintage stove. I'd go with a muddier green than in your picture--something more olive-y, with both yellow and red undertones to pair well with the stove, or more toward the sage to agree more with the carerra.

Re the gold accents, I like them in the photo, but I think they'd compete with, rather than enhancing the (gorgeous) stove.

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm looking to vintage wallpapers for inspiration...
    Think I could make something work with these two papers?

I felt like the pink paper is similar to the pink on the stove, so while I would never use a paper with this much pink, I liked how it looked with the white and grey. The blue white and grey paper are all cool colors but when I looked at it next to the stove I thought it looked good for colors.. but again I'm not good at this stuff..

and

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anybody? Maybe I need to start a new post... I'm sure nobody wants to read all the way down to the bottom of this one..

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Are you going to have an island, work table or baking center, that is not right by the stove? I would use the marble in that area and maybe use butcher block or another wood on some of the other counters.

I love marble, but I'm a little afraid to use it on all the surfaces...especially by the stove. What about a quartzite, like Snow White? It's beautiful, supposedly very durable and should blend well with your marble.

The great thing about a vintage kitchen...you can use lots of countertops and mixed elements (as long as they look like they belong) and it makes the kitchen look more unfitted...less like you went out and bought it all at once, or did a major remodel :)

A couple more pictures....marble work table (that wood tone would be a beautiful accent to your vintage stove)...and Snow White quartzite countertop.

{{gwi:1435527}}

{{gwi:1799819}}

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think a lighter version of the background color in the top paper might make a good cabinet color, as long as it doesn't go too white or pastelish.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

htracey, that green cabinet is too fancy for your house style and the style of the stove. I'd stick with a simple Shaker flat panel or beadboard - your stove has an informal look to it. That green is a great color though - without the gold accents.

As for wallpaper, hold off on that! You should post pics of your kitchen - looking at the wallpaper I think it may make the space way too busy.

I still think (as many other people here agree) that you can use the marble with creamy cabinets and sage / slate around the stove. Lots of kitchens have a mix of countertop surfaces and it works - especially a period kitchen. I also agree that putting marble next to a stove is a no-no whether it matches or not - it will crack if you put a hot pot on it. Soapstone is the only stone that can truly withstand heat; butcherblock would be ok since it can be refinished if scorched (as long as it is finished in a natural oil - not poly).

Can you post more info about your kitchen? A layout, pics? It is really hard to envision when there is nothing real to work with (I have my own vision which is probably way off the mark ;).

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

A few green kitchens...I think the key to green cabinets are to keep them light and soft, so it says green, not GREEN, as in Kermit the Frog :)

{{gwi:1799821}}

{{gwi:1799822}}

{{gwi:1799823}}

Oh, and if you like any of these, be sure to save them, because my Photobucket is getting full and they'll probably be gone in a few days...

Here's a link to some pretty paint colors, from BH&G...on the Jaditekate blog. If you click on the picture it will get bigger and you can read most of the names. I like the Celadon and the minty one, below Mermaid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jadite paint colors

• htracey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not putting the wallpaper in my kitchen (it to expensive for that because it is actually an old roll from the 1940's), I was just looking at it for some old colors.

As for the countertops near my stove - there won't be any. This is going to be a free standing stove, at it is also a woodburning stove. The closest countertop to the stove will a doorway's width and a couple feet away.

• ellaf
    13 years ago

An idea for you - use the wallpaper as a backsplash and cover it with glass. I think the pink one is lovely - not sure how it would go with everything else.

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

Here is my "Baby" and the paint is original. You can see how a darker green as well as a blue would look next to it. Also, the walls are painted BM's Flowering Herbs.

Here are a couple of pictures of my island with marble top and Baby. Depending on the positioning of your stove, maybe do the countertops around it in soapstone and the rest as marble? Whatever you do, can't wait to see pictures of your finished kitchen with this gorgeous stove!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Farmhousebound- Every time I see your kitchen, I just love it! It makes me want to invite myself over, for a cup of tea :)

I'm thinking about painting my island green and the hutch blue, so it's great to see how your colors work so well, with the wood and white.

Htracey- Do you have any pictures or a floorplan of your kitchen? Now, you've made me curious...look forward to seeing your space!

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Farmhousebound,

Is that one of those very expensive custom hoods? Or is that a wood hood with metal trim and insert?

I really need a custom wall hood as well to go over my Chambers Range, but the one that fits the space is Rangecraft and it is $4,500 on CLEARANCE (in stainless, not painted)! So I was thinking of building one out of wood with stainless trim and popping in an insert.

Thanks!

BTW: I'm going Mid-Mod, but my colors are also blue (or aqua) and Jadeite green. My original plan was Mission cabinetry in walnut with Jadeite accents and a powder blue stove. I ended up with a red Chambers instead, so I'm going more bold with either steel blue or aqua cabinets and a Jadeite backsplash. I have a decent collection of Jadeite and aqua glass, so that was my jumping off point (but that stuff sells for WAY too much nowadays).

I'm mixing up colors on both cabinets and countertops - wall cabs will be either steel blue or aqua, freestanding hutch will be high gloss red to match stove, base cabs will either match wall cabs (depending on price quote I get) or Stainless Steel or a dark matte charcoal. The island base cabs will either be matte charcoal or high gloss red (probably charcoal so that it doesn't compete with the stove and hutch). Countertops along wall (each side of Chambers Range) will be either soapstone or concrete. Island workspace counters will be the same, and raised bartop will be butcherblock - was going to be natural Cherry if I went with walnut cabs, but I have to see how that looks with the high gloss red. I might have to go with maple stained ebony.

My floor is natural Tung Oiled Sassafras, so I'm ignoring it as a neutral (yellows / oranges / browns - darkens with age). All my other appliances are stainless and take up one entire wall (except a few blue or aqua cabs above going to ceiling).

My kitchen will definitely be "ecclectic" but that works for me. The key to mixing colors and surfaces is to have a balance so it doesn't appear BUSY. Your eye must be able to "rest" and all the stainless does that in my layout.

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

natschultz - the hood is a Modern Aire hood--a little pricey but I fell in love with it the first time I saw it posted on here and knew I couldn't put anything above "Baby" but it. You need to look up Marthavilla's red hood over hers--looks fantastic and I think it was color-matched to her stove (hopefully she will check in here and post a picture or two). Check out this link to the Modern Aire hood gallery site--there are several of us forum members whose hoods/stoves are shown: http://modernaire.com/Photo_Gallery.html

I love all of the color you are talking about bringing in to your kitchen; my only caution would be having the hutch (and possibly the island) the same red as your chambers as you really want her to shine and to be a focal point.

• natschultz
    13 years ago

I wish gardenweb had better search features! Yes, I love the Modern Aire hoods, but they are very pricey!

I probably won't paint the island red (charcoal instead) because looking from the family room it is a straight line to the Chambers. But the hutch (technically a floor-to-ceiling 15" deep dish cab) will be totally separate - on a narrow 36" wall between 2 doorways facing into the kitchen, so it won't really compete with the stove, but pick up on it. The stove will definitely POP since it will be surrounded with pale blues, greens and grey / stainless. That's why I really want a red hood.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

green which has more perkiness in it is more historical than the sage greens. There was a lot of green in pre-WWII kitchens.