SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

OT- help selecting surround material for fireplace

brianadarnell
13 years ago

Hello All, I know this off topic, but your taste is excellent so I wanted to see if you could help...

In our new build, the gas fireplace is installed and the painted white mantel is ordered. We have decided to go with a quarter sawn vertical oak wood floor finished in place. We won't select the stain until later, but for now, I need to select a granite or marble for the hearth/surround. We are not doing a raised hearth, but plan to do an in floor hearth in the same material as the surround. Should the granite be relatively light (like the floors) or is dark ok?

This fireplace will be in our great room which is open to the kitchen and dining room. The kitchen cabinets are white on the perimeter and maple with a glaze. All granite in the kitchen will be giallo ornamental.

I really want to use a granite on the fireplace that will blend with our furniture etc or if we decide to change our furniture later.

Please help! Any pics would be greatly appreciated! Below is a photo of our cabinets with one of the slabs of GO. Our doors are different but the colors are correct.

Comments (5)