SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmagique

Can you please critique my copy and my pics?...

mmmagique
16 years ago

Hi...I've been lurking and learning for a few weeks now, and we are finally ready to take the plunge. We are probably going to sign with our agent tonight, but, I also listed on Craigslist, and will on others.

Here is the link to Craigslist;

http://louisville.craigslist.org/rfs/405956401.html

I'd be happy to take any advice you may have.

Thanks so much!

~Christina

Comments (17)

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

I'll offer my opinion on the pictures, sorry to be critical. The picture of the dining room has a very prominent lamp in the foreground -- you should take a picture at a better angle that will feature the dining room and not the lamp......the 2nd kitchen picture does nothing for the kitchen other then make it appear to be a very narrow galley kitchen, I think the first kitchen shot would be enough to convey the features of the kitchen.......in the first picture of the living room, that lamp is featured again and even goes so far as to hide the fireplace....the second picture of the living room is really not needed because all we see is your entertainment center, perhaps you need to shoot the entire living room from a different angle......neither of the bedroom shots are to my liking, again try another angle. You're trying to convey the size and shape and features of the room, not the furnishings within the space......

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Christina,
    This is a quick first impression that I get from your post:
    - This isn't a "condo" to me; this is a townhouse, or maybe a townhouse condo. By stating "townhouse" you're stating nobody living above you or below you. "Condo" tells me that it's basically an apartment with a mortgage. I know this is regional, but that's just how I read it.
    - How many bathrooms? I want to know right up front, not dig through the listing. It looks like 3 pix of the same bathroom. Still not sure if there's a 2nd bathroom or 1/2 bath.
    - "Wood paneled" is not a good feature, IMHO. That speaks to me of a dark, 1970's bushy-mustache hangout. Not sure why, but that's what jumps to my head. A picture might correct this poor image. Is there any external exit from the basement? If not, be careful how you advertise the basement because local code may determine it's possible uses as living areas. If it does have a walkout (or even stairs out), I think it's worth mentioning.
    - I wouldn't state how much the bathroom renovation was, especially because it's 6 years ago.
    - You could probably use some decluttering before posting the pictures. I'm sure everyone else will pitch in with decluttering advice. House #1 is crooked. LR picture #2 is of nothing but your furniture. BA #2 is just the floor.
    Do your upper and lower kitchen cabinets really not match? Or is it bad lighting (due to being washed out in the sun)? Take the stuff off the counters and the the fridge and re-shoot with filtered lighting. Ditto clearing bathroom counters and tub.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck!

• Related Discussions

Please Critique My HomeMade EarthBox (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    Hydropetunia...from I can tell you have no holes drilled into the bottom (the lid) of the support that holds the soil. You need holes there 1/4" in diameter several of them to allow aeration for the roots. Second you didn't mention if you have drilled an overflow hole in the side of the container, which needs to be about 3/8" below the level of where the soil will sit. this prevents the potting mix from getting over watered. Lastly being in Z8b (I'm in S. Texas) the dark colored container in mid-late summer will really get heated up to the point of cooking the roots. Might want to try a lighter colored one or try shading the sides and as far as a tight fit, I used fiberglass window screen and lined the bottom with it( cutting out the hole for the wick) heres a pic taken 4 weeks ago of my BrandyBoys..they are bigger now. :) Here is a link that might be useful: This is where I got the idea of my HM EB
    ...See More

Stem rot on my DR. Please can you help me? Pics

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey Josh! Thanks a lot..I really appreciate it..For the life of me I can't remember what the weather was like back then..It sure looks like what you said.. I am glad I can finally say it is not because I am over watering....Am I wrong to think that the rot starts from the bottom up with overwatering? Jojo....I am so happy to hear that yours is doing ok..That is exactly what happened to mine.. It would of been nice not to loose the tops and have to cut them off so I could of had straight up one stemed plants, but I will take anything as long as they make it and they are healthy.. Happy growing! Mike
    ...See More

My FSBO Marketing Plan...please critique

Q

Comments (21)
    We sold FSBO before. A couple weeks into selling, the flyers were gone one or two hours after we refilled with new stack but no one called. Finally one day I saw a woman took the entire stack of flyers out of the box. Later we learned that she was a realtor in the neighborhood who was also selling her house. We waited her to show up again, we walked toward the box with new flyers in hand. It was the last time our flyers 'disappeared'. We sold our house fairly quickly while hers was still on the market. It was a good feeling.
    ...See More

My first time protecting my Roses. Have you done yours? Pics Please

Q

Comments (28)
    I will take pics...Been sick for a few days... I am beginning to think that for some of us growing 'roses' is an ALL season project..Not only do I have to protect them but I also have to watch out they don't desiccate in the winter too..If the snow should not fall and the bare ground is exposed to sub 0 temps or higher with whipping winds, the ground can go bone dry even in winter..So here I am watering all my roses deeply on the first given warm day above 40.....I know that many die just to a lack of moisture in the dead of winter... Thanks for the encouragement.. It does fell like I want to garden out there too since my temp is a balmy 60 degrees right now! Back to the low 20's by day and single digits by Saturday night with a bare ground again..My bulbs are starting to pop up...lol
    ...See More
  • mmmagique
    Original Author
    16 years ago

*lol* no, the cabinets do match. And the kitchen is very small. I agree with the paneling in the basement...(for some reason the Mr. loves it, don't really know why)

De-cluttering...hmmm...I have been back and forth to the storage unit a million times over the last couple of weeks. *lol*

It actually looks very neat for such a small space with 2 kids, 4 cats, and 2 dogs who allow 2 adults to stay with them! (not that that matters to potential buyers, of course!) I will talk to my sweetie and our rea tonight regarding all of your suggestions.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

~Christina

• triciae
    16 years ago

Condominium and Townhouse are descriptive legal terms to define types of property.

A buyer of a condominium owns his or her individual unit, plus a percentage of the surrounding property, including land and any amenities on the property. (The word "condominium" is Latin, meaning "common ownership" or "common control.") Residents are members of a homeowners' association and pay a monthly fee to the association in exchange for maintenance of the common property. Each condominium complex has a master deed which outlines the percentage of ownership each unit in the development has invested in the entire complex. That percentage determines residents' monthly dues to the association. Condominiums come in a wide variety of architectural styles, from two- and three-story buildings arranged apartment-complex style with carports to luxurious high-rise properties with sweeping views of the surrounding city or ocean.

A buyer of a townhome purchases his or her individual unit, as well as the ground underneath that unit. Each townhome has its own roof, in contrast to condominiums. Townhome residents also typically belong to a homeowners' association and pay monthly fees in exchange for the general maintenance of common outdoor areas. Townhomes occasionally come with such single-family home amenities as garages and backyards (albeit small backyards), for which owners generally are responsible for maintaining.

About the pictures:

1.) You have a lot of large furniture in a small space. I recommend removing, if possible, about half. Seriously, the living room/dining area would appear so much more spacious with only half of the furniture. There's nothing wrong with your decorating or furniture. In fact, I like it. That's not the point. The point is trying to make your property appear as large as possible for potential buyers;

2.) I agree about the bathroom(s). Is there a second bath? If so, mention it. Also, clear out all of the personal items from the sink area as well as the tub/shower for the pictures. Eliminate the picture of the floor. I also agree about the price of the remodel. Do not mention that. First, it's no longer new & to some $10K will seem like a lot & to others it will not. Just don't mention it & you erase a potential negative;

3.) In general, your pictures are of your furnishings & not the house. Removing half of the furniture will make it much easier to photo the rooms to advantage; and

4.) Do you have a patio or deck? If so, I'd like to see a picture.

Mostly, I just think you need to clear out a lot of furniture & then reshoot the photos.

Good luck & I hope you get a quick sale!

/t

• xamsx
    16 years ago

You need a tighter, non-crooked shot of the front of the house.

The dining room picture is lighter on your website then on Craigslist, but as Cordovamom pointed out the lamp is far too prominent. Remove the lamp, move the couch out of the shot, remove all the "stuff" from the buffet, two chairs, whatever is in the corner by the door and retake the picture so it is tighter. Also, see what a picture of the doors to the kitchen closed looks like. It may be too dark, and you'll need extra lighting, but it could make it actually look like a formal dining room. I also wouldn't put up the dining room shot from the living room.

Your best kitchen picture has distracting shadows in it. Maybe retaking at a different time of day? Your cupboards look like they are different colors. Are they? I'd also take all but one object off the counter - at least for the picture. You have no countertop space and the items highlight that.

Living room - For the picture, I'd move the cactus from in front of the window. It blocks it. I'd also clear out whatever is next to it on the floor. Take out the coffee table. Remove whatever is on the lamp table (leave the lamp). Why do you have a picture of your entertainment system? No one is buying your furniture.

The master bedroom does not look light and airy from your photo - it looks dark and cluttered. Remove some of the "stuff" and get better lighting. You don't need a second master pic, you just need one good pic.

Clean off everything from the bathroom counter top if you want that picture. It is picky, but make sure your towels are even. If you are choosing to use the shower picture, clean off everything from the tub. Ummm why do you have a picture of the floor?

Your text has problems too, but better text aficionado's than I will take it apart for you. Just remember - spell check is your friend. :-)

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

I agree with all of Triciae's suggestions, especially that lamp! Seems like it follows you from room to room! Also, $10k on a bathroom?! I'm shocked you could spend that much on this particular bathroom...doesn't seem like anything special. But my first reaction is: Who cares? Buyers don't care how much money you've put into your house.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

Sorry to sound critical, but I agree with above posters:
    - Get a tighter picture of the outside of the house.
    - It looks tight and cluttered - box up amd moved out 70% of your decorative items and try to take out a few pieces of furniture.
    - Take picures that show more of the house and less of the lamps, chairs, bed.
    - Include Sq footage, number of bedrooms, baths in the CL listing.
    Good luck!

• vulches
    16 years ago

My advice - find another place to post pictures that doesn't pop an ad up on every single click of a picture. That's enough to make me close the page and stop looking.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I don't think you have too much furniture, it just looks that way in the photographs. There is too much going on. If you are taking the photos yourself, remove most of the knickknacks and a piece or two of furniture if they are messing up the photos. Then put them back. Especially the bathroom stuff.

I didn't get the pop-up on your website, I must have the right blocker in place. However, I had to scroll down to see the large view each time I clicked on a photo. That got old quickly. I don't know if the site allows it, but maybe you could reverse the positions of the description and the large photo?

And two minor nitpicks on your description:

Even though this is a very quiet neighborhood,you are also within easy walking distance of restaurants, shops and a grocery store. Two carports are included with the condo, and there is extra guest parking if needed. This is a place you can truly call home, and it won't last long! Call 502-253-9445 or email us at mmmagique@bellsouth.net to schedule a showing. You'll be so glad you did.

Consider:
    This is a quiet neighborhood within easy walking distance of restaurants, shops and a grocery store.
    Leave out:
    and it won't last long!
    You'll be so glad you did.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

My advice - find another place to post pictures that doesn't pop an ad up on every single click of a picture. That's enough to make me close the page and stop looking.

You may want to go to Pands free scan to make sure your computer isn't infected with adware / spyware. I'm not seeing what you are.

I'd be happy to take any advice you may have.

I looked at both - the craigslists ad & Angelfire. On craigslists I like a bulleted list of features instead of reading a few lines. Makes it easier to glance at features when there after reading so many ads.. btw, you can use HTML at Craigslists, so you can bold and make fonts larger.

Example:

$133,500 Gorgeous well-maintained 1246 Sq. Ft. 2 bedroom condo in a well-established neighborhood on Louisville's East end. No neighbors above or below you. Less than one block from Plainview swimming pool, park, and tennis courts.

* Extra large bedrooms
    * formal dining room
    * Living room with blah blah fireplace
    * Recently renovated master bedroom with bath
    * Large, (438 sq. ft) partially finished basement which is perfect for an office, playroom / sitting area.
    * Basement features seperate laundry / work room
    * 1684 Sq. Ft total living space!
    * Two carports with extra guest parking

Not only will you get a beautiful, immaculately maintained condo in one of the most desireable areas of town, you will also be blessed with some of the best neighbors you could wish for!

Located in a quiet neighborhood that is within easy walking distance of restaurants, shops and grocery store.

This is a place you can truly call home, and it won't last long! Call XXX-XXX-XXXX or email us at I'mSold!@WeLoveTheCondo.net to schedule a showing. You'll be so glad you did.

HTH - wish I had time to look at the pics!

• mmmagique
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all SO much. Rselvr, I really appreciate your suggestions reg. Craigslist...I'll have sweetie get right on that this weekend.

Everyone else's suggestions are great...it's almost impossible to get a good angle with all that stuff around, and, well...let's put it this way...if I said you have two choices...get rid of all of this stuff, or get rid of me...I'd have to stay with one of you all. So....

A broker friend gave me some advice on wording, but, so far, it can only be found here: http://www.postlets.com/rem/205311

And I'm sorry to the poster who had trouble with pop ups, but, I haven't had that trouble either. (last time I did I did have a worm)

I guess except for some changes that I actually have control over, most of this will have to do. It's not our only marketing, but, I negotiated 1 and 1/2% off of the commission if we bring in our own buyer. Maybe not much chance of that, but, we like having it...

Thanks again everyone!

btw...do people look for houses over Labor day weekend? Just curious what to expect.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Everyone else's suggestions are great...it's almost impossible to get a good angle with all that stuff around, and, well...let's put it this way...if I said you have two choices...get rid of all of this stuff, or get rid of me...I'd have to stay with one of you all. So....

I am the queen of "stuff". I swear it's why we need a bigger house. The stuff makes me happy, what can I say?

All you have to do is pack some of it away. The rest, you can move out until you get a picture, then put it back.

Looking at the photos, I have to say that lamp needs to go. Do you have a vase or something to put there just for the pictures? You can put the lamp back when your done.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

You don't have to remove all the stuff forever, just to take the pictures. Sometimes the furniture just gets in the way. I agree about the lamp and coffee table. Remove them for the picture and then just put them back.

I find it helps to stand back and take a very critical look at what you are taking a picture of.

You need to remove some of the clutter in the pictures, too. And yes, straighten the towels in the bathroom.

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I didn't have any problem with popups and my popup blocker isn't even on right now.

I'm no expert, but I like what I saw about your home. It looks like it has good traffic flow. I don't know if it's done, but since I can't see every room, is it common to put a houseplan with the photos?

I agree with everyone about the clutter, especially in the bathroom & kitchen. It looks like you have no counter space in the kitchen with your appliances out. Put out fresh towels in the bathroom before you retake photos & make sure they are straight & even. It may not look as crowded as the photos make it look, it's just hard to get a shot that takes in a whole room.

But the main thing I wanted to say was about the fan in your bedroom. Makes me think there is something wrong with the a/c & that room is hotter than the rest of the house. And I would turn the comforter over so it's pattern doesn't conflict with the wallpaper.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

And yes, straighten the towels in the bathroom.

Not only that but bedding also....

I was trying to get pics of our recently redone master and had to keep walking back in the house (I was standing outside of the window) because when I was inside it looked fine but as soon as I got outside I could see it was crooked.

• mumbles
    16 years ago

How much are the monthly fees and what rooms have a good view? Need to show that if you have one. I always want a room with a view.

• mmmagique
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I have a good view of my neighbors back lot. *lol* She is an incredible garderner and it's very lovely, but, I don't peek over there much, I feel like a voyeur...

Here is the actual listing my REA put up. My suggestions for her are, kitchen pics, pics of both bedrooms and both bathrooms, and WAY WAY less of the back lot area. (I'm not sure what she was thinking there *lol*)

Anyway, we seem to have generated a lot of interest, and whenever we have a showing, I go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, and do all of the things that are suggested when you sell a home.

Honestly, everything we can put in storage already is. The other 'clutter' is his, and quite valuable, at least to him, so, it stays until we go. *lol*

Thanks so much!

~Christina