SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
civ_iv_fan

theoretical vestibule / mudroom addition - a couple of questions

civ_IV_fan
12 years ago

At our house, the front door opens right into the main living room. We use the side entrance, but it opens directly onto a stair landing with no room for storage of coats and shoes. We survive, but with a growing family, it would be nice to have a mudroom / vestibule off of the side entrance.

The thing about the side entrance is that it enters the house at ground level, and then immediately you walk up a few stairs to the first floor or a few stairs to the (finished) basement.

So, I'm contemplating a small addition off of the side. There are two possible routes this might take. The first an unheated addition that keeps the existing exterior door.

The second method would incorporate the addition into the heated part of the home. What I'm wondering is the short foundation wall. Because if you put on an addition, the only opening to the current house would be the current exterior door -- on either side of this door is about 3 feet of foundation wall. Would there be any possible way to take down this wall so that there wasn't a doorway separating the house from the little addition? Or would I need to maintain this wall "inside" of the addition?

My second question is simple: what kind of foundation would I need? A slab I presume. Would the foundation vary depending on whether it was unheated (like an enclosed porch) or heated?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the proposed addition would sit on what is now a concrete driveway.

Comments (3)