SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Remodeling for Sale

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I know there is a remodeling forum, but this is more of a question regarding the effect our changes might have on eventual resale.

We are soon to be empty nesters with no immediate plans to sell. We need to update our master bath, and all of the second floor flooring (carpet) needs to be replaced. So I'm wondering if this would be a good opportunity to add a 4th bedroom, and make better use of the space we have. We have a lot of poorly designed wasted space. His and hers closets that are not very functional. A balcony off our bedroom (used for storage) overlooking a sunroom, A huge master bedroom 17 x 21. We could cut our master down to 16 x 15, add a 10 x 12 bedroom next to the master, combine the 2 master closets into one well designed closet, and fit a nice 5 x 5 storage closet in the upstairs hall. .

DH thinks our "huge" master will be a good selling point, but our home is 2300 sq ft and in a neighborhood where almost every home has 4-5 bedrooms. I should mention that we technically have 4th bedroom on the first floor but it is just off the family room and not really ideal as a bedroom - better as an office.

I like the idea of having a separate room next to the master for my exercise equip, and it would also make a nice office or potential nursery.

This change would also allow me to fix some other minor "issues" with out current layout, such as attic access.

So my question is whether a huge master is more valuable than an extra bedroom and better storage space. I would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Comments (9)