SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tower_gw

Buying an entry door

tower
15 years ago

I need a new front entry door. I always try to buy things a little better than what I had before, but in this case I'm not sure what that means. My current door is a steel door of unknown brand. It seems like a solid door, but unfortunately there's rot & termite damage in the frame around it. So, time for a new one.

I think I'd prefer a steel door for the security, but fiberglass seems so popular, I'm considering that also.

I've found the Provia site and they seem like really nice doors. Security is a big concern for me and these seem to be well-built. I've also read up on Therma-Tru and Plastpro. Although these may not be the same as Provia, they seem to be quality names.

Which brings me to my first question. I hope the question is not verboten. What can I expect to pay for a solid (no glass) door for each of the brands I've named? I currently have a smooth surface, but am also considering a grain look.

Which brings me to my second question. Is it foolish to paint a door with a grain finish? Or will the grain shine through? My new door will be painted.

Considering my security concerns, are there any upgrades I should get when purchasing a door? Multi-point lock (would this be a negative at resale?), composite framing, etc?

Thanks for any help you can give this poor noob!

Comments (8)