SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

2010 Birthday Block Exchange

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

It looks like I will be coordinating the 2010 Birthday Block Exchange. I looked back to see when Vicky began taking sign ups last year and it was in mid-September so I will start next month and will probably start to put the groups together in mid-October. But watch for me to post more before signing up. It will be very similar to what we have done in the past. However, I would like to hear (privately, by e-mail, not here on this board) the names of people who did not fulfill their obligation in 2008 and 2009. Now, if someone is only slightly overdue, please give them a chance before telling me. Okay? People who have not sent their blocks will not be able to sign up in the standard manner.

I also had a suggestion that I get a phone number for each person who signs up (not to share with everyone, just for me so if the person who has not received and I don't get an e-mail response way after something was due, I can try to reach the person and see if they have been sick, or whatever.) What do you think of this? If you are really in favor of it or really opposed, let me know - privately is fine. Okay? Although, with our international friends, I don't know that I will be able to call - maybe a letter will be sent if I need to check on things.

I am just happy to continue this great exchange so it will not come to an end. I have been thrilled with how timely and organized everyone has been in my groups for the two years. Anyone who has not participated or has had bad luck in the past and is concerned, the majority of us have been really happy with how things went and I will do all that I can to make sure your year is fun and you receieve your blocks. Please, however, sign up with a firm intent to do your part. There will be major issues if someone gets all his or her blocks early in the year and does not send. That is not at all acceptable.

My plan is to get out the names of those in each group by at least early November. I know that is quite a bit before 2010, but I figure that gives you plenty of time - even before the holidays - to get any January blocks made. I will resend the list after Christmas, too, in case the list gets misplaced. If you make blocks early, just remember where you put them if they get set aside during the holidays. Sounds like it could happen. Yes, Christmas makes some of us a bit crazy and I know some will be traveling over the holidays, etc.

For anyone who may want to join after early November (when I have already assigned groups), I will keep a waiting list through to the end of December and if we get 13 people, there will be another group. We may also need people to fill in if someone should drop out before 2010 begins so either way, someone who sees this after mid-October may still contact me and end up in a group.

You may join up to two groups. I think that has been the rule in the past and you will get to suggest a block pattern and size and suggest colors for your blocks. The maximum size block that you can request will be 12 1/2" unfinished. As in the past, we like to make this something that even newer quilters can join, so I would appreciate it if no one selects an extremely difficult pattern. You may certainly indicate whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced quilter when you sign up and I will take that into account in assigning groups.

I will ask that your initial choice of block be a standard pieced block. I think in the past we have tried to stay away from applique blocks and paper piecing blocks because some cannot work with those techniques. However, I will ask this year for you list all the techniques you feel comfortable with. If we have 13 people who are comfortable with all (piecing traditional blocks, paper piecing, and applique), you will be given the option before I assign that group to change your block to another technique. You can even indicate your alternate selection when you sign up. Just make sure you list it as an alternate and say that it is paper pieced or applique. If there are enough to have that "special group" it will happen and if not, the block listed for you will be the standard pieced block.

I hope all that makes sense. I will do a better job with explaiing this before sign ups. If you sign up, you will definitely be in a group (unless it is towards then end and I just don't have enough people to make another group.) Likely it will involve making a standard pieced block, but if I shoud have 13 people who like to do paper piecing, applique, or both, we have a that special group where paper pieced or appliqued blocks may also be requested.

Please offer any suggestions to me as I put the rules in place.

So once again, get ready to blow out the candles on those birthday cakes!

Jeanne

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor