SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Shopping for the home for non toxic, eco friendly products?

Hi, I'm just starting to renovate our home. It's been awhile since I had to do any shopping. I was in Home Goods the other day and I was surprised by the level of chemical smells that I ran into. I couldn't wait to get out of the store. I ordered a pair of pajamas from the web from two different stores about a month ago and when I took them out of the box, they had this horrible chemical smell to them. I was shocked. Pajamas that you have to sleep in at night. I took them back. I could go on with other recent examples but I'm sure you've had similar experiences. I was hoping someone here might have discovered some stores or products that are 'non-toxic' and maybe we can help each other out by posting here when you run into a store or product that is either very toxic or very non toxic.

I tried IKEA recently and I do read their information on how their products are made. Some of their products are pretty good in that regard. I am shopping for a mattress box spring, sheets and comforters, mattress toppers and bedroom furniture at the moment. We brought home a nice chest of drawers and no odor at all when we took it out of the box. It was made of solid wood with the exception of a fiberboard back, which is not the MDF that I am trying to avoid, so I'm happy with that. Unfortunately, I also brought home a counter stool that had an upholstered seat and back with a cotton cloth cover that goes over it. We put together the stool and put the cover on and I left it in the LR over night because it is the wrong size and has to be exchanged. When I came downstairs the next morning, the odor of chemicals was permeating the downstairs. I am so disappointed because the stool is all wood and I really like it and the cover too, so I don't know what I am going to do with it, at this point.

I have been looking up 'organic' mattresses and sheets. Wow, are they expensive. I thought IKEA might have something close, but when I asked in the store, they told me the mattresses that are the most nontoxic are about $1,000. I am on a budget because this is for a guest room. So I googled them and companies that specialize in organic mattresses are very expensive. There is an actual retail store nearby and they run from $2200. for a set, to $6500. Horrible! What could be so expensive about producing a non toxic mattress? Wood, metal springs, some organic cotton batting and organic fabric covering, what's so expensive about that?

Sheets seem to be more available. I was pleasantly surprised. My daughter told me about a store called West Elm and they have a good selection of organic sheets. Not my style per se, pretty modern. but they look like good quality and didn't have the chemical odor when I brought home a set of solid color sheets. I did google 'organic' bedding and Amazon had some. Bed and Bath has one set.

That's about where I'm at with it and hoping to learn more about companies that I can find more of these type of products and what people's experiences with them are.

Comments (7)