SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

RECIPE: Mole Pablano

triciae
18 years ago

First, I do not serve the mole over chicken pieces as is traditional so no recipe here for the chicken part. I roast the chicken, remove from bones, shred, and use in enchiladas, tacos, or burritos. The sauce freezes well and holds for about 3 months. I've played with this recipe for a long time and have sized it to make about six cups of sauce so there's enough to freeze. Too labor intensive to make for Tuesday night din-din.

Here the Mole Sauce...(if it appears I've left a step out or something doesn't make sense please ask...I don't have this written down except for amounts of ingredients... Also, prepare this sauce using SS...do NOT use non-stick cookware. You will be cooking at fairly high heat with little in the pan.

2/3 Cup Whole Almonds

6 Dried Mulato Chiles (if I can't find this, I use 6 more ancho chilis)

4 Dried Ancho Chilis

4 Dried Pasilla Chiles

4 Cups Water

1 Teaspoon Salt

1/3 Cup Sesame Seeds

1/4 Teaspoon Anise Seed

1 Cinnamon Stick

4 Cloves Garlic, Unpeeled

1/4 Cup Lard (no substitutions if you want authentic flavor)

1 Dry Corn Tortilla

1/4 Cup Raisins

1/4 Teaspoon Ground Coriander

1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves

1/4 Cup Lard

1 1/2 Rounds Mexican Chocolate (I do use Ibarra)

3 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock (broth is too weak so if you don't have homemade stock...use broth & add some of that jarred stock base stuff...sorry, don't know the name of it but have heard it's good)

1.) Toast almonds in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until you start to smell them toasting...careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.

2.) Wash dried chilis and remove the stems and seeds. If you like extra hot...leave a few seeds. Open the chilis flat and place into a SS saucepan. Weigh them down with a small heat-proof bowl, cover chilis completely with water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, and cook for five minutes. The liquid will have turned red. Set them aside UNDRAINED.

3.) In a small, ungreased SS skillet, toast the sesame seeds over pretty high heat, tossing frequently to keep from burning. Continue roasting the seeds until they are a golden color (3-5 minutes). Remove the seeds from the skillet taking 2 Tablespoons of the seeds and putting them in a separate bowl. Use these reserved seeds for garnishing the finished meal.

4.) In the same skillet you roasted the sesame seeds in...toast, over medium-high heat, the anise seed, cinnamon stick, and unpeeled garlic. Continue roasting for about 3-4 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool. When cool, peel the garlic cloves and set them aside.

5.) In a blender, finely grind the cinnamon stick, anise seed, and sesame seed. Set aside.

6.) In a SS or cast iron skillet, heat the 1/4 cup of lard over medium heat and fry the tortilla until crip. If all you have are fresh tortillas, you'll need to do another step...dry it slowly in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes or so until it's dried out). Remove the tortilla from the skillet and set aside.

7.) In the same skillet you fried the tortilla in...fry the raisins briefly just until they poof up...do not burn!

8.) Break the fried tortilla into pieces and put in the blender. Blend into very fine crumbs. Add the cooled, toasted almonds and blend again until everything is very fine. Remove the tortilla/almond crumbs and set aside.

9.) Put the poofed raisins, sesame seed, cinnamon, anise, and garlic in the blender. Add coriander and cloves. Drain the cooled chilis and keep the cooking liquid from them. Add the chilis to the blender with the spices along with one cup of the chili cooking liquid. Blend very well for an even consistency. Add the almond/tortilla mixture and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Blend again thoroughly.

10.) In a large stockpot, melt the 1/4 cup lard. Add the chili mixture from the blender and fry over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly and quickly...do not allow to burn.

11.) Break the chocolate into pieces and add to the chili mixture. Turn the heat way down and cook for about another 10 minutes until the chocolate is completely melted and incorprated into the chili mixture. Stir constantly.

12.) Slowly, stir in the remaining chicken stock a little at a time blending well after each addition. Bring the sauce up to a boil...then immediately lower heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. If it seems to thick, add small amount of chicken stock to whatever consistency you like. I usually have to add some additional stock but less than a cup's worth.

Done...serve with chicken of your choice and enjoy!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County