SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Lighting for library with poor natural light

I am turning a disused guestroom into a library/sitting room. The idea IÂm going for is "cozy English library". I am trying to figure out lighting for this room and could use some advice. The room is pretty small, only 13 x 11 feet. There is only one window so it tends to be dark. Even in the daytime I find I have to turn on a lamp to be able to work in there. There is no ceiling light and putting one in is not in the budget. The wall switch controls one outlet socket.

I have plenty of table lamps I could use in there, except I did not really want to put a lot of tables in there. One long wall and one short wall will be all bookcases. The window wall will be open. The remaining wall, with a closet, will have another 2 bookcases. Some of the shelves will display my extensive pottery collection (gathered in over 20 years of art fairs) as well as the books. I plan on 2 easy chairs and 1 to 2 small side tables. Even if I put a lamp on each of those (which would tie me down to having them next to a wall, which I didnÂt want), it would not be enough light to see the books or the artwork.

The bookcases, made of medium reddish brown wood, are 79 inches high and the ceiling is 96. I could put short lamps either up on top, or ON some of the shelves (and put the wires where?), but I would think that since they are recessed back from the front of the bookcases, most of the light would be lost.

I looked at track lights but those are too modern. They could not be hardwired anyway. I thought of maybe 2 hanging swag lamps on chains, but that makes me think of chandeliers and thatÂs not right either.

I would take pictures but right now thereÂs nothing to see. We are assembling the bookcases and I want to figure out the lighting and the plugs before I move them into place.

Thanks!

Comments (8)