SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastbaymom_gw

just ordered cabinets -- need help with a flooring dilemma!

eastbaymom
14 years ago

So, my husband and I have taken the plunge on our kitchen remodel. We found a designer at a recent home show who we liked, and after she had visited twice, we checked her references and told her we wanted to hire her. Last week we met the contractor she recommends, checked him out, and they both double-checked measurements.

Monday we ordered the cabinets! Bellmont is the manufacturer (their parent company is Pacific Crest, who also make Amero cabinets).

I have a question I'm mulling over, about a flooring choice for the kitchen, so let me give a bit of background.

We are changing the footprint of the cabinets in our kitchen a bit. The room is 10x11, and is currently tiled. The tiles are fairly new (we think the previous owners redid them when they put the house on the market -- we moved in almost 2 years ago). The thing is, the kitchen has one whole wall open to the family room, which has a wood floor. We put that in, right after we bought the house, and I love it.

The current kitchen layout, circa 1987, has a peninsula that blocks our path between the sink and the sliding door to our backyard. The new layout removes the peninsula, and instead extends the cabinets along the wall with the sink all the way over to the left side of the sliding door. This way, we gain an upper cabinet and create more accessible storage space.

By changing the layout of the kitchen, though, we will be uncovering about 2x5 feet of untiled floor. Also, the cabinets along the wall with the sink will cross the "line" separating the kitchen from the family room.

So, we have discussed several options:

- find some matching tile to fill in the 2x5 spot

- choose a new tile, and cut into the wood floor at an angle so that all the cabinets are under tile

- pull up all the tile and extend the wood flooring throughout the kitchen

My concern is about the closeness of the wood tone of the floor and cabinets. The floor is like a medium tone cherry (it's actually an engineered hardwood from South America) with a fair amount of variation. The cabinets are also a medium cherry.

Will this be too much wood?

Does anyone have any pictures of wood cabinets with wood floors, to help allay my buyers' remorse?

You all know that feeling.... OMG, I just ordered $15K worth of cabinets, what if I made the wrong choice!!!

Sorry I don't have any visuals, I haven't scanned any of the floorplans yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our door style

Comments (6)