SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmlove_gw

RECIPE: Corn Chowder

dmlove
17 years ago

I got this recipe from recipezaar.com just by doing a search and reading the 21 reviews (now 22 with mine!). Really good. I used frozen corn (this is winter, after all) and because I had neither turmeric nor cumin, I substituted about 1/2 tsp. of curry powder. I also did not peel the potatoes.

CORN CHOWDER

2 cups corn (3 ears fresh)

4 oz. bacon, cut into 1/3" dice

2 T. unsalted butter

1 medium onion, cut into 1/2" dice

1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2" dice

1 sprig fresh thyme

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1/8 tsp. turmeric

1 lb. yukon gold potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2" dice)

3 cups chicken stock

kosher salt

fresh ground black pepper

2 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water

1 cup heavy cream

2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives or thinly sliced scallions (optional)

If using fresh corn, husk the corn, remove the silk, cut the kernels from the cobs, and scrape the ears and add to the bowl the milky substances that oozes from the cobs.

Heat 3-4 qt. heavy pot over low heat and add the diced bacon. Once it has rendered a few TBSP of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the bacon is crisp and golden brown. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp ofthe fat, leaving the bacon in the pot.

Add the butter, onion, bell pepper, thyme, cumin and turmeric and saute, stirring occasionally with a wooden sppon for about 8 minutes until the onion and pepper are tender but not browned.

Add the corn, potatoes and stock, cover and boil vigorously for about 10 minutes.

Use the back of a spoon to smash a bit of the corn and potatoes against the side of the pot. Season with s&p. Reduce heat to medium.

Stir the cornstarch mixture and slowly pour it into the pot, stirring constantly.

As soon as the chowder has come back to a boil and thickened slightly, remove from the heat and stir in the cream.

Garnish with chives or scallion.

(If not serving immediately, cook a bit, then refrigerate; cover AFTER it has chilled completely).

Enjoy!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville