SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Blue Jeans Quilt

calliope
15 years ago

OK, this is a fine time to ask since I am within a week of finishing it......but how big is too big? I'm famous for flying by the seat of my pants on projects, and should have thought about these issues before I started, but since it's a simple pattern (doing them like laying bricks, so the seams don't coincide when stitching the rows together) and I'm pretty much doing it in sections so I don't have all that bulk to deal with as I stitch on each row, I figure the ultimate size was something I could decide when it felt like I was reaching it.

Several things concern me, however. I know several of you have already done them, because your pictures are what inspired me. Somebody mentioned (and I laughed out loud) that they are so heavy it was like hoisting an X-ray apron. Yeah! I can see that now.

My g'son (whom I have in mind to give to, unless I fall in love with it myself) is a large kid, sixteen, over six foot and over two hundred pounds. He is a farm boy and outdoorsman and I can see him using this for his car, his bed, taking on hunting trips. So, I'd like it to be multi-functional. He won't have to worry if the dog jumps on it, or about grass stains. But, will a washing machine handle a jeans quilt if it is as large as a full sized bed quilt?

I was thinking about making it just large enough to cover the entire top of his mattress, without an overhang. Is that overkill? What sizes have other people done?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner