SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

No more Kenmore sewing machines!

vacuumfreak
11 years ago

This isn't specifically related to quilts, but more about machines... Has anyone noticed that Sears doesn't sell any Kenmore sewing machines anymore?

This issue is near and dear to my heart, because when a new sewer is looking for a sewing machine, I always send them after a Janome made Kenmore! They are good machines for beginners and well priced... or the were anyway.

I used to sell vacuums and sewing machines at Sears, and I know that the Kenmores that were Janome made were far better than the Brothers and Singers at the time.... I know Brother has come a long way since then (it was the early 2000s), but still, this upsets me!

I noticed there were no Kenmore machines on the Sears web site a few months ago, and yesterday, I happened to be in a Sears store checking out the vacuums. I always "talk shop" with the associate and tell them I used to do what they do, so they don't try to sell me anything... the woman there said that they haven't had Kenmore or Janome branded sewing machines for about 8 months and there were no plans to get them back.

The display models were all Singer and Brother, and not very good ones at that!

This stinks! Anyone know anything about this?

Where do we send newbies now? I have a neighbor who wanted to sew, and he asked me to look for him a decent used sewing machine on C/L. I told him a Kenomre with a drop in bobbin would be a good starter, but I've been looking for him for about a year and haven't found anything... maybe because they aren't being sold anymore! So, today he got a fairly recent Kenmore for 50 bucks, but it has a vertical bobbin which I hate for beginners to learn on... I'm going to show him how to use it tomorrow which should be great... I love teaching people how to use sewing machines, especially people who are green and don't have any bad knowledge to "undo"....

Anyway, just thought I'd share this news and see if anyone else knew about it!

What a sad day for appliance lovers... Just found out that Hoover is closing it's vacuum cleaner bag manufacturing plant and moving all bag production to China... what is the world coming to ? AAAAAAAhHHH LOL

I need to pour a glass of sangria and go spend some quality time with my buddy (the sewing machine) for therapy.... yeah, maybe not, the last time I mixed sangria and sewing, I ended up going to the repair shop :o)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!