SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Does anyone have computer problems on this site?

msrose
16 years ago

Sometimes my computer freezes up and I have to restart it and sometimes I will get an error and the internet shuts down (we have AT&T DSL). I told my husband that I'm thinking about getting a new computer. He's convinced the problem is with this website not the computer. I'm just wondering if anyone else has those problems when you're on here. If no one does then I'm getting a new computer. We just had this one wiped hoping that would fix it, but it's still doing it.

Laurie

Comments (21)

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I don't have any problems on this site. I use Firefox as my browser.

• happytinyhome
    16 years ago

I don't have any problems either, and I also use Firefox.

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

No problems, I use Safari.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Get the lastest anti-virus software and check your computer for viruses. Also run a defrag and repair any disc damage via system tools.

• norasnews
    16 years ago

Depends on how many browser windows I have open! If I am in photobucket, trying to ressize a photo, and also open in the forum, writing a post...I will craah. Very frustrating.

My error message says it is something to do with Flash....can't remember the exact message right now..

• judiegal6
    16 years ago

I never crash on here or other sites, I am also a Firefox user and lover.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

Use IE 7.0.5730 without problems. Have popup blocker turned on, cookies disabled.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmm, so I wonder if it has to do with my computer or my browser.

threegrad - we recently wiped the computer so that we could start with a clean slate. I've been using Norton for years, but for some reason I'm not able to run LiveUpdate anymore so my husband recently bought Webroot Spysweeper. I had never heard of it, but the guy at Best Buy recommended it.

love_the_yard - Maybe I'll try IE for a couple of days and see if it still happens.

If I were to switch to Firefox, is there any way to transfer my bookmarks from the browser I have now? I've saved so many decorating websites and pictures and I wouldn't won't to lose those.

Laurie

• brutuses
    16 years ago

My computer freezes lots more now that we have this "new" one. The computer tech who helped us retrieve our information from the old drive told us the newer the software, the worse it gets and now I see what he means.

• pahance
    16 years ago

I'm sure that Firefox will allow you to import your IE Favorites as you're installing the software. I know Opera does.

You know, Norton might be the culprit behind your computer crashing and malfunctioning. We used Norton for years as well, but over the past few years their quality has declined tremendously. We experienced the same kind of problems you're having on more than one computer, and all of them had Norton installed. We finally switched to McAffee and the crashing and freezing problems are no longer an issue.

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Keep 2 browsers. I use mozilla and explorer but there are a few sites mozilla is touchy on so I launch explorer when I use those odd sites....So if you don't want to import the bookmarks, etc. keep that browser and maybe try explorer for gardenweb...

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I have an odd issue here with signing in. I have to clean out my history and cookies fairly often because of another site I use (google mail), and when signing back on to gardenweb, I always have to sign in twice. It never accepts the first sign in.

• spy10021
    16 years ago

Not lately, but approx. 6 months ago my computer would ALWAYS freeze at this website, at least every 15 mins. (would drive my nuts).

I haven't had the problem lately

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Lately the pages are very, very slow to load - I use Firefox- Mac- Comcast- I've checked my speed - it is fine - emptied my cache - run maintenence by OnyX weekly. It is esp slow when I hit preview or submit - like just now - I walked away it is so slow.......

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Mine freezes up fairly regularly here with both IE and Firefox. I blame Vista though - I hate it hate it hate it, but unless I spent a stinkin' fortune on a Mac (I need a laptop rather than a desktop) I didn't have any other choice when my old laptop bit the dust last December. I've run multiple antiviral and anti-malware software packages to no avail. HP has no answers and tells me I can't wipe the hard drive and reinstall an older version of Windoze due to hardware incompatibility issues. Feh. I'm far too brainfogged to try to negotiate Linux. I do back up obsessively - my 'puter has a dual hard drive so I use the second drive to back up the first as well as using a couple of flash drives for documents, photos, and email. Those are dirt cheap now so there's no excuse not to have at least one! There's also a plethora of free online file storage sites to take advantage of.

At least if I'm halfway through a post Firefox will usually get it back for me, I'll give it that, and it does import your bookmarks during the installation process.

Oh, side note: some manufacturers are doing a really crappy thing and storing an image of your hard drive for a system restore in such a way that it is bollixed up by a defrag. Ran into that problem a few years back and had to spend nearly $50 on a set of restore DVDs as well as spending hours on the phone with tech support (in India, natch). Therefore, you should check your documentation before defragging.

• User
    16 years ago

I don't have any issues with this site. At my parents on their computer (it's old and they have dial up) most of the time if i'm on ebay i get that error message and i'm kicked out.
    not sure what the issue is but i don't think it's ebay's site.

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Laurie, we have AT&T, DSL, and Norton on this computer. No problems with crashing or using this site. I'm pretty religious about clearing off my history (like every other day) which does help to keep the clutter off. (go to Tools up in your toolbar, click on Internet Options, then click on Delete Browsing History, then click on Delete History, then "yes")

Also check to see how full your hard drive is: Close or minimize your browser windows, double click on My Computer, then right click on your Hard Drive C, and click on properties. That pie graph will show you how full your hard drive is. If it's pretty full, you may need some more memory on your computer. Check the D drive too.

Last, make sure you have checked for the latest updates from Microsoft. That will help keep your system running smoothly. :)

• redlodger
    16 years ago

I have Bresnan broad band and no problems with this website. A friend of DH's that used to be in the computer biz set me up on my computer with an Administrator and alternate user (me) with limited access. Anything bad that might hurt my computer cannot be installed when I am in the "limited access mode". I NEVER surf the net in the "Administrator" mode. I've had more success with this format than all of the spywear and stuff I had before. Oh, yeah-- I also have corporate Norton Antivirus.

Now if I could just get rid of all those annoying emails promising to "enhance the dimension" of a certain male private part, I'd be a happy camper.

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnmari - You answered one of my questions. If I got a new computer, I was going to see if they could replace Vista with XP. My husband didn't believe all the negative stuff about Vista, so he bought a new laptop with it. He also hates it.

sippimom - Wow, every other day? I hardly ever think about clearing off my history. I'll have to start doing that more often.

Laurie

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Low memory?

• msrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope, plenty of memory.

Laurie