SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

what size cabinet would you order for a shelf MW?

Mom23Es
12 years ago

I'm worried about the longevity of MWs and making sure I can always fit a new one in the cabinet. After my last post, I think I'm going to insist on an open cabinet of shelves. If I have shelves, I can raise and lower the shelf above the MW to compensate for height differences. I just want to store cookbooks and decorative items on the shelves above it.

I would LOVE it if I could get away with 24" wide and 15" deep cabinets. Is that playing it safe enough? Do I really need more space? Obviously I don't want to cut it too close and risk burning down my house!!! We might try to start off with a GE MW with a trim kit, but I have a feeling that in 5-10 years down the road we'll just put in a regular MW and forget about making it look built in.

FWIW- My builder really wants me to put in an OTR MW instead (although not actually over the range). I'm not sold on the idea. I'm trying to come up with my own plan to propose back to him. I know the look I want, but I don't know how to achieve it. He seemed very reluctant to go along with my shelf idea when I casually mentioned it before. I need to be more specific.

So, what size cabinet would you get for a shelf MW?

Comments (6)