SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_in_mn

Would you move m/w drawer to have 36 inch drawers?

david_in_mn
13 years ago

We are building a new home and I want some help with my kitchen cabinet layout. I have 48 inches to the left of my range. I had always envisioned the 24 in. microwave drawer in that area to maintain a cooking zone. The shop drawings are different, though. Starting 48" from the range, the cabinet maker put a 12" cabinet for cookie sheets, etc., then 2, 36" drawers for pots and pans and one shallow 36" drawer. To the right of the range is a 20" cabinet, then a corner cabinet. Around the corner is where he put the microwave drawer (with a 24" drawer underneath), followed by a 20" cabinet, then sink, then it goes on to the dishwasher, and more cabinets. Fridge, freezer, pantry is on wall opposite the sink wall and perpendicular to the range wall.

A little information about me: I don't use the microwave frequently. I don't have a ton of pots and pans (I tend to just use the same ones over and over again), but do have a tall stock pot/pressure cooker that I love that I would not even be able to fit in the 36" drawers because it would be too tall, at about 11".

I've read a lot on this forum about going wider for the drawers for pots and pans, but I've also read a lot about zones. Which would you advise? Keep the m/w drawer next to the range with 3 24" drawers around it (2 stacked and one below it), or move it away from the cooking zone to get the 36" drawers?

Comments (6)