SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewgp

Anyone seen a double curtain rod bracket like this before?

thewgp
14 years ago

Hope this is the right place - the Windows forum seemed to be about the windows themselves, and I saw some people discussing curtains in here.

Anyway, here's the situation: I have a house built 1946, with many original touches still left (we're the third owners). One of these "original touches" I'm trying to preserve are the curtain rod & holders, which were uniformly used throughout the house - even on the garage window, for example.

Unfortunately, at some point, the master bedroom was changed to have a traverse rod. We're removing that (because it's broken and rusty anyway) and would like to restore something similar to the original brackets if at all possible. The previous owners had the presence of mind to save the old RODS - they're custom cut for each window, so that's not an issue. What DID get lost are the brackets!

I've attached a link to a picture so you can see what these brackets look like. The little 'caps' on the ends screw off, you put them on the rod, then lift up the rod, slide the 'caps' back down, and screw them back onto the brackets.

Link: http://thegated.net/curtain/double.curtain.rod.bracket.jpg

There is no manufacturer or, indeed, any sort of information of any kind stamped or etched on any of the brackets around the house - and we have about 10 other sets of this type of curtain rod, so if there was any identifying information to be had, I'm sure it would be on there.

The house, as I said, was built in 1946 - I believe these curtain rods are original to the house and were in fact installed during/shortly after construction. This is a logical conclusion because unscrewing a couple of the brackets has revealed bare wood, never painted.

I've talked to a specialty drapery store and two neighborhood hardware stores (not big-boxes, actual neighborhood hardware stores open since the early 1900's) and none of them has been any help.

I'm guessing this is just a very old-fashioned design of curtain rod bracket, and I'm out of luck entirely other than combing over what turns up at estate sales or home demolition reclamation places. However, if anyone even knows the name or what to call this type of design, that would be a huge help - I've just been carrying one around to show everyone, since I don't even know what it's called. This has also meant information has been nearly impossible to find on the Internet!

Thanks in advance for your help! Again, don't forget to look at the picture I've linked to before going "what the heck is he talking about" - I'm sure I've done a bad job of describing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)