SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastbaymom_gw

1987 East Bay kitchen: to remove soffit or not? (5 photos)

eastbaymom
14 years ago

We're getting ready for demolition next month, and I wanted to share "before" pictures. Our kitchen is the original from when our home was built, and when we bought the house two years ago we knew we would want to remodel.

I have already ordered cabinets, so we are pretty much locked in on layout (wish I had found this site earlier!) They are a medium stain ("nutmeg") on cherry wood, in a modern version of Shaker style.

I'm fairly certain that we will be taking out the tile floor and putting down more engineered wood in the kitchen (understanding the risks of water damage).

My primary task in the next few weeks is to finalize the countertop and sink and faucets and backsplash, but I think I'm finding good inspiration here.

The current thing I'm agonizing about is the soffit, and whether to pull it out, so pay special attention to the ceiling in the photos, please!

Below is the view from our living room toward our backyard. On the right is the family room, and on the left is the kitchen. (Excuse the mess...)

The wood floor is our BR-111 engineered Amendoim. It's two years old and has worn fabulously through the other three rooms downstairs.
{{gwi:1790786}}From Before the Demolition, April 2010

The family room features popcorn ceiling and really old furniture, along with an oak plate shelf way up high which the previous owners put in. We don't use it, and I think it makes the room look smaller, so it is coming down. Other than that, we aren't doing anything in this room till after the kitchen is done. (Then, if we aren't totally broke, we can think about new furniture!)
{{gwi:1790788}}From Before the Demolition, April 2010

To the left of the family room is the kitchen. The current photo features our peninsula and our kitchen window.

We are changing the footprint of the cabinets to remove the peninsula. To provide more useable storage, we will run countertop between the sink and the sliding glass door, ending with a 24" wide pantry with pull-out shelves.

Also in the photo below, you can see the dishwasher is to the left of the sink. In the new cabinet footprint, we are moving it to the other side of the sink, where the peninsula currently runs into the wall.
{{gwi:1790791}}From Before the Demolition, April 2010

The fourth photo shows the wall with the stove, and on the left, the frustrating corner that no one can work in. We are taking out the cabinet above the stove, and putting in a range hood.
{{gwi:1790792}}From Before the Demolition, April 2010

The final photo shows a more straight-on view of the refrigerator wall. The door on the left goes into the dining room, which is the only eating space in the house. We are moving the refridgerator left, as close to that door as possible, in order to make the corner to the right of the refridgerator more useable. One of our constraints is not to move that wall, so unfortunately, we can't recess the fridge at all.
{{gwi:1790793}}From Before the Demolition, April 2010

So, what do you think -- demolish the soffit and redo the popcorn ceiling in the family room so it is uniform, or keep it as is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Our cabinet door style (but not exactly our stain)

Comments (12)