SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Is GW automatically logging you out?

lisa_a
14 years ago

It's happening again. GW must have made a software change that inadvertently logs me out each time I leave GW. I do not nor do I ever log out from GW but currently I have to log back in each time I visit, regardless of how little time passed between visits. What a nuisance!

Last time this happened, they said it wasn't their doing but as soon as they fixed whatever glitch they were working on, my automatic log out problem went away.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments (24)

• flwrs_n_co
    14 years ago

I've been logged on since last night and have been on and off the site today and I'm still logged in. hth

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, flwrs_n_co. I sent an email off to gwtamara for help. Last time this happened, I was the only person experiencing this (gee, lucky me) - or perhaps the only person who spoke up and made noise about it - so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case again.

I'm not wishing anyone else to have this problem but, well, misery does love company! ;-)

• Related Discussions

Harder and Harder to Log onto GW

Q

Comments (23)
    I've been having the same problem. It took me 5 times to log in to answer your heading. For a couple months I could only answer c. 1 out of 4 postings that I wished to because I could not log on, yesterday I tried logging in and failing and then trying again two more times and succeeded on the third try. Luxrosa
    ...See More

Keep getting logged out

Q

Comments (6)
    This isn't an issue I've had. Since you are having it, all of you should go to the bottom of the page, click on the contact us link and report the issue to GW. As subject to choose from you should select technical problem. GW will get back to you about the issue that you are having. Fran
    ...See More

I can't log out.

Q

Comments (7)
    Change the name you see here on the posts by changing the FIRST NAME NOT username, top right corner Your Houzz, then edit profile, scroll down to where it asks for your first name, enter the name you want displayed here on your posts. It's not the same as the username, you don't need to change username.
    ...See More

Houzz/GW user question re: signing out

Q

Comments (10)
    Well so far, the only thing that works is deleting cookies. I don't know anything about add ons, I'd have to ask DH about that. There are a few scripts blocked in NoScript, but they aren't ones that are specific to this site or anything. I tried to temporarily allow all, and that didn't help. I don't have another browser on this laptop, maybe I'll try Chrome on my tablet. It's not that big a deal, I only need to log in when I want to comment, which I rarely do. I guess I can delete cookies to log out. Thanks for the ideas!
    ...See More
  • plllog
    14 years ago

This has never happened to me. Are you sure it's not a setting in your browser? Perhaps it thinks the updates are changes in the site or something and resets?

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, plllog, but I'm quite certain it's not at my end. I haven't changed anything, added any updates, or cleared cookies and I'm not having this problem at any other website I visit. It's only here.

This is exactly what happened last time and as I wrote above, my problem started when GW had software problems and went away once they resolved it. They claimed no connection but the timing was too coincidental for there not to be a connection.

btw, my hubby is a software engineer and he's checked everything that could be causing this problem. He came up with zip. Both sons are also neck-deep into computer science with slightly different focuses than hubby so I'm asking them to check for me, too, but since I've made no changes, I can't imagine what they could possibly turn up.

And yes, it's nice to have in-house tech support, lol.

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. It is happening to me too....and has been for the last couple of days. I am automatically being logged out every time I leave GW. It's aggravating.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So it's not just me!!! I am sorry you are in the same boat, storklady, but you've no idea how vindicated I feel in my conviction that it's something GW has done, not me.

I sent a note to Tamara that you're experiencing the same auto log out problem in the hope that more information might help them figure out why and get it fixed.

Why yes, my glasses are rose-colored. Why do you ask? ;-)

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Me, too. Agravating.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

It happened to me today for the first time in a long time. I've never experienced it before, but I did a software update (the kind that come to my Mac automatically that I do regularly). I'll try it again when I'm finished tonight.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Lisa, do you have a Mac? Since it happened to Jsweenc who's on a Mac. It always does that when I'm on my iPhone. I can't remember for sure, but I think when I close Firefox (in XP) and open it again I'm still logged on. You've convinceed me that it's GW, but since it's not happening to everyone I'm thinking that it may have to do with which browser/platform and how it interacts.

Whatever's causing it, it sounds really annoying!!

• morgne
    14 years ago

It's happening to me too, FWIW. I am running windows 7 with internet explorer. It IS super annoying!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Nope, not happening to me. I use Firefox on Windows machines (XP Professional and Windows 7).

• mcraney
    14 years ago

I had this happen to me today. It happened to me a while back when GW was having problems.

I am on a Mac using Safari for my browser.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Windows Vista with Firefox here. Need to update to Windows 7, just haven't done it yet.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

It has been happening to me too on all three computers that I use.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I heard back from Tamara. When I first emailed her, I was only aware of storklady and myself having this problem. She suggested I clear all ivillage and gardenweb cookies, restart and see if that fixed it.

Until I know that this action will correct this situation, I'm not messing with my cookies. I finally got the opt-out option to work so I no longer see those blasted intelli-ads that imbed in our posts and I'm not willing to risk that fix, especially now that more people have posted they are having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a common factor.

btw, I directed Tamara to this thread in the hopes that the information we share might help her figure this out.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Yes! This has been happening for the past few days. I stay logged on for most of the evening (I check back on GW several times each night), but in the morning and when I get home from work, I must log in again. I'm on a Mac using Safari, but I have never had problems before. Usually, I would have to log on every week or two.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to Tamara, my only option is to remove my cookies and restart and see if that fixes my problem. It's the "see if" that makes me pause. I also don't understand why my cookies would be the problem when others here are having the same auto log-out problem each time they leave GW and our problems seemingly began at the same time.

I pointed out to Tamara that we are using different browsers and systems but she didn't address that in her response to me - at least it doesn't seem that she did. Instead she wrote,

"Nearly all websites will set cookies when users login. You may not like them, but they do serve a purpose -- part of which is that you don't need to re-login each visit. Sometimes they get stuck, sometimes your browser does not reset them as necessary. While browsers are generic in nature, they become very personalized based on your use and what might work for one, may not work for another."

Could it be that our different browsers became personalized at the same time? Blast those computer gremlins! I knew they were up to no good and now it seems that they've banded together to cause more havoc! ;-)

Oh, she also said that the Vibrant Opt-out problems that occurred in the beginning have been fixed and I shouldn't worry about losing this option. I'd have more confidence in that if someone hadn't just posted that the opt-out feature stopped working for them and they're getting the mean greenies again.

Has anyone tried to remove cookies and start again? Any luck?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Total hypothetical guesswork here: It might be that there was a particular time when GW was broken during which it set a cookie wrong or in a way it doesn't recognize.

I use a java applet on another site which sometimes gets jammed. Clearing cookies helps that.

Lisa, can't you get one of your whizzes to go into your cookies and only delete the GW ones? You can even save the removed ones in a text file and put them back if it doesn't work. (I think. I'm a dinosaur.)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That makes as much sense as anything else I've heard, plllog. I'll ask my in-house geek squad about it. Thanks.

And yes, I'd only delete GW cookies. I have gone in and periodically cleaned out cookies, all of them in one fell swoop (or swell foop, as my silly family likes to say) and also selectively as needed. I've already identified GW cookies. I've also asked Tamara if I could delete all but the one that I believe is the Vibrant opt-out cookie. No answer from her on this yet. I really don't want to mess with that one. If it wasn't for this, I'd clean my cookies (such an odd phrase, don't you think?) without hesitation, even though there's no guarantee this action will fix the issue.

It still baffles me that a handful of us with nothing in common other than GW are having this issue. Computer science, my foot, it's more like computer voo-doo. LOL

• morgne
    14 years ago

I posted previously that I was having that issue. I wanted to note that the issue stopped with no effort on my own. I dunno why but I'm not going to look the cookie horse in the mouth!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish I could say the same thing, morgne, but I can't.

I did as Tamara suggested, deleted my GW cookies and did a shut down. Didn't fix it (not that I really expected it to). GW is still booting me out the minute I leave the site.

And the weird thing (as if this isn't weird enough already) is that 3 of the GW cookies I'd identified earlier weren't there when I went in to do a clean-out. I didn't delete them so where the heck did they go?!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Lisa, can you try using another computer to log in in from the same place as your own? That is, through your same ISP and all? Maybe plug a laptop into your modem? That might tell you whether it's local or something online that's doing it to you.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good idea, plllog, thanks! I'll try that from hubby's laptop this evening.

• morgne
    14 years ago

Lisa,

I'm sure this is a silly question but have you done all your standard updates for the computer? It's one of the few things I can think of that would have happened to my computer all by itself.

Also, I did run my manual malware/spyware/virusware a few days ago. I use Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. I do that standardly every few days but I do think I did it with a day of the problem being fixed.