SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canyonhome_gw

New member kitchen redesign/remodel plans

canyonhome
14 years ago

Hi. First, we started our remodel about two months ago (planning & research), when we found and purchased our home, and have been lurking since and I want to send a thank you out to all those who have posted in the various Kitchen and Appliances threads.

I should have joined and started posting earlier, but well...

We begun work (using a contractor - I have no skills for this type of stuff) two weeks ago, and are now in the middle of demolition (removing some walls, completely ripping out the existing kitchen, and doing some minor restructural support work).

It's too late for me to change the plans (I hope my obsessive reading/lurking here over the past months which led to numerous revisions/updates), but I would love to see some comments on if I did OK, or what I might do (other than revising construction plans) to make it work best.

Here's the plan:

There are a couple of final changes not represented in this plan (contractor said he didn't need an updated plan, so I saved the cost of having my KD do another set of plans):

1. The DW and sink in outer island are swapped.

2. The outer island is extended an additional eight inches into the living room to allow for a 42 inch sink cabinet.

3. With the outer island extension, the inner island extension is now five foot eight inches.

4. The inner island is actually 30 inches wide, not 36 as noted.

5. The tile represented by the checkerboard patter is only in the mudroom/pantry and kitchen, ending at the outer island; wood floor extends all the way to the front door and into the guest bed/bath entry.

Last, let me offer some comments as I suspect I can guess what some comments might be posted:

We started with 42 inches around the inner island. But, this left the outer island placed too far into the traffic flow, IMO. So, as a compromise, we cut down to 36 and 38 inches where noted, cut the raised counter depth from 18 to 15 inches, and narrowed the inner island from 36 to 30 inches. I also incorporated that 45 degree angle cut in the closet wall to physically and visibly improve the flow.

I hope that the less than perfect 42 inch pass spaces are sufficient. I have friends that only some island passes of only 34 inches and while not as nice as 42, it still works fine.

I hope that the outer island doesn't interrupt flow (especially with bar stools used, although not placed all the way to the counter end closest to entry). I think it will because of the 45 degree cuts, the fact that the living room wall at the deck is a 20+ foot ceiling with ski mountain trail views which will draw the visitors eyes upwards, and that the wood flooring will be laid so the planks run from entry to back wall, also drawing eyes to the view and up and over the island.

As some advised us, we considered a plan with no innner island, and a larger outer island which while larger did not extend into the entry lines extended, but I wanted two sinks - with neither facing a back wall - and separate prepping and cleaning areas.

I'm looking forward to any comments and tips that you might post. Thanks!

PS - I can see that the plans jpg might be too small to read, so I'll upload the cabinets plans (overhead and elevation) in a second post.

Comments (11)