SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdsso

ok, I am over the wallpaper - photoshoppers or anyone

rdsso
15 years ago

Five years ago I re-did my kitchen. I loved this wallpaper but now i am over it. I want to get rid of it and paint. Please help me pick a color - I'm thinking maybe green, terra cotta, or something warm. The pie safe can be changed if needed. I am also up for new window treatments and pillows for the window seat. Thanks

{{!gwi}}

Comments (36)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

It looks very charming with all your decor. What is above the kitchen cabinets (on the soffit)...is that a border of cans?

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Great and unique kitchen.. love the pie safe. I think you could go with a variety of colors. Do you have a leaning? I think a light mustard would be nice.. I'd think terracotta would be work too if it tends towards the earthy range.

It's a great room-- you'll have to show us pictures when you are done!

• Related Discussions

Skim coating over textured wallpaper?

Q

Comments (3)
    If your plan is to hire someone, I would have somebody remove the wallpaper. The skim coat and repaint could possibly start to loosen the bond of the wallpaper causing you NEW look to crack or peel. If the wall weren't painted, the spray on stripper works great, but it won't work over the paint. Stripping with a heat gun would make the least amount of mess.
    ...See More

Let's talk wallpaper (may be offensive to wallpaper lovers)

Q

Comments (23)
    I love wallpaper, and use it often. But I do agree about people who apply multiple layers or paint over it. Doesn't sound like any of you have ever had the challenge we had in this house. I kid you not--I counted carefully--our living room had TWELVE layers of wallpaper, several with pain on them. And we stripped every scrap of it off before doing anything further. One interesting thing I've noticed lately--the houses for sale in the neighboring town (one of the priciest, most 'desireable', most trendy in the country) are mostly showing very, very busy wallpapers lately. Guess it's coming back.
    ...See More

Textured Wallpaper over kitchen tile reno - How To?

Q

Comments (17)
    @cpartist I can't remove the tile, one, because I dont want to, two, I'm not skilled in doing that and don't want to mess up the wall and I also don't want to know what's behind the tile. I'm trying to make the wall look better without actually restructuring it. I wanted to cover the tile because I saw a lot of kitchens with the beadboard wallpaper and i thought it would be an inexpensive way to redo the walls. Also, there is one wall that does not have the tile on it. What can I do to "redo" the white tile to make it look new?
    ...See More

Can anyone tell what type of wallpaper this is?

Q

Comments (1)
    Thin walls and wallpaper are married by now. Don’t apply water. There Is a wallpaper called anaglypta I have used several times to cover bad walls, You paper right over what is there. It comes in different patterns and the paper itself is white. You could leave it as is, or paint it a color. Painted, the design is more obvious. Brewster Wallpaper is a good source. https://www.wallpaperwarehouse.com/wallpaper-book/Anaglypta-XII/BOOK_5a04d0512735d?pageid=1
    ...See More
  • decorpas
    15 years ago

I also love the pie safe--I hope you don't have to change it! I wonder if Baby Turtle would work in your kitchen? I seem to remember some other posters with oak cabinets who used it and it was soo pretty. Your backsplash is great, and would work with that color green really well.
    There is a gallery thread called "greens" that you might want to check out. I think there's some pics of BT in there. Also, i like the terracotta and mustard ideas, esp with your primative look.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Oh what a beautiful pie safe...please keep that!!!!!!!

It looks a bit on the turquoise side is that right? I'll play around with some colors later to see what might look good with it. The Baby Turtle idea might be good because it has more brown in it that won't fight with the turquoise but I'll see what happens in virtual land.

• msrose
    15 years ago

rdsso - Looks like we had similar taste at one time :)

I've changed my mind so many times on what color I want to paint my kitchen. I started out wanting yellow and I've never been a yellow person. A pretty mustard color is EK Mustard Seed. I also like BM Aura Honeymoon. I've been thinking about painting my cabinets an off-white so I've been thinking of colors that would look good with that. Two of my favorite greens are BM Northampton Putty and Baby Turtle.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeymoon in mnhockeymom's kitchen

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Whatever you do keep that pie safe - I love it!

• msrose
    15 years ago

Lately I've been admiring vwhippiechick's paint color which is "Cafe" by Devine paints. We don't have that kind of paint here though so I would have to find something similar.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: vwhippiechick's kitchen

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gk5040 the soffet border is cans
    {{!gwi}}

The pie safe was a find and bargain on an antique trip it was a lighter green and I just sanded it and thought it was so unique after I sanded it, I left it. It does have a turquoise color to it lindybarts.

Here is the rest of the kitchen but not much to paint there.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Wow, where did you find a table to match your border or was it the other way around?

Laurie

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks msrose. I did that I took the border to a copy shop and had them blown up and then decoupaged it to the top of the table. The table was in such bad shape it need a little help.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I did a few things so far but really like the mossy/brown colors. The rusts didn't seem to go with your cabinets and browns and tans were okay but a little boring to me. A few golds looked good but I much prefer these. I could really see a Tuscan themed kitchen with your roosters and beautiful pie safe. Is that a beam in the kitchen too...PERFECT!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Lindy, that color looks great! What green is that? is it Baby Turtle or another one? I like the way this color brings out the pie safe, works with the oak, and still works with everything else in the room.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

The golds look good too but I just think the green looks better with the wood tones you have. What do you think everyone?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lindybarts love the green what is the color. A friend of mine has SW Sawdust have you ever used or seen that color? There is not a beam in the kitchen I think what you are seeing is the door way frame. Any suggestions for the window or tuscan accents? Would you leave the border or get rid of it too? thanks you did good!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well shucks...thought that was a beam. Now you need to get one! LOL! Just kidding!

It's BM Louisburg Green which we've been talking about on another thread for dining rooms. Here it is on a RMS room. I'm hoping that it looks nice with your pie safe but I'm not sure til I see a real sample up next to your decor.

{{!gwi}}

I would get rid of the border too. I'll look for some Tuscan things next. I'm not good at window treatments but maybe someone else has a suggestion for me to play around with.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like the green and the mustard. Not sure which is my favorite. If you're leaning towards the green, here's a post that has several green kitchens.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: green kitchen post

• denali2007
    15 years ago

My cupboards are about the same color and I think you can't go wrong with a green. I have had 2 different greens in my kitchen and need to paint again. All I can come up with is green. Take a look at the BM Aura Affinity colors. There are several nice greens in that palate.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I love the green Lindybarts did in your kitchen.
    It just looks so good with your cabs, counters, backsplash, the peak of floor and that wonderful pie safe!!

Another green I have used is SW Ardmore green and moselle - if you happen upon a SW store.

Smiles:)

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Here's a few things added for a more tuscan feel. I found a rooster tapestry for the wall and some Roman Shades in a rust/gold stripe.

{{!gwi}}

• gk5040
    15 years ago

What a fun border. Are you looking to take that down or just the red check. The green looks nice.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I love this green, but for kicks, what do you think about trying a yellow green for the Tuscan look? This green seems like it might run a little cool for the golds and reds.

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think about a rug or is my space too small for that? Here are a couple I found but I am open to all suggestions.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I like the Sage rug with the Rooster. How big is it? Could it fit where you have the one in front of the stove right now?

Someone asked about Baby Turtle...here it is but I think it's off on the Color Viewer???

{{!gwi}}

Here are some yellower greens
    Ivy Lane
    {{!gwi}}

Dill Pickle
    {{!gwi}}

Spring Dust
    {{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I like those yellower greens- all of them! (I admit I was Baby Turtle girl). They seem ore Tuscan if that is the direction she is going in...Ivy Land and Baby Turtle pop to me, but the Spring Dust is also nice-- Just wonder how it would work with the oak.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I think the Baby Turtle would be better (and safer) than the really yellow ones. I think it would be too easy to accidentally get the look of baby poo. LOL! Still....it does look nice with some really pretty pottery on top of that pie safe, doesn't it.

Spring Dust again
    {{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Yeah, I love it with the pie safe, but you may be right about it with the oak. Where'd you get that pottery? She's going to need that!

I like the Baby Turtle a lot, it goes with the earthy colors that come to mind with the idea of Tuscan.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

The pottery is from Accents of Salado, one of my favorite Tuscan decor sites. A little pricey but you can get great ideas and then find similar things at Home Goods...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Accents of Salado

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindy, love what you did to my kitchen. I think I like the first green the best. I love the accents you found. This will give me something to look for on my next shopping trip. Hobby lobby something will have items like this in there garden section for 50% off. I you have any thing else to add feel free to do so. I will try and post a pic of just my dining room table so maybe you can play with the rugs.

Thanks

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I REALLY like the spring dust color-- and like decorpas, I am a big fan of baby turtle. It seems to adapt to every location just perfectly. I would stick in this range if you tend to go in an authentic tuscan direction.. tuscan is earthy not the bright shiny bastardization that the dept stores have turned it into.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with the dept store interpretation of tuscan decor but honestly, you have such great earthy and natural colors in your kitchen now, that I'd think the true tuscan colors would work so much better. You just have to work with that pie safe and let it be your guide, in my opinion.

What about some earthier pottery/pitchers? I had a great one from rowe pottery that I WISH i could find to show you (and to replace for myself). It was a lemonade pitcher/euer. There are many other potters though who make beautiful earthy pieces. Maybe some iron or wood pieces? I have an iron and wood rooster in my dining room that would look great in there. It was a gift but I know my mom picked it up at an outlet or TJ Maxx kind of place.

Not sure how the table fits in.. is the top decoupaged? tin? I definitely get more of a vintage americana feel from the room. Will you be replacing the americana stuff or working it in?

Regardless of what direction you go, I love the pie safe and the warmer greens. I wouldn't be so worried about baby poop color-- as I think of it as homey warm pea soup color :)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I am glad you're going with Baby Turtle as it has that earthiness, the brown undertones, that bring that Tuscan feeling in and work with your cabinets really well. I'd love to see pics if you do!

You are so right, Funkyart, about the Tuscan earthiness. Especially in this kitchen, where she already has great elements to make it work, like the pie safe. It could really feel like a real country kitchen, and Tuscan is the countryside...so that all works. And I'm always glad to see someone capturing the feeling of the place.

I love baby poo with the pie safe. Such a pretty color! Now that sounded appetizing, didn't it? Yum.

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is better pic of the whole small dining room. I love the Tuscan feel that has been created in my kitchen. I will probably keep the table as is for now and loose the americana pillows and change to something more tuscan.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

you could always throw on a small table cloth to bring out the Tuscan flavors:-) It would look nice with those chairs, too.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

YES to the tablecloth! And can you get a light fixture hanging over the table? I can't tell if the ceiling fan is it, but it doesn't have the same ambiance that a little chandy would give. Then you could remove the floor lamp in the corner. :)

Susan

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Baby Turtle paint, Sage Rooster 5' round rug (will that fit), Rooster tapestry, Rust colored Roman shades and pillows...couldn't find a good table cloth. Shoot...didn't see the chandelier recommendation before I posted this. Not sure what kind to look for though?? Do you like this much rooster decor? Maybe a different tapestry with the warm earthy colors mentioned above.

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Lindy.. what an incredible amount of work you've done here! It really is a huge help in picturing the direction the room is going. I really like the BT.. but I know it is so hard to ps in a room since it really is a chameleon (part of what I love about it). You've done a great job!

I think you ask a good question re: the roosters.. rdsso, what are you feeling? If you are really into the roosters, this is great-- but if it is bordering to much, I think you could edit a few out but continue with the earthy colors .. I am liking the threads of black also. If you add a chandie, maybe something in a wrought iron?

• rdsso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindy, thanks, I love what you have done to the room. And I like the roosters. In fact I have a metal one setting on the bar that looks into the kitchen. I like the green rug. I have a chandie that I gave $1.00 for at Lowes in clearance cart that I gave to my DIL and she has since moved her dining table and wants to get rid of it. So I will get that from her because I was also thinking I need that instead of the fan. Now convincing DH may be another story. He likes his ceiling fans!!!! Thanks for the visual I am always amazed at what photoshopper can do and the amount of time they give to us people who need visuals.