SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Agents and security issues - my front door key ...

jenswrens
15 years ago

I came home this afternoon after a showing to find the key to my front door lying in plain sight on my entry mat on my non-enclosed, very exposed front porch! I am sure that it was simply an accident - the agent dropped it in a hurry or it fell out of the lockbox when closing it something. But accident or no, I must say it left me feeling very vulnerable. And it is even labeled "front door"! An open invitation. Anyone (neighborhood kids, solicitors, mailman) could have come along and entered my house - or worse, picked up the key and come back at another time.

We are going to be leaving town b/c I have to start another job in July. We weren't planning on taking everything with us right now - just the necessaries. Our agents advised us the house will look/sell better if we leave all our furniture and stuff behind. But now I'm wondering how secure it will be.

We do have a monitored alarm system, but I don't turn it on for showings (obviously), and the REA said we should leave it off after we leave town also b/c she didn't want all the agents to have our code.

I'm in a quandry now. What issues have other people had with security and having your house on the market? What would you advise I do?

And since my thoughts are now running along the paranoid... what's to stop agents from taking my key and making a copy? And coming back whenever they please... or throwing a party... or my very young new agent moving in and living rent free while we're absentee sellers? I know, I know... but once my mind goes in that direction, well... (I keep thinking of Edie and Carlos in that house for sale on DHW - aaaaccckkk!)

Comments (4)