SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suellen_delawares

You know you are a Quilter when . . .

suellen_delawares
16 years ago

You know you are a Quilter when:

You leave the house with bits of thread and fabric all over your clothes.

You wake up and grab a paper and pencil, so you can jot down the pattern that you just dreamed about!

When you go to vacuum and the roller won't go around any more from the threads wrapped around it.

Who can add more to this list?

Suellen

Comments (36)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You know your a Quilter when:

You decide to get rid of lots of your clothes so you can have more room for fabric!

You store quilting fabric and supplies in every room of your house including the bathroom.

• wendyfaye
    16 years ago

Or, when you are getting rid of clothes to make more room for fabric, you check all the labels on said clothing to see if they are 100% cotton and therefore recycled into the stash......

• Related Discussions

You know you're a compost junkie when . . .

Q

Comments (142)
    Although you haven't gone fishing since your teenage years you suddenly become excited about it again when you realize that, while trout, bass, and other "good" fish have catch limits, you can catch all the squawfish and other invasive "bad" species you want, not only cleaning up your local streams and lakes, but also adding valuable micronutrients to your opus magnus....Oh yeah, and maybe you'll catch a trout or two for the dinner table, but that's secondary.
    ...See More

When you DO what you KNOW you shouldn't ...

Q

Comments (4)
    Thrips can sneak in anytime and they may not have come in on your new Millenia. I have used Schultz Houseplant Insect Spray with good results. The main ingredient is Pyrethrin from the Chrysanthemum flower. This may also be the basis for dog & cat flea spray which older magazines often site as being helpful. You might consider using the RID treatment: 2TB of Rid Lice Shampoo, 1 or 2 tsp Murphy Oil Soap dissolved in 32 oz spray bottle of warm water. The plant & soil should be drenched, allowed to sit about 20 minutes and then rinsed. One grower said it was 100% effective with a one time use. Thankfully, I haven't had to test this last method, but I think it would be my choice if I encounter thrips again as it is purported to do no damage to the plants. Hopefully, you will be able to get these critters under control!
    ...See More

You know you're a garden geek when you

Q

Comments (10)
    Invest in a large jar of Sluggo :-) It may not eliminate the problem but will certainly help. Will need to be reapplied freqently, especially if we continue to receive a lot of rain. Always thought slugs were the big issue around here until I moved to a semirural and pretty wooded location and determined it was really snails that were the serious pests. They get places no slugs can get to easily and they can eat everything, including more heavily textured evergreen foliage that most slugs leave alone. Very rewarding to squash them, however, if a bit messy :-)
    ...See More

You know you're in trouble when...

Q

Comments (3)
    And the tag is still calling it a plantain lily. I guess that's a step up from funkia. All in all, it looks like a good hosta even if it remains a mystery.
    ...See More
  • cannahavana
    16 years ago

"You decide to get rid of lots of your clothes so you can have more room for fabric!" LOL, I did that in my dresser and closet.

You plan your errand route so that you can stop by fabric stores.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

You know you are a quilter when ...

You take pictures of stained glass windows and tile floor for inspiration.

You buy coloring books so you can use the pictures for applique.

Keep em coming.

beverly

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are great! I know there are more
    Suellen

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

OK...who's been spying on me????? My house must be bugged!!! I am guilty--and quilty--of every item on the list, and then some.

DH is constantly pulling threads and bits of fabric off me when we go out - I just tell him "I'm a quilter--and that's my badge of honor!"

Adding to the list:

You have more pictures of quilts than family members on your computer.

Quilting-related stuff is a line-item on the family budget.

I'm sure I'll think of more after I finish my morning coffee!

• bluebars
    16 years ago

The guest room dresser, closet, and under the bed have no room left for the guests because they are full of fabric. But the bed has plenty of quilts on it!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

You know you're a quilter when you 'see' quilt patterns in the tile on the bathroom wall in the airport restroom! (Yup, I did...Memphis airport!)

...or on the upholstery in fast food restaurants.

• gauralady
    16 years ago

You take your quilting books and projects on vacation.
    You buy more fabric on your vacation than souvenirs.
    You are sleep-deprived because you just "gotta finish this one".
    You have at least five quilting projects in the planning/UFO stage at all times.
    You join a quilting guild and you're not the "joining" type.

• nana24
    16 years ago

Suellen,
    I feel in good company. I can identify with all of the above.

I guess I really felt like a quilter when I saw a gal I'd known 30 years ago and she told me that her granddaughter is now dragging around the quilt I made for her daughter that long ago. Back then I embroidered blocks and put them together and hand quilted them. I had not yet tried to piece a block. That quilt came from a Winnie the Pooh coloring book.

Sally

• love2sew
    16 years ago

You know your a quilter when you finish that first quilt.

When you spend more time airing your quilts on the line that you do washing clothes.
    Jean

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

Who has a bed in the guest room??? Had to get rid of it for the frame plus all the cartons of fabric...And the dresser and closet are filled with fabric...
    I think you can tell a quilter by the way the eyes glaze over when she walks through a quilt shop or fabric shop.

Dorothy

• redpenny
    16 years ago

At 11:00 pm you kiss your husband goodnite and say "I'll be right up after I finish this block!" and the next thing you know he is kissing you "goodbye" at 6:00 in the morning on his way to work.

Every quilt shop employee in a 100 mile radius knows your first name.

If you are not actually quilting, then you're online at a quilt site

Someone asks You for tape and all You can come up with is 1/4" masking tape!

The weather service is predicting a giant blizzard and it is more important to get to the fabric store than to the grocery store.

when your children and grandkids can name more blocks at the quilt show than the middle aged lady standing beside them

You find Yourself reaching for a head of lettuce in the grocery store and realize You are wearing a thimble on Your finger

You take the flannel sheets off the bed and nail them to the wall.

You know Featherweight doesn't mean a boxer.

• cygram
    16 years ago

You have more fabric on your shelfs than your local quilt shop!
    You know you can't live long enough to make all the quilts whirling around in your head.

You see fabric colors and patterns in everything you look at!

Your relatives and others who know you always give you a gift certificate to Jo-anns for your Birthday,if they can't think of anything else.

Your cat's only trick is to pull pins out of a pin cushion with her mouth and throw them on the floor!(my cat does this all the time and never sticks herself!)

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

when you cannot walk past a quilt/fabric shop without stopping in to 'check it out'
    your husband suggested going shopping and and you tell him 'wait until I get my list of fabric needs'
    you take a trip and spend you spend time scaning out all the mini malls, etc just to see what fabric shop they may have that you need to see rather than really looking at the beautiful scenery!

I do all this......... same as the rest of you!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

A cute 20's-something male sales clerk asks if you quilt or sew when you pull a tape measure out of your purse to measure for a pizza pan. "My grandmother and aunts always carried a tape measure," he said. "And all of them sewed and made quilts." I told him I was in good company.

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

When your DH goes "Uh-oh" when he sees a fabric/quilt shop!

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are all great! keep them coming I know there are more!
    If my count is right we are only up to 40!
    Suellen

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

You no longer see the fabric colors as just a color it has to much yellow in it...to much red...to much black pigment.

You plan your vacation around a location where there are several quilt shops or shops in route to your destination.

You take vacation time to go to a week of shop hops.

You drive two hours one way to browse a new quilt shop that is "just awesome" but there are several in your area.

When your DH promises dinner out if you will limit your time in the quilt shop to an hour.

When your DH has to go for fast food because you can't (won't) take a break from quilting (it's almost done I want to finish it tonight).

Finally....when it takes forever to scroll through your favorite short cut folder on the pc to search for a quilt pattern or site and the other folders are basically empty.

Marty (Missouri)

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

I'm definately with you on the short cuts folder. Dh says it is no longer a short cut and it would be simpler to do a google search...LOL

Just caught myself with threads on at Walmart a week ago.

I took a quilt to work with me in a hoop and I work on it when there are no customers.

I work with fishing lures and am going to be working in the office come late fall. All I can think of is finding some really great fishing fabric to make a bag to take my stuff in...LOL

When you start looking at christmas patterns in march because you know it will take that long to find the "perfect" fabric, pattern, and get your other things done so you can work on it and have it done by christmas.
    Lynette

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

When the fabric cutters at Walmart know you by your first name and hide the best remnants they know you will like before they hit the remnant bin,,,( shhhh )

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

When The Traveler Quilt Companion is preminately located in the door pocket of the car and you always look ahead when you are traveling so you don't miss a quilt store.

When you husband keeps a magazine in his door pocket so he has something to read while you shop in a quilt store.

When you buy cones of neutral thread so you are never without when your read to make your next quilt.

You send more money on fabric then cloths.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

You know you're a quilter when:
    You carry a newly made block around with you to show everyone (even your hubby's buddies)

You own more rulers and templates than your carpenter hubby.

When your hubby finds the bathroom towel missing from the spare bathroom cause you threw it in the dryer with your fabric so it dries faster.

Your hubby starts watching quilting shows when you're not home and says "you should have seen what they made" and writes down the quilter's name for you!!!

• day2day
    16 years ago

When you can't wait for a day when everyone is out of the house and you can quilt without interruptions. When you wake up at 4 a.m. and realize a great way to arrange your quilt blocks,so you get up and lay out your blocks in that design to see what it looks like,and your alarm is set to go off at 6 a.m.

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

Am I the only one??

....when you see someone in a restaurant and say I want that fabric in that shirt. I wonder if it's cotton.

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good job everyone we got 61!
    There might be duplicates. Here they are:

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A QUILTER WHEN . . .

1. You leave the house with bits of thread and fabric all over your clothes.
    2. You wake up and grab a paper and pencil, so you can jot down the pattern that you just dreamed about!
    3. When you go to vacuum and the roller won't go around any more from the threads wrapped around it.
    4. You decide to get rid of lots of your clothes so you can have more room for fabric!
    5. You store quilting fabric and supplies in every room of your house including the bathroom.
    6. When you are getting rid of clothes to make more room for fabric, you check all the labels on said clothing to see if they are 100% cotton and therefore recycled into the stash.
    7. You plan your errand route so that you can stop by fabric stores.
    8. You take pictures of stained glass windows and tile floor for inspiration.
    9. You buy coloring books so you can use the pictures for appliqu
    10. You have more pictures of quilts than family members on your computer.
    11. Quilting-related stuff is a line-item on the family budget.
    12. The guest room dresser, closet, and under the bed have no room left for the guests because they are full of fabric. But the bed has plenty of quilts on it!
    13. When you 'see' quilt patterns in the tile on the bathroom wall in the airport restroom!
    14. When you 'see' quilt patterns on the upholstery in fast food restaurants
    15. You take your quilting books and projects on vacation.
    16. You buy more fabric on your vacation than souvenirs.
    17. You are sleep-deprived because you just "gotta finish this one".
    18. You have at least five quilting projects in the planning/UFO stage at all times.
    19. You join a quilting guild and you're not the "joining" type.
    20. When you finish that first quilt.
    21. When you spend more time airing your quilts on the line that you do washing clothes
    22. When you no longer have a guest room because you needed it for the frame plus all the cartons of fabric
    23. By the way the eyes glaze over when she walks through a quilt shop or fabric shop
    At 11:00 pm you kiss your husband goodnite and say "I'll be right up after I finish this block!" and the next thing you know he is kissing you "goodbye" at 6:00 in the morning on his way to work.
    24. Every quilt shop employee in a 100 mile radius knows your first name.
    25. If you are not actually quilting, then you're online at a quilt site
    26. Someone asks You for tape and all You can come up with is 1/4" masking tape!
    27. The weather service is predicting a giant blizzard and it is more important to get to the fabric store than
    to the grocery store.
    28. When your children and grandkids can name more blocks at the quilt show than the middle aged
    lady standing beside them
    29. You find Yourself reaching for a head of lettuce in the grocery store and realize You are wearing
    a thimble on Your finger
    30. You take the flannel sheets off the bed and nail them to the wall.
    31. You know Featherweight doesn't mean a boxer.
    32. You have more fabric on your shelves than your local quilt shop!
    33. You know you can't live long enough to make all the quilts whirling around in your head.
    34. You see fabric colors and patterns in everything you look at!
    35. Your relatives and others who know you always give you a gift certificate to Jo-Anns for your Birthday, if they can't think of anything else.
    36. Your cat's only trick is to pull pins out of a pin cushion with her mouth and throw them on the floor! (my cat does this all the time and never sticks herself!)
    37. When you cannot walk past a quilt/fabric shop without stopping in to 'check it out'
    your husband suggested going shopping and you tell him 'wait until I get my list of fabric needs'
    38. You take a trip and spend you spend time scanning out all the mini malls, etc just to see what fabric shop they may have that you need to see rather than really looking at the beautiful scenery!
    39. A cute 20's-something male sales clerk asks if you quilt or sew when you pull a tape measure out of your purse to measure for a pizza pan. "My grandmother and aunts always carried a tape measure," he said. "And all of them sewed and made quilts." I told him I was in good company.
    40. When your husband goes "Uh-oh" when he sees a fabric/quilt shop!
    41.You no longer see the fabric colors as just a color it has to much yellow in it...to much red...to much black pigment.
    42. You plan your vacation around a location where there are several quilt shops or shops in route to your destination.
    43. You take vacation time to go to a week of shop hops.
    44. You drive two hours one way to browse a new quilt shop that is "just awesome" but there are several in your area.
    45. When your DH promises dinner out if you will limit your time in the quilt shop to an hour.
    46. When your DH has to go for fast food because you can't (won't) take a break from quilting (it's almost done I want to finish it tonight).
    47. When it takes forever to scroll through your favorite short cut folder on the pc to search for a quilt pattern or site and the other folders are basically empty.
    48. When you take a quilt with me in a hoop to work and I work on it when there are no customers.
    49. I work with fishing lures and am going to be working in the office come late fall. All I can think of is finding some really great fishing fabric to make a bag to take my stuff in...LOL
    50. When you start looking at Christmas patterns in March because you know it will take that long to find the "perfect" fabric, pattern, and get youÂre other things done so you can work on it and have it done by Christmas.
    51. When The Traveler Quilt Companion is permanently located in the door pocket of the car and you always look ahead when you are traveling so you don't miss a quilt store.
    52. When you husband keeps a magazine in his door pocket so he has something to read while you shop in a quilt store.
    53. When you buy cones of neutral thread so you are never without when your read to make your next quilt.
    54. You spend more money on fabric then cloths.
    55. You carry a newly made block around with you to show everyone (even your hubby's buddies)
    56. You own more rulers and templates than your carpenter hubby.
    57. When your hubby finds the bathroom towel missing from the spare bathroom cause you threw it in the dryer with your fabric so it dries faster.
    58. Your hubby starts watching quilting shows when you're not home and says "you should have seen what they made" and writes down the quilter's name for you!!!
    59. When you can't wait for a day when everyone is out of the house and you can quilt without interruptions.
    60. When you wake up at 4 a.m. and realize a great way to arrange your quilt blocks, so you get up and lay out your blocks in that design to see what it looks like, and your alarm is set to go off at 6 a.m.
    61. When you see someone in a restaurant and say I want that fabric in that shirt. I wonder if it's cotton.

Suellen

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

You know you're a quilter when:
    you evaluate your husband's and male friends' neckties as to how good they would look in a quilt and look forward to their becoming unusable as a clothing accessory. (I am guilty of this.)

• miss_chanterelle
    16 years ago

when you buy 4 boxes of thread at a yard sale 2 black ,1 white and 1 beige,each with a dozen spools, but you don't buy the 5th box cause its red and you'd never use red thread in a quilt!Like I'm ever going to use 48 spools of thread!!

• misspistachio
    16 years ago

I just found the quilter forum and wanted to add,
    You know you're a quilter when...

You spend the day picking out fabrics for the girl's summer outfits and you get home and decide that it will look better made into a quilt.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Welcome, Misspistachio. That's cute!

• suellen_delawares
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are up to 63! Welcome Misspistachio! You are in the right place.
    Suellen

• anitastitch
    16 years ago

...you'd rather your husband give you fabric and sewing machine gadgets than clothes and jewelry for Christmas.
    ...your roll of freezer paper is used for applique only (why do they call it freezer paper anyway??)
    ...your sewing machine and iron are used more often than your sweeper.
    ...you get weepy just thinking about your children going to college--not because you'll miss them, but tears of joy, imagining what your sewing room will be like (ok, I really will miss them, but the sewing room will help me cope!)

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Freezer paper is from the days before plastic freezer bags when you wrapped your meat in it & taped it before putting it in the freezer.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

...the most important piece of mail in the mailbox is the latest issue of your favorite quilt magazine.

...you sometimes find little bits of fabric in your pockets and purse. "Oh, that's right. I wanted to find something that goes with this."

...you try to find ways to be super efficient with the chores, so that you'll have more time to sew. Or else you just neglect the chores until after you finish your latest quilt.

...your husband wants to wear his worn out clothes in the garage, and you think it's a shame to get grease on such nice fabric. (Besides, it would look so nice in the quilt you've been planning lately.)

...your hubby knows what you are talking about when you use terms like "four patch," "bear's paw," and "churn dash."

...you wish your family and friends would catch on to the fact that you'd rather have more quilting fabric than just about any other gift they think you need. (Who wants a T-shirt from Paris? How about some good, old-fashioned American calico?)

...you find that planning your next quilt as your fall asleep will practically guarantee sweet dreams.

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

We can keep this thread going forever as far as I'm concerned. It makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world and have quilting buddies everywhere!

I had two (of 12) granchildren coming for a visit and was working hard to get ready. They cancelled and now that time can be spent on finishing up two projects that were going to have to wait. Sad but also happy! Am I bad? No, just a quilter.

Linda

• colleenny
    16 years ago

You know you are a quilter when,
    Your printer keeps running out of ink from printing too many quilt block directions. Colleen

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals