SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tile_gw

Creative Juices Flowing...MAJOR last minute revision???

Tile
10 years ago

Long post...if no time, just skip to pics & tell me which ones you think look best. Thank you!

So I've been planning this kitchen (my first) for a while now, and for weeks, I had this design that I thought was okay, but also had an unappealing aspect that I couldn't quite put my finger on. So I posted to this thread, where you guys helped me figure out that the chimney range hood breaking up continuity of the cabinets. Finally, I had a design that I was happy with.

Last night, while lamenting the fact that my kitchen window faces an alley, I overcame a major mental block: that my kitchen sink HAD to be under the window. I moved my range to the exterior wall and replaced the sink with a nice counter area perfect for food prep. I moved the sink & dishwasher to the large, communal island that I had always wanted but previously had no room for. I would also be able to use the small pantry closet on wall B that I was originally planning to drywall over.

I have two questions:

1) Are my new plans better than my old? I value aesthetics over function (grew up using poorly designed kitchens).

2) Are my new plans superior enough to warrant the extra electrical and plumbing work? The kitchen has been completely gutted to the studs, and the electrician and plumber have already installed preliminary wiring, recessed lighting, and plumbing following my original floor plan. The wiring looks easy (removing & restapling with nail gun). The brand new plumbing pipes would need to be moved over by about 6 feet, but access is very easy in low, ceiling-less basement. So to my untrained eye, it does not look like "too much" trouble.

Here are the pics:

Plan A (original layout)
{{gwi:1785662}}

{{gwi:1785669}}{{gwi:1785670}}

B0
{{gwi:1785671}}

{{gwi:1785672}}
{{gwi:1785673}}{{gwi:1785674}}
B1
{{gwi:1785675}}
B2
{{gwi:1785676}}