SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capt_dan

finished bathroom pix iii -- last try!!

capt.dan
15 years ago

OK, last try with the pictures, i skipped the powder room shots this time...

We started out the bathroom projects taking a stab at redoing our dated powder room

Cultured marble tile, new vanity, toilet and fixtures sure perked it up.

Now that the powder room is done, and turned out pretty nice, my wife decided it was time for us to really roll up our sleeves and tackle the small master bath, should be easy since it's just replacing some tile and a few fixtures... RIGHT, that was January 20!

Day 1, with the wall tile coming off easily it was now time for DEMO of the cast iron tub, it's "Sledge Time"...

The next weekend, finally have the tub out and working on the floor tile. You don't see it in these pictures, but the tile was set into some sort of mortar and packed with a metal mesh. It was a bear to say the least and full of surprises...

Anything look funny? Yep, no support beams under half the tub or the toilet!!!! Also, you don't see it here since the plumbing is already out, but the outlet for the toilet actually flowed slightly up hill before hitting the wall, nice...

We called in for professional help on redoing the plumbing, adding structural support and installing the shower bed.

Now installing the sub floor and Hardi Backer

Shower liner and wall board installed, waiting for the mortar bed.

Mortar bed and floor tile in

Shower floor tile installed, working on remaining wall board and ceiling vent/light

We missed a lot of pictures here, but now all the tile is in, time to install the shower door.

This is where it took 2 hours to drill one 3/16th hole in the porcelain tile using various carbide bits that are designed for tile. I ordered a diamond tipped drill bit and completed the other five holes in 10-15 minutes each.

Glad to have my apprentice on this one!

Completed shower with Kohler door installed. Check out the bench, it's very cool and had me nervous, but it holds just fine.

Another shot of the bench

Nook and soap shelf, still need to install a holder for the hand shower, but I was tired of drilling for a while!

Floor, curb and tile trim. Still need to finish most of the caulking work, but that won't take more than an hour.

All finished except for some details, like hardware on the new solid cherry cabinet. Still need to hang new mirror or medicine chest, undecided on what it will be at this point, but glad to have a usable bathroom after 4 months!!!!!

I think I may retire from the bathroom remodeling business, that was a LOT of work and more than I ever thought it would be. But the wife is happy and it's completed with three weeks to spare before baby number 2 shows up!

Comments (20)