SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Really need advice on staircase

redroze
13 years ago

Some of you may remember my post on stairs. We're putting hardwood on our stairs with no runner (thanks to advice from many of you on the slipperyness of carpet). I'm really confused on how to do the end of the railing. At the bottom of the stairs, on either side, should we remove the spindles and just do a large newel post on either end? Do you think that would look right even though our staircase, and the railing has a curve to it?

For those of you who don't know stair terminology (like me before doing the research), the newel post is the large post that appears at the end, whereas spindles are the thin posts that go underneath the railing.

First, a look of our current staircase. These photos are taken when we first stained our railings.

We'll replace our one existing newel post which you can see here:

Here's a look at the bottom of the stairs. Should we keep the existing look with the curved railings and spindles below it, or should we get rid of this bottom portion and just end it with a newel post on either side?

We're changing our spindles from the turned post to a square look. Our newel post will be stained a dark glossy finish similar to our railings. Here's a staircase with the same spindle and newel post style that we want, except these newel posts are white. I think the newel post at the bottom works for these stairs since it's a zigzag style, but would it work for a spiral staircase like mine?

Finally, a link to rmkitchen's gorgeous staircase. Should I end the stairs like hers? Remember that our spindles will be a square style, not the turned style like rmkitchen's. She has end posts, not newel posts. End posts are like thicker versions of spindles, and they go under the railing. If we do an end post, the style would be similar to the newel post that we like.

Just to clarify, here is the spindle style we like:

And the newel post style we like only with a raised panel:

I hope I haven't confused everyone!! I'm in a pickle...I don't like feeling this way. =(

Comments (14)