SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leonarde83

Stair Riser and Side Trim - Need Advice

RuthL
4 years ago

Greetings Houzzers. We have two dilemmas with our staircase remodel and hope for some help here. We removed a couple of half-walls and will replace them with spindles and a handrail. Below (photo #1) is our inspiration style but I really don't like the skirt effect on that trim. We want something simple and contemporary just underneath the treads and next to the risers to go with the trim on our interior doors. Photo #2 is a wide view of our staircase in progress. The two problems we have are both with the top riser at the second run where the wall juts inward (photo #3). I'd like it to look like the top of the first run (photo #4) just using drywall but I'm not sure that can be done without doing that whole wall over. Our carpenter wants to put a regular riser there but I think it would look weird. Secondly, as you can see, any trim would have to end at the ceiling over the door to the powder room - wouldn't it? Or would it be ok to end the trim just under the top tread? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

#1 Inspiration photo

#2 Our remodel, wide view

#3 Top of second run

#4 Top of first run

#5 Second run

Comments (11)