SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crackermoo

Buy first? Sell first?

crackermoo
10 years ago

I am newly registered but have lurked here for a long, long time, and I have seen how helpful this group can be.

Anyway I finally decided to leap in and sign up so I could ask for some advice and/or encouragement about my situation.

I am in my late fifties and on my own (no spouse or partner) and I really dislike where I live. I have no extended family here. I have nice neighbours, nice acquaintances, but no close friends.

I feel no real âÂÂtiesâ here. I ended up here for various reasons and stayed for my children, but now theyâÂÂre grown. IâÂÂm ready to move to another town that seems to have many of the amenities I look for. That town is about three hoursâ drive from me.

I have an adult "child" who still lives with me and is saving up to buy a small house. I promised that child that IâÂÂd stay here until next spring, after which time I plan to move. That child will likely follow me to the new city, so we could still live near each other.

HereâÂÂs my problem: I canâÂÂt decide whether to sell first or buy first. IâÂÂve bought and sold several houses over my lifetime and in retrospect, I see that each time I could have walked away with more cash than I did. Each time, I was naive. I was urged by real estate agents to sell low and buy high and that's what I did. After all, they were the "professionals". This was not the same agent or even the same area of the country -- six homes in six different places and six different agents -- but it seems to be what they want (a fast, easy sale) and I was stupid enough to succumb to the pressure.

IâÂÂm feeling pretty cynical about real estate agents these days. When I think if how stupid I was . . . well, whatâÂÂs done is done, but I am not so trusting any more.

This time, money is really tight. I need to sell high and buy low. IâÂÂm getting older and donâÂÂt think I can handle another move. This one must be the âÂÂrightâ move.

I have been scouring the real estate listings for a long time and am fairly confident I can find what IâÂÂm looking for at around $20,000-30,000 less than the value of my current home.

But in my area, the market seems to be changing (from a hot sellerâÂÂs market to more of a buyerâÂÂs market). That makes it a bit harder for me.

If I sell my place first, then IâÂÂm nervous I wonâÂÂt find something I want before my closing. And I donâÂÂt want to be rushed into buying the âÂÂwrongâ place. But by selling my home first, I would know exactly where I stand financially.

If I bought the new place first, then I could take my time and find something I really like. If the timing were right, I could possibly be able to move some of my excess household goods there and stage my current home for an easier sale. But then IâÂÂm afraid IâÂÂll feel pressured to sell âÂÂlowâ (because IâÂÂll have a contract on a...

Comments (20)