SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Can you please help me plant a teeny-weeny veggie garden?

nicole_ont
13 years ago

I've attempted little gardens with the kids the last couple of years and it's been a lot of fun, but we haven't had much success (to put it mildly). I'm talking a few mini carrots, 8 pea pods and one very lame zucchini.

I know different things need to be planted at different times. I know it's late in the spring, but as far as I know, we just passed our last frost. Is it too late to plant veggies? Do I buy seeds or little plants? I am VERY inexperienced and unknowledgeable when it comes to gardening. I've checked out lots of websites for beginner gardeners, and they're too complicated for me. They talk about stuff like planting taller plants on the north side of the garden and stuff. I have no idea which plants are taller than others.

The space I have is extremely small. It's about 8' x 5'. I'm in Southern Ontario (Toronto area). Am I supposed to know my zone number or something? I don't even know what a zone is. haha The garden space is by the fence in the back, right corner of my yard, which is the east corner, (my best guess, judging by the sunlight right now). Will that work?

I'd like to do tomatoes (but no idea which variety), a type of beans, peas, some sort of squash, anything else that is easy and won't take up much space.... I have some big pots that I think I'll try herbs in (or should I do tomatoes in pots?) Is that too ambitious for such a small space?

Anyhow, I'll follow your advice and do whatever you tell me to do, and we'll post pictures of our progress.

All advice GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)