SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sc_kathyc

Look at my cabinet- Should it be rebuilt?

sc_kathyc
14 years ago

I desperately need experienced advise. My kitchen cabinets are being built and installed and I don't want to over-react; but, I am concerned. The cabinets in question wrap around an angled wall. I wish I had an overview picture but I didn't think of that this morning during the panic. The cabinets appears to be cracking at the seam where the two were joined together. When I pointed it out to the builder, he said that he would caulk it and respray the paint. But I am afraid that long term I may have a broken cabinet.

The 1st picture shows the wall and angle before cabinets were added.

The 2nd pic is of the crack. This is an upper cabinet and you can see where the crack/seam is opening. So my husband measured the angle of the wall against the angle of the cabinet and the cabinet is off almost .75 inches.

The 3rd picture shows how the two cabinets were joined (from the underside of the wall cabinet). The joint/angle of the cabinet is to the left of the wall angle. I just think that this would create constant pressure on the cabinet. The last thing that I want is to have cracking cabinets 6-9 months down the road. Should I request the builder to redo this cabinet? Am I over-reacting?

Comments (7)