SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

banging a can lid on the countertop and other bad habits

scrappy25
10 years ago

I think I have been planning a kitchen remodel for 4 years now. I have read everything about countertops and first wanted soapstone, then marble, then quartz, right along with everyone else at gardenweb. I've read all the recent postings on Neolith but it is just too new to find an experienced fabricator in my area.

I've been realizing that having laminate has given me some bad habits ? Are old habits breakable and how long does it take?

As I was making a quick pasta dinner last night, I realized that I routinely tap/bang the lids of the tomato sauce jars on the existing laminate countertop to loosen the lids so that I can turn them. After I empty them out, I replace the lids and put the cans upside down on the counter to later get out the last bit of sauce. Of course there are then tomato sauce rings on the counter where the sauce that dripped over the edge initially came back down over the upsidedown lid.

I later cut some fruit for a smoothie right on the countertop- I always use the cutting board for veggies and meat but the knife barely touches the countertop when I cut fruit. Of course the fruit juices then need to be cleaned.

I don't put hot pans directly on the countertop but I will put things warmed in the microwave directly on the countertop as long as I can hold it in my bare hands for the two seconds that it takes to transport it to the counter.

None of these things seem to affect my 30 year plus wood-look laminate countertop.

I've already purchased the Stages sink around which my new kitchendesign is based- this sink is undermounted so laminate is not an option. It will have to be solid surface but definitely not marble.

So how long did it take you to break your old habits from laminate countertops?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions