SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

RECIPE: Homemade Perogies

khandi
17 years ago

This is the perogie recipe that I have used for years (got it from my aunt many moons ago!). Everybody likes it. I'm waiting to get my other aunt's recipe for perogies (she's Polish). I've tried other versions of perogie dough (even one with mashed potato in the dough), but I like this one better. I find this dough has a better consistency. It's soft and smooth!

Perogies

Dough:

3½ cups flour

1 cup sour cream

¾ tsp baking powder

1½ tsp salt

¾ cup water

1 egg, room temperature

Mix all ingredients together. Roll dough to desired thickness (1/8 or ¼ inch). Cut dough into circles (whatever size you want your perogies to be).

Filling:

Potatoes (6 to 8, depending on size)

Velveeta cheese (block package)

Sautéed onions (desired amount)

Bacon, cooked and chopped (desired amount)

Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes. When potatoes are done, add other ingredients while potatoes are still hot so that cheese melts. Set aside and let cool. (Add more cheese if you like them cheesier, or less). I "eyeball" this step because it depends on size of potatoes and how much cheese, onions, and bacon you like. You can omit the onions and bacon in the filling and add them later in the frying process. Put spoonful of filling in center of each dough circle, fold, and press edges together to seal (make sure itÂs sealed properly or filling will ooze out when you boil them).

Cooking Method:

Bring large pot of water to a bubbling boil. Drop a few perogies at a time. When perogies come up to the surface, take them out. Fry perogies in butter until slightly golden brown, and serve with sour cream and chopped chives (I like mine with gravy!).

NOTE: To freeze, place in single layer on cookie sheets. When frozen solid, put into freezer bags. To cook, just drop frozen perogies into boiling water and proceed as instructed above.

Comments (7)