SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolek_gw

Can you restore old quilts?

carolek
15 years ago

The quilt that started my journey into quilting was a gift from my mother-in-law shortly after I married. It was an old quilt--to use more as a throw because it was twin size.

As I was checking it out recently, I noted the many places of wear and deterioration. I wondered if there was a way to restore it and decided there wasn't. The old prints have been rereleased, but you can't patch an old quilt with fresh fabric even if it is the same print. You would have to have a quilt of the same fabric of the same age so the patches were not look new, but if they were truly the same age, likely they too would be deteriorated and can you justify savaging one old quilt to fix another? Well, I suppose if the second quilt was in tatters, so it was already a loss, anything you salvege is okay. The solids could probably be repaired as they would not have to be as old as the original, but could still look old.

You could make a new quilt of the period fabric and the design, but it wouldn't have the charm of the old one. The only thing you could repair would be the binding of muslin--unfortunately, sometime along the way, that quilt got washed with something that bled red and the quilt has a decidedly pink hue--Actually, I like the pink and I love the old look too.

My questions: Do you have any quilts that need repair or restoration? Have you tried repairing or restoring and what did you do? If you leave the quilt as is, how do you store it? And, of course, please share a picture?

In a recent quilt exhibit at our local museum, I noticed that the best quilt design was not hung to advantage but draped on the floor. I presumed the quilt was too fragile for hanging.

I really love the bottom and top borders. Carole

Comments (15)