SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mqmoi

RECIPE: Creamed Spinach Deluxe

mqmoi
18 years ago

This is the first time I've ever made creamed spinach and fortunately, I picked a winner from this month's Bon Appetite. It involves several steps, but is worth it! I served it as a side to fresh sole. It's delicate and not too rich.

I used regular, not baby, fresh spinach. It was fine. It plumps back up after you add it back to the cream mixture, and has a lovely texture. And in case anyone is wondering, no, do not use frozen spinach.

CREAMED SPINACH DELUXE

6 Servings

1/4 c. water

4 6-oz bags baby spinach leaves A bunch of regular fresh spinach weighed 12 oz so I used that and halved the recipe for 2 of us

2 T. (1/4 stick) butter

1/3 c. chopped onion

1 bay leaf

1/2 dried small red chile, such as Japones or de arbol  I used pinch of cayenne

1/4 t. black peppercorns

1/4 c. all-purpose flour

1/4 t. salt

1 1/4 c. whole milk

1/2 c. whipping cream

Bring 1/4 c. water to boil in large pot. Add half of spinach to pot; toss until wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. I found 2 minutes to be just right. Add remaining spinach and toss until just wilted. Transfer spinach to strainer set over bowl. Press to release all liquid. Transfer spinach to work surface; coarsely chop. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bay leaf, dried chile, and peppercorns; sauté until onion is soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour and salt. Cook until mixture is pale good with nutty aroma, whisking constantly about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Boil until thick, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Strain béchamel sauce into medium bowl. Do not skip this step.

Heat cream in heavy saucepan over medium heat until just simmering. Add béchamel; whisk until smooth and begins to simmer. Add spinach and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bon Appetite

Feb 2006

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor