SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jem199

edge profiles for granite - need help!

jem199
14 years ago

I am soooo stuck on this decision. For the longest time I just wanted a plain 3/8" radius edge.

When we went to pick out the granite, the saleswoman there kept insisting that we get a double-edge and something fancier. She's not profiting from our decision at all. We can get any edge we want at no additional cost. She looked at us like we had three heads when we said we wanted a plain radius edge. this may have to do with the fact that it's thinner granite. It's 3/4" not 1 1/4" (due to weight issues) so they put a double edge on all of it. Maybe the fancier ones are easier for them to make? I dunno.

Let me tell you about our new kitchen. My friend is a designer and she gave us a great bit of advice that has helped guide me through my choices. I loved looking at the sinks, faucets etc and got overwhelmed when I had to decide and imagine the cohesiveness of the room. Her advice was to pick a few words that describe my kitchen. I picked:

Rustic, Italian country, quality

My house is rustic. I live in the country. As much as I like modern looking pieces, they wouldnÂt fit into the home. So those were the words. She was careful to explain that this wasnÂt for a JCPenney matchy-matchy look, just to help rule out things that wouldnÂt fit. This advice has REALLY helped me eliminate products. I LOVED the Elkay hammered mirror chrome round prep sink, but it was too fancy and modern, so I ruled it out.

So my kitchen remodel includes natural cherry shaker cabinets with full overlay, simple but elegant ORB pulls (Richelieu RI-74638), and river white granite. I have a flagstone slate floor with blue, green, red and purple multi-shaped tiles thatÂs been fully restored. I got the ticor sink, and large Delta Allora faucet in brushed stainless. We have an island that will get a small copper prep sink with a bronzed patina (Square on top to rounded bottom) and a very rustic ORB faucet (Pfister Blanco 157-106-ORB).

IÂve kept everything fairly plain, except the prep sink/faucet. I figured we could add some bling with a backsplash if we need some more interest. IÂm considering fire and ice backsplash, but will install that after everything else is in and I can put up some samples to get used to.

So I really could go either way on the edge. We are down to keeping our original plan of the 3/8" radius edge Âor- doing a cove/dupont edge. I like the idea of a cove/dupont edge around my island. Would it be weird to do a plain edge on the L-shaped part of the kitchen and then the fancier double edge on the island? Would the fancy edge be Âtoo much" or would it add some pizzazz?

I really donÂt know. IÂm running out of Âdeciding juice."

Please let me know your thoughts/experiences to help move this decision along!

Thanks,

Janet

Comments (4)