SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

would you take this opportunity to buy

funkill
15 years ago

My mother is living in an Assisted Living Facility and will not be returning to her home. She owes about $70K on the townhouse. She receives a fair monthly income (pension and SS), but not enought to cover both the ALF and her mortgage. She is not elgible (physically or financially) for Medicaid. Within months, her savings will be exhausted and she will not be able to make here mortgage or HOA payments. I fear forclosure. The court approved the home (a 2/2) be listed for sale. The place is a disaster. It has not been maintained in any manner for many, many years. The realtor priced it as a Handy-man Special at $110 (but doesn't expect any offers above $90). It needs total renovation to increase attractives to buyers. An estimate from one contractor was received at $25K (kitchen and bath cabinets/countertops, all flooring, painting, re-working some electrical and plumbing - incl water damage to a few walls, landscaping, etc.). Since mom has no cash to perform work, it must be sold as-is. In the past 6 months, three units in the large development have listed. Two have been removed from the market - third remains listed after a year - priced at $165 (but it's a 3/2). Realtor says it's overpriced and that if the 25K was put into mom's place, he believes it would be a fairly quick sale at $150. Course, it's all speculation. PS - realtor is a close "coach" of mine - so I trust his thoughts ... but recognize that he cannot anticipate the market 100%.

So, here's the (possible) opportunity. If it doesn't sell within 3 months, and assuming forclosure process starts, I could petition the court to purchase townhouse for mortgage owed. Then, I can do most of the remodel myself (am a mech engineer with some experience, dad is a carpenter with lots of home reno work, and have several professional builder friends that will assist with more difficult work at reduced prices) for about $18K, using my HELOC then sell the place. I am thinking I could get an interest only mortgage so that the montly bill (including $100/mo HOA assessment) won't hurt me too much. My main concern --- this friggin market. Will it sell?? Gosh, it's a risk, that's for sure. And the area seems a little flooded with rentals in the $900/mo range.

So, what 'chall think? Would it be worth the risk to maybe make some cash @ $50K --- (72K for purchase + 18K for remodel + 2K unexpected = 92K. If it sells for $150 = $58K profit less closing). Oh, and course less the monthly outlay during remodel and on market --- maybe $650/mo if I get the interest only mortgage. Am I being very naive?

Comments (24)

• vhehn
    15 years ago

it sounds like she already has a court appointed guardian. you could try but they will probably want to auction it so they cover their a##.
    over all if you can swing it it sounds like a good deal.

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I am the guardian (and only child/only relative at all!). That will probably be the difficult part - showing the court that it is not a conflict of interest.

Curious thought about the auction - no one had mentioned that before... when you say "they will probably want to auction it so they cover their a##", who are you thinking is "they"? The court, bank or guardian?

Thanks for you input --- this is likely to be sticky and risky on many levels ...

• Related Discussions

Would you Take a Look at These Please...

Q

Comments (40)
    Hello Everyone, My humongous bulb (2nd bulb) that I bought of Ebay # 3 has bloomed with it's first scape. There are 6 flowers and the color is a bit more intense in this bulb. The color is really unique I can't quite put my finger on it. It is pink to the coral side and in some lights there is some cherry red and orange in there too. A very bright bulb and hubby has commented on it twice! If I could grow bulbs outside I would most definitly want several clumps of this one. I would say it should have a very long blooming time outside as the second scape is just starting to emerge as it did on my first bulb so this bulb should bloom for many weeks. MIne will have to make the best of it in their pots. A very slight fragrance...slight, I don't know what it would do on a warm spring day... Four of six flowers are out on this first stalk: I have two seedpods on my first bulb, Lima and papilio. No telling how far they will go though. I know several others of you bought these bulbs too and I'm wondering how yours are doing and whether or not you are pleased with them?? Donna
    ...See More

Would you take a contingency to sell contract?

Q

Comments (5)
    "I would definetly do a kick-out clause as terriks mentioned along with specific details as to how that should be handled as in what proof the buyers have to provide to show they can remove the contingency." The usual kick out does not require an proof from the buyer, but gives them X days to waive the contingency in writing or the contract is null and void. The seller must supply proof of a bona fide offer to purchase. I have supplied it as a written contract that is contingent on the first contract being waived according to the kick out clause. A copy of the backup offer is delivered to the first buyer to start the clock running.
    ...See More

Non traditional custom build opportunity - how would you proceed?

Q

Comments (6)
    Well...\ Have you ever designed and built a "custom" home before? What do you think the project budget will be--construction cost, contingency, permits, professional fees, costs to close--everything together? Do you have a good sense of the project schedule? Will you be financing the construction and permanent mortgage? Have you talked to lenders? What will you do if the house doesn't appraise for at least the loan amount? If you use an architect to design a house, or modify the house for which he already has a permit, will you have to submit for a new building permit and other necessary approvals? What sort of construction contract are you discussing? A fixed price; a time and material; a cost plus; or something else? Do you understand the differences among these contracts? Do you understand how risk management is handled differently in these contracts? What will you do to eliminate all allowances? What will be the terms and conditions for change orders? Will you be able to visit the site and give directions to the superintendent? "...a little sloppy..."; "...I'm a little anxious..." Have you talked to his past clients? Do you know how long he's been in business? Have you checked the BBB? Good luck on your project.
    ...See More

Which would you take with you

Q

Comments (33)
    I relocated to The Netherlands from the UK in November last year.... key consideration in the search for new accommodation was space to grow my plants. I took five roses with me: old bourbon rose 'Madame Isaac Pereire', old hybrid perpetual rose 'Empereur du Maroc', Delbard rose 'Chartreuse de Parme' and two David Austins: 'Olivia Rose Austin' and 'Gertrude Jekyll' I have to say, I'd probably choose them in that order- for all the susceptibility to powdery mildew especially, and black spot, I cannot be without Madam Isaac Pereire- those huge, opulent, fuchsia blooms with that intoxicating fruity perfume have become the hallmark of the season for me! I've got lots of others back in the UK and I will extract them at some point but this one had to come with me to keep me company. :) As for Empereur du Maroc, that one demands attention but BOY is it worth it!! The blooms a crowded....CROWDED with velvety, DARK red, petals, arranged in whorls that you just have to see to understand....and one whiff of that classic old rose perfume and you'll just pass out. It also stand up to rain like a champion- frankly, there are so many petals that I don't imagine there would be a problem. It's like opening a bottle of concentrated old rose essence. And Delbard at his best gave us that Chartreuse de Parme, more hybrid tea in its growth but wow- the size of the flowers and the strong, fruity perfume....so yeah. Oh, and the David Austins speak for themselves....though I do need 'Jude the Obscure' back in my life. For me, the fragrance is everything! :)
    ...See More
  • xamsx
    15 years ago

My main concern --- this friggin market. Will it sell??

What market?

• susana_2006
    15 years ago

When my mother's physical condition required that she could no longer live at her home, I took over paying her bills and handling her finances. Do you have sisters and brothers? Could the family handle her affairs?

It seems like it might be a problem, if and when she needs to go on Medicaid -- the fact that you own the home or profitted from it. The states have different rules and I know that there is a period of time that they look back into her financial records.

It seems that your mother could sell the home to you as long as the mortgage got paid, but I'm not sure how much has to be cleared by the court.
    Good luck
    Susan

• popeda
    15 years ago

I would suggest you spend a few $$ with a lawyer specializing in elder law. We just had all three living parents pass away since February. My stepmother was in the nursing home for a while, and my MIL was in there over a year. There are many ins and outs of Medicaid,etc. Unless you know all about so-called Miller trusts, you haven't heard it all. Do a google search about that.

A lawyer told my SIL that although the Medicaid could go after the house after decease of elderly person, in our state that is very rare. Only sort of helpful.

We have gone over and over the same scenario you are playing in your head, and so far, with us on a very limited income, we're not willing to risk anything in this market, which isn't that bad really where we are, just too risky for our situation, retired, fixed income.

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the only living relative. Lucky me. I've been handling the guardianship duties for a year now. What A LOT of work! OMG - I don't wish it on anyone - especially to do on your own.

I figure that if the court approves the sale that Medicaid can't touch it. And, I'm hoping they can't look into my private records to see what my finances are ... who knows - but I'm counting on the court approval to cover it. I'll ask my Medicaid planning attorney - though he was the one to suggest this ....

What market --- why the fabulous seller's market, of course! :-) NOT.

That's really my question - in this market (or lack there-of), would you guys welcome such an opportunity or pass?

• chisue
    15 years ago

I think the question about what market meant where are you?

What I read says that nationwide RE values are down 15% from mid-2006 highs but have another 10% drop ahead -- along with lot if inventory to sell off. (For instance Miami has over five years' worth of inventory.)

Could you get almost as good a deal on another property and avoid the legal entanglement?

• xamsx
    15 years ago

What market --- why the fabulous seller's market, of course! :-) NOT.

That's really my question - in this market (or lack there-of), would you guys welcome such an opportunity or pass?

The reason for the question is to produce helpful answers. I actually live in a seller's market. There are many areas of the country that are still seller markets. There are more areas that are neutral markets. There are also buyer markets and dead markets.

Once again it is difficult to answer your question without knowing a general "where".

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

From what you are posting in your main post there is no market where you are. You said there were 3 for sale, none have sold so far. It's sounding pretty iffy to me.

How bad is the place? Can you get away with some reno's such as paint, counter tops, maybe carpet? You said you would be able to get people to help you if you bought it, will they help you do some work now?

What I would suggest is to get other opinions on what to do with "dolling it up". Can you take some pictures and put them in an album then post the link here? Depending on your market, it might not need everything your friend is suggesting.

The problem with waiting to buy it if it doesn't sell is that someone else might get it, then what? It sounds like your mother needs all of the money she can get from the sale, that would be the route I took.

FWIW, I wouldn't work with a friend. What are you going to do if this friend doesn't advertise the place or you find out they are under or over pricing it? Do a search here, there are more then enough posts from sellers/buyers that have worked with friends & it ruined the friendship.

Depending on where you are, you might need an agent that advertises on realtor.com. Do you know if your friend pays for enhanced listings?

Good luck. Doesn't sound like you have an easy decision. As was mentioned, if you profit from the sale, you might get in trouble if you don't put what was made from the sale back into your mothers care, IMO, it is not something I would play around with. I would do as much as I could now to make it appealing then sell it.

• kec01
    15 years ago

I strongly encourage you to talk to an elder care lawyer AND the folks at Medicaid (anonymously).

My mom had a house. She went into a nursing home in 1989. One year later, sisters and I sold the house for her. Using her other money along with the house proceeds, we paid for the nursing home until she had ONLY $2000 left in assets. Then AND ONLY THEN did Medicaid kick in. And once she was on Medicaid, we had to prove quarterly that her assets were still $2000 or less.

I don't know if Medicaid will help your mom AT ALL if she still has the house as an asset or the potential proceeds from the sale of a house. My next comment is not meant with any offense intended, but I'd be more concerned that your mom has Medicaid eligibility as opposed to you being able to buy her house and flip it for a profit.

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh gosh - sorry xamsx - thought you were giving me a little tongue-n-cheek. The townhouse is in a continuously growing but established community on Florida's Space Coast. Called Suntree to be specific. There are several individual communities (condo's, large SFH, etc) but, I believe, all are still under the Master Community.

I don't think our area is actually dead - but it looks that way from my local. REA says things are selling - but taking a long time and needing significan price reductions. Guess we are having a tough time taking a few steps back after the market explosion a year+ ago. How do you really find the marketability of an area? I've relied on my REA - as he's just been an increadible personal coach for me over the years...

Oh - and chisue - I'm not really in the market for finding any real estate deals. I'd only do this because of it being my mother's home and thinking it's a better deal than I could get elsewhere. Maybe I'm very wrong in that assumption with the market. I'd be willing to take my 4 weeks vacation and work very, very hard to fix her place up to sell, make a profit that could help alleviate some of the costs that mom will certainly cause me in the future. She's quite young and the guardianship duties, and attorney fees, will likely cost me an easy $50K before she's ready to assume some federal assistance! If I don't do this deal, and make the anticipated profit, I'm considering surrendering guardianship. I just can't (or won't) afford it over the long haul. I'm ready to apply to PA school in hopes of establishing a second career. I might not be able to contribute the time or costs for continuing guardianship if I actually get accepted. Sigh.

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I actually retain two attorneys at this time: a Guardianship attorney and a very experienced Elder Care/Medicaid Planning attorney. I feel that I have that angle *covered* - we have all spoken and they both believe that, if the house does not sell (and it likely will not prior to mom running out of savings) that can petition the court for purchase vs. allowing it to be forclosed/lost. They both agree that I need to have some good supporting documentation to get the rather difficult guardianship judge to grant approval - but they believe the rational is there. Just up to me if I actually want to go that direction and take the risk on myself.

My REA is not a "friend" but became a personal "coach" after handing another transaction and worked together in several networking and charity events. I am not overly concerned with regard to his RE abilities and/or our relationship.

My REA (and two other's that I have contacted and viewed the home under requirement from the court/judge) have said that simple rework like paint and carpet is a total waist of effort. The place is a wreck and, as one said, "you can't polish a turd". It is truly a handy man special. I, luckily, have a crew/family that is sincerely interested in helping me improve the property correctly in hopes of making a profit. What none of us know is if the effort is worth it IN THIS MARKET. Just curious if you all would take a risk in the arena of "flipping" this particular property.

I honestly thank all of you for your concern and advise with regard to entering something that might bite me (or my mom) in the arse. It has taken a lot of time, effort, energy and cash to find all these details on my own. I've tapped many resources - and found several that are FREE that have been very helpful - including public guardians, alzheimers & daycare groups, family run ALFs, physicians and their associates (PA & RNs), etc. There are some amazing people out there - overworked & underpaid - and willing to help. It just seems to have taken an ungodly amount of time finding these people!

• C Marlin
    15 years ago

As an investor, my concern would be can I hold it for the long term. If it doesn't sell, will it break you to hold the property as a rental or until it does sell? I don't know your area of Florida, but I do see good (emotional ) places do sell. If you can make it turnkey for low cost, it may work for you. You also mention working towards a second career, do you have the time to do this?

• mariend
    15 years ago

I don't know about other states, but in CA you can do a quick claim deed from one relative to another. Please ask a RE lawyer about this procedure in your state.

• xamsx
    15 years ago

oh gosh - sorry xamsx - thought you were giving me a little tongue-n-cheek. The townhouse is in a continuously growing but established community on Florida's Space Coast. Called Suntree to be specific. There are several individual communities (condo's, large SFH, etc) but, I believe, all are still under the Master Community.

Ah. Maybe I should have said "which market"? I apologize.

As far as the Florida market... I have been hunting a condo on the waterfront for a few months now. The prices in Florida are crashing. The waterfront is hanging tough, but I've recently come across a number of walk-out beach front units at just a tad over 120 sq ft. I am only interested in beach front at this point in time because why should I settle for less? One block in will not do it for me. There is a LOT of inventory, so why should I have to settle for less than perfect in the perfect location? I think my poor attitude may be what a lot of folks in Florida are contending with now to try and sell a condo or townhouse.

Really and truly investigate what is selling now, at what price point, and how far the drop has been in the last six months. Add together your rehab costs, the amount of time it will take and factor in the dropping prices. If something is selling at $175K now, and it will take you six months to rehab, do you honestly think it will still be selling for $175K in six months? My crystal ball is hazy, but I am betting "nope" (really betting because I am looking to buy at rock bottom). If your crystal ball says prices will start to recover in a year, and you can hold, then it may well be in your best financial interest to go for it.

• susana_2006
    15 years ago

I was in your position -- only child -- when my mother became unale to live in her own home. My mom had put my signature onto her checking account years before when she was well. When she was unable to take care of her finances, I just wrote checks for her and deposited her checks for her. There was never any court involvement (of course, I didn't need to sell her home at that time)

I'm thinking about my own estate planning. I do have the will & power of attorney set up so my daughter can step in when necessary. What I'd like to avoid is the high legal fees that you have mentioned that you are incurring -- I guess that involves the court "overseeing" what you do as guardian. Thanks for bringing this up -- I guess it's another topic I have for my attorney when I need to make another appointment.
    Susan

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan -- just in case you're checking this thread again ....

I believe that most of my costs are directly realted to the Guardianship. There's a crap load of reports that, automatically, must be filed to the courts annually. I am approved to pay myself an hourly wage for the work, and charge for mileage, but the work involved to track this (and the low hourly wage approved) doesn't really make it worth while. And any time I need to perform some significant activity, I need to petition the courts (i.e. sell any of her assets or make major change in her living arrangements). I do not believe I would have had near the headache if I had just left it at Power of Attorney. Course, the attorney I sought advice from was very suspicious of the POA - stating that if my mom got a *wild hair* she could withdrawl the POA. I have a bad feeling about the whole matter and now, after having so many difficulties (and seeing the bills), feel that I was (or am being) taken advantage of... my mom was too far gone to ever understand POA, let alone be able to figure out how to recend (sp?) it..... Definately talk to your lawyer about it though!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

xamsx -- we have a gulf-front condo (12000 SF) on Fort Myers Beach. Two and half years ago our next door neighbor sold for $750,000 in three days! They are now going in the mid to high 500's. Unbelievable. We are happy though, because our taxes dropped significantly.

We are having a very good year getting our place rented as well.

• sparksals
    15 years ago

I'm confused about something and please forgive my ignorance about elder law and medicaid. Is the reason you can't just buy her condo for the price of what's owed on the mortgage because you are her guardian? I understand that when qualifying for medicaid, there must be few to no assets, but I don't understand why you aren't allowed to buy the condo to prevent foreclosure.

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Is the reason you can't just buy her condo for the price of what's owed on the mortgage because you are her guardian?"

BINGO! As guardian, I must act in a fiduciary manner = and my buying for what is owed (which is less than the actual worth) would not be considered acting in her best interest. Also, the Judge has to approve the sale (part of normal guardian requirments) and it would appear a "conflict of interest" for me to purchase it at ANY price.... Wish I would have known the ins-and-outs of the legal aspects of guardianship before I petitioned for it! A real nightmare. Which, if the Ward had been difficult, would have been a life-saver. But she's quite compliant these days....

• susana_2006
    15 years ago

funkill:
    Thanks for the information. I guess I was very lucky that my mom bad just put my name on her bank accounts & I was a guardian with no court involvement. I'd like to set that up for my own kids, when the day arrives.

Just out of curiosity, could you possibly cancel your guardianship, if your mom signed legal documents. Since you are in the same situation as I was (only child), it seems like it would be much easier for you -- not to have to file legal papers for decisions that you make in her behalf.
    Good luck
    Susan

• funkill
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan- yes, I can *surrender* my guardianship but it is another legal proceeding and the Judge would have to bestow another guardian. So the judge would appoint either a Professional Guardian (who would probably not accept my mom since she has no way to pay for the Professional) or a Public one (of which there is one in the county - serving hundreds of indigent). If I surrender, I have absolutely no formal say in her care - which means a professional guardian could place her in a *hell hole* to find enough funds to pay her fees and a Public one would likely not give her any personalized attention... There's nothing my mom can sign - for me to be granted Plenary Guardianship by the court, my mom had to first be found Incompetent. This has been quiet an education for me. A costly one!
    Good luck to you. I also have been contemplating how to get this all in order for myself (for when the time comes). Worse yet, I'm single with no kids ... who the heck is going to watch out for me when I loose my mind??? Oh wait, I've already lost my mind! Cheers.

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

susana, do a google search for power of attorney and your state. There should be forms online

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

funkill-"If I surrender, I have absolutely no formal say in her care - which means a professional guardian could place her in a *hell hole* to find enough funds to pay her fees and a Public one would likely not give her any personalized attention... There's nothing my mom can sign - for me to be granted Plenary Guardianship by the court, my mom had to first be found Incompetent. This has been quiet an education for me. A costly one!"

Very good point. Given up any say in your mothers case could be disastrous.

Before you make a decision one way or another, you may want to read this book (and visit the authors website). I found it at my library, but the information was so worthwhile I purchased a copy for myself (Amazon.com has used copies for as little as $2.14).

You may also want to visit the Caretakers forum. Plenty of folks there are dealing with similar situations.

The Retirement Nightmare: How to Save Yourself from Your Heirs and Protectors : Involuntary Conservatorships and Guardianships
    by Diane G. Armstrong Ph.D.

www.retirementnightmare.com/author.htm

"Dr. Diane G. Armstrong is a clinical psychologist who lives in Santa Barbara with her husband Bruce. They have been married since 1966. Mother of two adult daughters, she works as a writer and consultant specializing in the abuse of involuntary conservatorship/guardianship proceedings in today's courts. Her breakthrough book was inspired by the million-dollar court battle that ensued when four of her six siblings attempted to establish an involuntary conservatorship over their competent 72-year-old mother. It is the first book in America to focus on the abuse rather than the use of today's conservatorship and guardianship codes, exposing a web of state laws that were originally created to protect "infants and lunatics" and are now being used to strip elderly men and women of financial and personal independence during their golden years of retirement.

Dr. Armstrong's mother was able to end her personal legal nightmare only by settling out of court and agreeing to pay $100,000 of the petitioning children's legal bills. The Probate Judge had placed a conservatorship over her father at the beginning of the proceeding, accepting the petitioners' allegations (no proof or documentation required or offered) that his financial affairs might be compromised as his final illness robbed him of mental and physical competence.

It is interesting to note that these financial affairs had already been placed in the hands of excellent private professionals who managed all family revocable trust investments both before, during and after the infliction of the conservatorship.

Ironically, the Judge appointed Dr. Armstrong's mother as his "conservator of the person"--and then continued the bizarre trial over issues of HER competence for 16 long months."