SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Peninsula: step up or keep counter height for eating area

rjr220
15 years ago

We are planning on knocking down the wall b/t the kitchen and dining room. My initial thoughts were to have a peninsula b/t the kitchen and DR with an "step up" eating area on the dining room side of the peninsula: I thought that the step up could help hide the kitchen mess for when we have company for meals, holiday dinners, etc.

However, I am beginning to question my step up idea. The peninsula will also be used for homework, breakfast, morning coffee and reading the paper. I am wondering if a flat, non-stepped up peninsula with an eating area would be a better fit. Also, I got to see Holligator's kitchen FOR REAL this week-end (even more spectacular in person -- everything is fabulous and my husband just keeps commenting on it! I am awaiting a quote from the same cabinet maker - his work is beautiful. Holligator has great taste!) and her beautiful island soapstone slab is making me think about this even more (Yes, not only did I stroke that soapstone slab, she let my DH and I oil it!)

Please give feedback -- anyone have a step up that they wish they would have done flat? Anyone go flat and wish they would have done a step up?

Thanks!

Comments (7)