SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

LOOKING for: What I had and what I'm looking for!!

glenda_al
18 years ago

Went to a lecture on Tea Traditions around the world, and this one was on Russia!!

Sharing menu and what I would LOVE a recipe for.

{{!gwi}}

--------------------------------

The cabbage and apples were wonderful and I would love a t&t recipe.

This one had bacon grease, bacon, red cabbage and apples. NO SPICES!!!

Thanks for sharing, if you have a good one.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    18 years ago

I make something like what i think you are talking about....but no "recipe"....depends on the size of the cabbage.
    I shred the cabbage, slice a red onion, peel and slice a couple of apples and cut up 3 or 4 slices of raw bacon....maybe more if it's a big cabbage.
    Put the cut up bacon into my very largest frying pan and when it has begun to try out....add the rest of the ingredients, fry on medium, tossing to coat everything and get it all mixed together. As it cooks down a little, add a little slurp of vinegar or lemon juice....maybe 1 1/2 Tablespoons, cover, turn the flame down to just a little simmer, and cook until as tender as you want....about 1/2 an hour for me. Salt to taste....but be careful if you have a salty bacon.
    I love that!
    Linda C

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Linda, and a question!! What kind of apple do you use?

• lindac
    18 years ago

I use what I have!...usually Granny Smith...but if it's a sweeter apple I may want to add a bit more vinegar....taste will tell.

• woodie
    18 years ago

Glenda, you do find interesting luncheons to attend!

• gellchom
    18 years ago

Boy, does that sound like a fun program!

Here is a recipe I LOVE. I love cabbage, apples, and caraway together, so I searched for recipes on line and finally selected this one, printed it, made it, and filed it away with my own comments and changes. Then I forgot I had it, and went through the process all over again a couple of weeks ago, searching, selecting, and printing. When I went to put the new recipe in the file, I laughed to see that it was the SAME one I had printed out last time -- and I had made the SAME notes and changes! Both times I had felt the dish needed both more caraway and some sweetness, for which I added concord grape wine, which made it perfect, in my opinion. It made the flavor much more complex.

I will give you the recipe as I found it, with my changes in brackets.

This recipe doesn't have bacon (no recipe you ever get from me will!), but you can probably add some if you like.

Warm Red Cabbage, Red Onion, and Apple Slaw

5 T extra-virgin (only) olive oil
    3 T balsamic vinegar [I like more]
    [a good splash of very sweet red wine, or maybe try some grape jelly or brown sugar]
    1/2 head red cabbage [I used white once and it was fine]
    1 large red onion [I used white once and it was fine] cut into 8 wedges [I cut it smaller]
    1 t caraway seeds [I think it needs a lot more]
    2 Granny Smith (or any tart) apples cored and cut into 8 wedges [I cut it into smaller pieces]
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut out the core of the cabbage and cut the cabbage into small pieces [I shred it]

2. Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.

3. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.

4. Add the cabbage, apples, caraway seeds, and vinegar [and wine or sugar]. Stir well.

5. Cook, uncovered, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6. Season to taste with salt and pepper when the cabbage is soft.

7. Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately [I found it just fine serving it later].

• mqmoi
    18 years ago

Oh do those sound good. I'm going to try it. Thank you.

Like that menu too.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Stopped by the tearoom and talked to chef.
    Here's what he told me:
    Fry 2-3 chopped really good bacon slices
    Add cabbage, and onion, and right before the cabbage gets done, add Golden Delicious apple. Said to be careful as you do not want the apple to get mushy.

Seasons: salt, NO PEPPER, and just a very light taste of garlic. Told him I didn't taste the garlic and he replied that's the way it's supposed to be. AND nothing else!!!

• mqmoi
    18 years ago

I made this last night. Yummy! We both really liked it and will make it again. Really different for a change of pace. It's all in the simplicity. Served it on the side of boneless pork chops with blackened seasoning.

What I did:

Sauteed red and yellow onion slices, then added sliced purple cabbage, then at the end I added sliced Pink Lady apples (which are crisp and not too sweet). No pepper either! I didn't even add any garlic.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I made it as well, last week. Prepared it the way the chef had told me, and everyone really liked.
    Will make it again!!

I used golden delicious apples.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH