SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

What color walls for this avocado bathroom?

equest17
14 years ago

Im coming along with most of the updating and remodeling in all the other rooms of our 70Âs house, but the guest bath has been neglected. I was waiting for inspiration to strike, usually in the form of a fabric I love, but it has been slow in coming. The fixtures are avocado green, but the shade actually isnÂt bad. ItÂs dated, but everything is in good shape and given the money weÂve spend elsewhere, theyÂll have to stay green, at least for now. The bath is a shared guest room/hall bath for the upstairs (it has two doors, one opening into the guest bedroom and one to the hall). The guest room has a black iron bed and black/dark red comforter (JCPenney Cleo set), and beige walls. The hall is mostly beige and neutral tones.

Working with that, I felt a scheme with soft olive green, black, and beige would be a good blend for the bathroom. I found some affordable fabric I like and some inexpensive pulls and lights. My tentative plan is to make a shower curtain and window valance with the two fabrics (green diamond sample shown in the last photos as a wide band across the top, Indienne shown below for the rest), paint the vanity black with brushed nickel pulls, update the sinks with more contemporary brushed nickel faucets, use plain black wood frames for the mirrors, and replace the sconces with the Thomas ones below (itÂs hard to tell in the photo, but the metal finish is a flat charcoal black and the shades are a perfect bronzy olive that works with the Indienne). Some of the items are left over from other projects and the others are about the only thing in my budget, so IÂm pretty committed to the above elements (although if there are glaring problems IÂm open to hearing about it ;-)

My problem is, what color paint for the walls? I generally like color and rarely use really neutral paint, so IÂm inexperienced at picking those shades (the beige hall and guest room were painted by the PO). IÂm leaning toward SW Ecru or Harmonic Tan since Muslin (top of the same card) seems the exact match to the background color in the Indienne fabric. I think a beige or tan with slightly green undertones would work best, but IÂm not sure. I considered BM Flowering Herbs, but it might be too green. Someone said greens in a bathroom make people look sickly. I also want to avoid an unappealing greenish brown that might remind people of a bathroom for another reason!

Here are the elements all together; the first photo is with flash and the second is without; neither is exactly accurate as to color, itÂs somewhere in between. Ecru is on the left and top of the two photos, Flowering Herbs on the right and bottom. IÂm not certain about either of them, so any input or alternate paint suggestions would be great.

Comments (22)