SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danain

Do you duplicate recipes from restaurants?

danain
18 years ago

I was inspired by an awesome soup I had the other day at Panara Bread to come home and try to duplicate it. When I got home I looked up the menu for Panara on the web and read the discription of the soup:

Portobello & Roasted Garlic Bisque

Domestic mushrooms and sliced portobellos simmered in a roasted garlic velouté embellished with Amontillado sherry, prosciutto, sweet cream and chives.

I didn't have chives so I added onion. The first time I made it I also used domestic mushroom but I felt it would be better with all Portobello. I think I came pretty close. It rich, creamy and a little spicy. Soooo good!

{{!gwi}}

1 large garlic bulb

2 slices thick sliced bacon; minced

12 ounces portabella mushrooms

1 small onion or shallot; minced

1/2 teaspoon thyme

Salt and pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup dry white wine (sherry or brandy)

1/4 cup flour

4 cups chicken broth

1/4 cup heavy cream

Freshly ground black pepper (I like a lot)

Roast the garlic first. This can be done up to a day ahead of time. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Remove the peel from the garlic bulb, cut the top off and drizzle with a little olive oil. Wrap up completely in foil and roast in the oven for 50 minutes until very tender, cool in foil for about 25 minutes, remove from foil and cool enough to handle. Squeeze soft roasted garlic from each garlic clove, discard peel. Mash garlic with a fork until smooth and creamy.

Meanwhile make the soup: In a medium size, heavy sauce pan brown bacon until almost crisp. Remove the dark brown gills from the mushrooms and slice; add to bacon in the pot along with the minced onion. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper and add olive oil, cover and sweat until very tender 5 to 8 minutes, uncover and continue to simmer until liquid is evaporated. Stir in wine and continue to simmer until wine is almost evaporated.

Make a Veloute (white sauce (roux) made with stock or broth instead of milk): Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir, continuing to cook and stir while pouring in broth. Stir in garlic and cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in cream, taste and add more salt and fresh ground pepper as desired.

Marilyn

I also duplicated a sauce I had with fish from McCormick and Schmick's seafood restaurant last Friday. Anone else do this?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH