SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

How do you frame and mat your art?

jockewing
12 years ago

I have been doing a lot lately with the art in my house--taking some of it down, having some re-matted, getting new art matted and framed. I really like the look of oversized white matting and even double matting with the same white on top and bottom. I also notice I really dislike big chunky frames (except maybe on canvases) now and really like the look of very thin frames in white, silver or gold. I think it looks really sharp when a small piece is placed in a much too large frame and then matted in white.

I have arrived at this "white" solution because I used to have things matted in all different colors that complemented the art. I find that using white matting gives a very crisp, timeless look and if all the art in the house is matted this way, it is a very cohesive look. I will be picking up a very large oriental print that I am having matted in an expensive off-white linen mat. I hope it comes out right! It can sometimes be as hard to visualize how things will look with the mat and frame as it is visualize colors on the wall.

But what do you do when the art just doesn't look good with white matting? I recently had some antique shell pictures from an old zoology book matted. The background was sort of a linen color and the white mat made the picture look dirty. So for these, I went with a tan-colored linen mat.

Can you all tell me your preferences for matting and frames?

Comments (10)