SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

RECIPE: Used To Be a Breast Man

gardenlad
17 years ago

Chicken breasts, that is. But lately we've been discovering the meaty joys of thighs. Here's one recipe, from my magazine clipping frenzy:

SAUTE OF CHICKEN THIGHS WITH LEEKS & MUSHROOMS

2 small leeks

1/4 lb wild mushrooms

4 chicken thighs

Salt & pepper

2 tbls butter

1/2 cup white wine

1/4 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/8 tsp nutmeg, approx

Cut green leaves from leeks and discard. Cut leeks into thin julienne strips. Trim any tough stems from mushrooms and halve any very large ones. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper.

In a large frying pan, heat the butter. Saute chicken, skin side down, over medium heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn and sautuntil golden on second side, about 2 minutes more. Add leeks and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add wine and stock and bring to a simmer. Cover pan and gently simmer, turning chicken once, until done, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Add mushrooms to pan and cook over high heat until sauce is lightly thickened, about a minute. Lower heat and stir in cream. Simmer gently until sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Season with nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste.

Spoon sauce over chicken.

My notes: Unless you like raw chicken, the time for the initial sauteing is too short. I sauted them for 5 minutes per side, and they were just cooked through.

Original recipe called for fresh morels. Lots of luck on that, this time of year. So I used baby portabellas.

I believe next time I'll skin the thighs before cooking as well.

Anyone else got some T&T recipes for chicken thighs?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County