SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Dining Room Reno: Progress Pics!!

lynninnewmexico
15 years ago

Although this is still a work in progress, I'm getting there! The first pic below is our "Before" dining room. Whitewashed table & chairs with handcarved detailing. Ugly old chest of drawers to hold tablecloths, placemats, etc. Chandelier is pewter. Rug is a good one, although I still want to replace it within the next year or so. Oh, an our sweet Tibetan Spaniel, Chloe, rolling around on the rug there!

{{gwi:1700967}}

And then my DH surprised me with an antique mahogany buffet and chest of drawers. We'd been looking for new pieces for this room for quite a while but had never found anything we liked until these. They fit the spaces like they'd beeen built for the room . . . except the table and chairs looked totally "off" then!

{{gwi:1670353}}

Sooooo, after checking with experts here and finding out that Minwax's Gel Stain was not going to work on the table and chairs as I'd hoped, I started hunting for a new antique set with DH's blessing. Unfortunately, every table I found was so darn diminutive; usually 5-feet long. If they still had their leaves, they were either warped, badly chipped, very discolored or a combination of those. And, I just didn't think they looked very good with their leaves in. As for the chairs, they were small and uncomfortable, to boot, although usually very nicely carved. BTW, thank you all who warned me that our modern day chairs would probably be too tall for the antique tables!!!

Next I looked for new tables and chairs, but didn't like any I found . . . although I did find a lot of comfy chairs!

I was getting extremely frustrated with my search when ~ last Tuesday~ I ran across a fabulous set in a consignment shop down in Albuquerque. After showing DH pics of them, I bought the set the next day. They delivered them last Friday morning, right before my out of state company arrived for the long holiday weekend!!! Anyhoo, we love them. Although not antiques, they are solid mahogany, beautifully carved and the chairs are extremely comfy . . . which is great because our meals this past weekend went on for hours. Here's a couple of pics I took Friday evening. I still need to recenter the table on the rug better. I'd like to replace the rug soon and rehang the chandelier or get a new one. It's a good one and pewter. What do you all think about the chandy? I'm also looking for a new lamp for the buffet with a bit more weight to it.

Again, many thanks for all your help so far with this room.

Lynn

{{gwi:1551608}}

Here's a pic of the carving where the two 18" table leaves come together. Isn't it pretty? I like it so much, I'm planning on keeping the leaves in all the time. Thank goodness our dining room can handle the length!

{{gwi:1449349}}

Comments (21)