SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kframe19

NOT time for a new car!

kframe19
14 years ago

Through some research, trial and error, a timely investment a few weeks ago on an OBDII scanner from Amazon for $30, and some good luck, I've fixed my car.

It's running like a champ right now.

All told, the cost was under $200.

But the big luck item was the air bag light, which suddenly went out (after 3 months) by itself while my friend David and I were car shopping. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

I used JB Weld epoxy to fix the crack in the ignition coil. It was leaking current, arcing, and causing the misfire.

I traced another performance issue and code to the knock sensor, a small item tucked in on top of the engine. Less than a minute to replace it, nearly an hour removing stuff from the top of the engine and standing on my head in the engine compartment trying to maneuver the new one into place, followed by about an hour of reassembling all the stuff I had to move.

Cost? $82 for the sensor.

I took it to be inspected yesterday, and it passed.

I did get new rear brakes for it, as I know they're getting thin, but it passed with the thin brakes. I'll replace those probably this coming week.

All told, a VERY satisfying weekend.

I'll just continue socking money into savings and when the time DOES come and I want (or have to) replace that car, I'll be that much farther ahead on the down payment.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996