SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judy_jay

Expecting Their 18th Child

judy_jay
15 years ago

I could not believe this family when I read last August that this woman in Arkansas had had her 17th child. Now I just read that she's expecting #18 on New Year's Day of next year. This number includes 2 sets of twins, but that's still a lot of pregnancies. She's been p.g. 11 yrs. of her life. Wow, and I thought my 2 were a lot! LOL!

Comments (95)

• orie
    15 years ago

Sue1947 and everyone else that thinks they're odd... they are beyond odd!!! I know it's her right to do whatever and yes, I shouldn't care, and I really don't... but it does bother me that the kids have to raise the younger ones AND there is ALWAYS a younger one. What kind of outside-the-home-life do they have? Do they have time to engage in activities w/other friends beyond the family nucleus? This is where I get upset. The $$ thing should bother me but it doesn't because I'm more upset about the kids. I myself would've loved a large family but by this I mean maybe 5 siblings or maybe 4 of my own but, come on, 18?? AND... she does need a haircut!! All the girls need a new do. They really look like little clones of their mom. No individuality at all. I wonder what their water bill is? Food bill? They better sell a lot of homes but when do they have the time to work?

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

I agree with the last couple of posters...The family is odd...If he did indeed spend time in the House of Representatives, he's probably getting some sort of pension and I would think they are being paid by the TV station...No one could be selling that many houses to support that many kids....

• Related Discussions

Severe Weather for Tues/Wed May 18th-19th

Q

Comments (12)
    Probably in August I will pay someone to push them into piles, or cut them into pieces and use my tractor to grapple them into piles for winter burning. The ground will not be dry enough to support large equipment for many weeks. Thirty were uprooted and the rest snapped off 2 to 20 feet high. These are all old native trees that we recently had thinned around and just got ready to manage this year. That's the way it goes. I don't feel to bad about it because before I got down there to see it I had been under the impression that the damage was widespread. I guess it all depends on how it compares to expectations. I admit to having tears in my eyes when I first found out. I have invested so much time and money into that place. The wood is almost worthless. Pecan in this area has almost no value. This might be one of the highest density pecan tree areas in the country.
    ...See More

SS Support, Mon. Sept.12 thru Sun. Sept. 18th

Q

Comments (16)
    The weather was indeed perfect, albeit hot and humid for such a meeting. Saratoga is a lovely, small and old city with lovely architecture. I was right at home with the horse statues that lined the lovely main boulevard called Broadway! Saratoga as you may know is home to some very elite horse racing, amoung other things. Raeanne and I met early and perused the shops before meeting DeeMarie. I spotted Raeanne immediately at our meeting place. Her hair is done in a modern cut that kicks out in a playful way! I love the color and style Raeanne, it's so you! Her eyes are still a beautiful and brillant blue! After shopping we went to the meeting place for Dee but she wasn't there so we proceeded to the restaurant meeting place. As we were crossing the street I could see a woman waving in our general direction and I knew at once it was DeeMarie!! How wonderful that she spotted us and I felt so special that as I waved, she waved back. It was a fun exchange. So it was there at the restaurant that I meet our wonderful DeeMarie. She has the most wonderful and expressive big brown eyes and I knew at once that I had a wonderful and caring friend for life! It's amazing at how we women, and man, communicate and have become such fast friends! We shared a wonderful lunch. Okay, Dee and Raeanne did. I had the luck to order one of the worst things I have ever had and it was ironic a because everyone else had a wonderful meal before them...........figures. We shared a bottle of lovely white wine alfresco which was really good against the heat of the day! After lunch we went to our card reading................boy was that enlightening!! This woman had a great deal to tell me that was very accurate!! She is a gifted woman and I think we all came away with some new info!! Then we toured the shops of Broadway, Saragoga Springs, NY. It was fun, fun, fun but way too short a time. I had to depart by 3:30-4:00 to be back in time to feed my steeds.................I could have stayed and talked all night! I had a lovely ride home full of fond memories of my time with my sisters. Ladies and gent, we must find a way for more of us to have this meeting and connection! BJ, I am sure that Las Vegas is too far for some but we sure should try to all connect.............it's so much fun. Thank you DeeMarie and Raeanne for a very special day.
    ...See More

18th november

Q

Comments (6)
    I know that the actual dates are significant, but really when you think about it, it's just a day. If you try to think about how you are grieving every single day without your loved one and how every single day that they were here with you was just as important as the next, those "dates" really aren't that important. They are just that..... "dates". The birthdays are harder for me when I can't help wonder where Christin would be in her life now had she lived. She was only 19 when she left us, and had so many hopes and dreams. I also know what you mean about grieving differently for your parent and your child. It is a totally different grief. I too, feel a little guilty sometimes because I had always dreaded my parents' deaths, but I think my heart is a little hardened since I lost my child and I just don't think that the hurt can be any deeper even though my Mom was my best friend as was my daughter. I miss them both so much. I guess my grief for the two of them just kinda meshes together. We usually just bring Christin flowers on her birthday. Our first year without her, we had a memorial service at church and before that, we had a little ceremony at her grave where about 100 of her friends came and said nice things and mentioned memories etc. We released a bunch of helium balloons and some had cards connected to them for Chris. It was very healing. We were very dissatisfied with her funeral, so this kind of made up for it. It was the day that her grave stone was put down... beautiful day. Lu
    ...See More

Special gift for DD 18th bday?

Q

Comments (31)
    Terrilynn: I found it on Amazon then, and just found it again for you. It’s called “The best college dorm safe V5.0” for $249.99. There were many less expensive ones, but those could realistically be picked up and carried off by some thief. I wanted a small personal safe that she could physically attach to the underside of her bed, etc. The added expense, in my mind, was worth it to safely hold her passport, drivers license (freshman year =no car), good jewelry, etc. And, when her sorority house caught fire during her sophomore year, that safe kept everything in it from being destroyed. Just then, it earned every cent we payed for it!
    ...See More
  • patches_02
    15 years ago

On the today show this week they said, there was going to be a knew story on them coming out on the discovery channel some time soon. I would imagine they get paid well for these shows as do the show Little people and plus eight. At least there would never be a dull moment at there house. My father was one of twelve but i have never heard him complain about the big family. They were a close family.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

I think they are very selfish to expect their kids to care for the next one. And I have always thought about how they are clones of their mom and dad....just too weird for me. I never thought about their stimulus check...WOW! It must be a whopper! I just can't imagine really getting to know your kids when there are so many. I don't see time for a childhood in that family.....seems strange to me.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

I should say I don't see time for them to have a schildhood outside of their family....with close friends.

• babs77
    15 years ago

I find nothing wrong with large families, as long as the parents take on most of the responsibility. With that said, I agree with those that say it isn't right to expect the older children to take on so much of the care for the younger ones. They should be able to spend time enjoying their childhood. From an msnbc article:

"Each older child has one or two younger "buddies" for whom he or she is responsible. At 9, home schooling starts, again with the older children helping to tutor the younger ones. Fifteen-year-old Jill is responsible for preparing lunch, which is served at noon. Each 'team' is responsible for a set of chores, or 'jurisdictions' which helps keep the house in order. With so many children, there is a sign-up list in the kitchen for children who feel they need one-on-one time with a parent."

The children all seem well mannered and happy but they have to SIGN UP for one-on-one time with a parent? No wonder the parents find plenty of time to have more kids. It's the kids raising the kids, not the parents!

The males are considered superior to their female counterparts in this religion. I guess, to each his own, but I personally do not believe that any female should be considered inferior to her mate. It should be an equal relationship.

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

"The males are considered superior to their female counterparts in this religion."

Babs-Out of curiosity,where did you find that information? I have researched many "Quiverful" sites and never saw that anywhere. The Cherenenko family was also featured on a TV documentary last year I think.
    I don't think the purpose of the Dugger special was to prove who had the most children,but like with the John and Kate series,were documenting what life is like with multiple kids and multiples under the age of 6. If I were in their shoes I would expect to be compensated for having cameras and people in my home and face all day every day,wouldn't you?
    I can't imagine not having some kind of structure when it comes to chores and lessons and such in that size family without it being total chaos.And what is wrong with the 15 year old girl being responsible for preparing lunch? I think it was also mentioned in the TV series that she actually enjoys cooking.I wish my 15 year old DGD did! I would never cook again! LOL
    One of the younger boys is responsible for taking care of the pantry,also a job he loves and does with pride.

Judy-I'm SURE the Duggers had all those kids just to get a big tax refund every year.LOL

Mallory-If you didn't pose the question "as a matter of anything of interest to you",then why DID you pose it?
    In the TV series the mother is with the children a lot.She is their teacher so she is with them all during that time.They all have meals together.And you know that mother doesn't just hand her youngest over to another kid and forget about them,which is what you make it sound like! She would have to be involved in their care to some degree.

Lindasew-I think I remember on one of the shows the mother mentioned that they do most of their shopping for clothes at Goodwill stores.They buy "like' clothing because it makes doing laundry easier.You know,throw everything in together.Sounds logical to me!LOL They do dress the kids in the same colors when they go out because it makes it easier to keep up with them,also logical.
    Someone mentioned the styles.A lot of people dress like that,what they consider "modestly".SOMEBODY wore those clothes/styles before they did!LOL I also know a lot of people who don't cut their hair,so what?
    Also,a coffee machine and a dress was not all the kids bought their mom for Mother's Day.Read the article below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Dugger interview

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

Here is the link to an interview done by msnbc last Sept.
    It talks about the beliefs of their Quiverful religion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dugger interview

• wandam1
    15 years ago

I agree totally with lilliepad and the others of that opinion. While the Duggars are certainly out of the ordinary, the 'evidence' seems to indicate that they are doing just fine. The children all seem to be happy, wholesome and thriving. I think our society is skewed against large families these days, to a degree. And religious families. It seems the majority of the members of our society have few children, both parents work, kids are in some kind of day care and later on spend more time depending on interaction with 'peers' than with their own family. This is considered 'normal'. The Duggars are certainly going against the flow. They put a premium on family togetherness, love and support, modesty, and all those kinds of things. What is wrong with that? It seems very strange that there is so much outcry and witch-hunting over this family.
    The people who should not be having children - and I hesitate to even phrase it that way, since all children have a right to live and grow regardless of who their parents are - are the kind that raise them in chaos and abuse and subject them to immorality, drugs and all that. What about that poor 2 yr. old child who was filmed being forced to take drugs. That child was an only child (if I remember correctly) with a majorly disfunctional family. There are many, many, many children in similar situations, no doubt. These are the parents/family situations that should cause an outcry, not the Duggars. At least that is my opinion.

Wanda in South Texas

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Good36 Â Judy
    You seem to have a misconception about tax refunds. This is not a government program to refund money. It is a repayment of excess taxes paid. If the Duggars get a tax refund, it is because they overpaid the taxes they owed. Taxes owed are taxes owed. If you overpay, the IRS sends a refund.

As for the GWB stimulus payment  NOBODY gets over $1200. It may well be that they qualify for the $1200. But itÂs really no skin off your nose. TheyÂll get it, just as you will, based on your income and dependents. 2 or 18 children will not matter one bit. We have just one dependent child in college, and we get only $600. I'm not whining about it, even though I would have liked the $1200. Our income is too high for the full stimulus payment. So, likely, is the Duggar's income. 18 kids will not get them any more government money.

I would not want to live that life, with that many offspring. I did, however, grow up in a family with seven children. I was the second. I was expected to do chores, care for babies, and cook.

It was a rewarding experience, and gave me so many skills I find many of my friends lack.

• mimi_boo
    15 years ago

Just a little clarification of the stimulus checks...

Depending on your income...

"Eligible people will receive up to $600 ($1,200 for married couples), and parents will receive an additional $300 for each eligible child younger than 17."

I couldn't find anything about a limit based on the number of children.

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

I think they DO get more than $600.
    ---------------------------
    From the IRS website:
    To receive a payment, taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number, $3,000 of income and file a 2007 federal tax return. IRS will take care of the rest. Eligible people will receive up to $600 ($1,200 for married couples), and parents will receive an additional $300 for each eligible child younger than 17.
    ---------------------------
    I didn't do the math but they have 15 kids younger than 17.
    That's quite a check!

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Yes, my bad.

I should have gone directly to the IRS website. Sorry.

• cheryl_ok
    15 years ago

I'm #12 out of 15. We didn't have much while growing up but mom made sure we never went with out what we needed. She always said "By the time I found time to go to the store for birth control...I was already pregnant"

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Well...3 was enough for me! If they seem to be doing it and the kids aren't complaining then go for it I guess, just not or me. I'd have NO energy for it all. I'd be so worried about falling on hard times and can't feed them all, it does happen to people and has happened to us long ago when our kids were small. My parents were willing to help us out. Can you imagine going to your family to help you with 18 kids??? If one of them got too sick to work then what?? I have to look at the big picture here and that one scares me!

• Toni S
    15 years ago

The Duggars had no idea about the stimulus payments when they had their 16th child so the point about how much they get is rather mute. Their motive is not tax money or welfare money or whether we give a hoot how many kids WE WANT. They are doing it for their own reasons and this conversation is seeming rather silly at times.

When looking back at my paternal family tree, they had huge families and it was quite common.

There is a woman in Omaha that was featured in their Sunday Paper. She had 12 kids with, I'm guessing, at least 6 fathers. Could be more. She didn't have a husband but did have a live in boyfriend. I won't get into the whole story but that story struck a nerve with me. SHE is being irresponsible! The Duggars on the other hand are having children knowing they can feed, teach and care for in a way that children deserve. One mom, one dad with good character, raising children that have ideas of careers and families. I LOVE that their mom is ultra organized! Dad may be the head of the house but the mom,,she is the neck that points the head. They are a good team in my opinion.

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

"Couples in the movement also believe that the husband is the head of the household and the wife is submissive to him, while the children are submissive to both."
    Biblically that doesn't mean that the father rules with an iron hand and that the wife must suffer abuse from the husband or that decisions can't be made by mutual agreement.The father SHOULD be the head of the household and the children SHOULD submit to him and the mother.If a lot parents these days would adhere to that principle I doubt there would be as much going on with some of the kids.

"Dad may be the head of the house but the mom,she is the neck that points the head." I love that Toni! That is exactly what I am talking about.You know,the Bible says when God made Eve he made her to be a "helpmate" to Adam.She was made from Adam's rib,(under his arm,from his side?)to be held close by his side,not to be trampled under his feet.At least that is the way I interpret it.It doesn't necessarily mean that the wife can't help her husband or at least steer him in the right direction!LOL

"With so many children, there is a sign-up list in the kitchen for children who feel they need one-on-one time with a parent. But Michelle says that she actually has more one-on-one time and quality time with her children than most because she home-schools them and is with them all day."
    I guess that answers Babbs question.

• intherain
    15 years ago

TV didn't find the Duggars. The Duggars found TV. And isn't it convenient that after their TV episodes they had enough sponsers to nicely outfit their new home with nice appliances?

Yes, there are large families. But they don't promote themselves to make $$ on TV. There is a big difference.

Again, if you haven't seen the show, you might not understand. Once I watched the show, I was very disturbed. Especially with the husband.

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

I'll comment when I see a follow up story....say 10 years from now. I'm going to be interested in seeing how these children function in the real world.

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

"TV didn't find the Duggars. The Duggars found TV."
    Intherain-Where did you find that information?
    I saw every episode of the show plus re-runs and didn't find anything disturbing about them.They strike me as a happy,well adjusted family.But,that's just my opinion.We all see things in a different light.Guess that's what makes life interesting.

I would expect the Duggers probably make more than the amount allowed to collect the Stimulus payments for any of their children.If they spend $2000. a month on groceries and I can imagine the expense it takes to run that household,they would almost have to make more than the allowed amount,($150,000.)or there could be a cut in the amount they get for each child if their AGI is more than that.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

I saw both shows the family was on. The only thought I had was how sad for the children. Stepford children is correct. They all had the same clothes, hair cut, way of thinking... oh, wait they weren't allowed to have their own thoughts. Mom and Dad told them what to think. Had no friends to come over to play nor could they go to any friends home to play. Mom and Dad kept them at home. There is more to raising children then making sure they are fed and clean. These children won't do well when sent out into the world I fear. They weren't taught how to be individuals or how to deal with very much of the outside world. The parents are not doing good by their children or raising them to go out and become functioning adults. How sad. NancyLouise

• orie
    15 years ago

I'm not against having chores. I expect my DD to do her chores and take care of some of her needs (she is 12). I would never hand over another child to her to care for just because I feel this is what God wants and because I have no time. They seem normal... well, let's wait and see what happens when reality hits, if it ever hits. I'm sure if you spoke with each child, they'd say they're happy and like to do what they do. For all we know hell may break loose if they said otherwise! They will have families of their own and probably do the same but what if they discover most people don't live this way? Do they even know other people in the community? Are they free to grow and spend time with others? Will they resent it? Look what happens to some of the Amish teenagers when they are set free at a certain age. They go wild exploring and some of them never return. I hope these kids do well. It's not their fault they are growing up having to constantly accommodate their parents newest offspring! Many people in todays world have kids and probably should never have them but it doesn't make what this family is doing ok. Most people are choosing to have fewer kids NOT more. Like I said before, my problem with all this is kids raising kids and their lack of involvement with their peers.

• good36
    15 years ago

I disagree mary_c. If I had all those dependents my pay on taxes would be MUCH lower it is not matter what your income is. You get still get to deduct the amount of dependents you have. So yes you do get more of a refund back on your payed taxes. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly.
    Judy

• donna37
    15 years ago

I see nothing wrong with their dress code or hair. At least their bellies aren't exposed with a belly ring or pants falling off their backends.

In this area there are lots of families that dress that way and the children are very well cared for and not isolated from the community. They may be homeschooled but do have activities involving other children and families.

One family here has 9 and she is prenant with #10, she teaches the 4H sewing class, her DH teaches small engine repair and are very active in the community. If that is the way they want to live I see nothing whatsoever wrong or odd about it.

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

"At least their bellies aren't exposed with a belly ring or pants falling off their backends."
    AMEN Donna! And I'll add one more thing,I didn't hear any smart mouths or disrespect out of the Dugger kids,even
    between the siblings,like for instance some of the families with only 2 or 3 kids on Super Nanny.And how do we know they are "isolated" from other kids their age? In fact,on the series they had many gatherings of other families with kids the same age as the Dugger children.OK,I know what is coming next,"But they are kids from their own Church group".Well,so what? I would much prefer my kids associate with peers of their own Church group than some of the ones they went to school with! Mine did and they did just fine when they got out into the "real world".My 8 year old grandson is home schooled and he has friends and does all the things other kids do so I don't think that theory flies just because a kid is home schooled.
    Judy-They would get a good amount on their IRS refund but I was saying their income might exceed the allowed AGI for the Stimulus check.I don't know that for a fact because I have no idea what their income is.Just guessing from the size of their family,size of home,utilities,groceries,etc.
    Anyway,I'm finished here cause it's just beating a dead horse.There will always be those who agree with their lifestyle and those who don't,be it anyone else's business or not.

• donna37
    15 years ago

My DD homeschools her two children, GD age 13 and GS age 11. She gets lot of flack from her siblings about that's bad, they have no social life. WRONG.

She had enrolled them in rec programs where they had friends, both take music lessons and interact with peers, GS on bowling team,they're in 4 H with other kids. They spend time with friends, sometimes staying overnight.

I admire the Dugger family and think they are raising their children the old fashioned way, the way our grandparents and great grandparents did and nothing wrong with that.

As for donations, these parents that have quads, quintuplets, etc. get lots of donations also and no one complains.

• bestlawn
    15 years ago

I really see a big difference in this and those who have quads and quints. Ordinarily, the multi births are the result of efforts to get pregnant w/ medical intervention. The news of multiples are as much a surprise as the news of being pregnant is a delight. It isn't their choice, just what happened because of the methods. It is a risk they take among many other risks for undergoing the procedures and have to accept it whether they are prepared for it or whether they can afford it. It is never a decision on the part of the parents to have 4, 5, 6, 7 children at one time unless you want to say not aborting or not partially aborting was their decision.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Most of the kids' pictures showed really happy faces.

o j

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh,but OJ,smiling faces can be deceiving! Those kids are just hiding their unhappy,deprived lives behind those smiling faces!LOL
    I know,I said I was finished with this but couldn't resist.

• LorifromUtah
    15 years ago

What happens if the kids all decided to have a friend overnight?

LOL
    The guest would probably have to eat buffet style like the rest of the crowd. And maybe wear a different colored pair of pajamas so's not to blend in?
    LOL
    I would guess the parent's could tell if there was a stray there or not.

It's possible the kids are neglected and unhappy but that's not uncommon in small families.
    If you were to ask these kids if they were neglected, depending on the time of their lives/day/week/month each would probably say they were. Again; not an uncommon feeling for kids in any sized family. Many bad things happen to children with one or two siblings. Children from small families find their way into trouble and danger too. Let''s face it; having children at all is one big crap shoot and we parents have to do our best and forget what the world and message boards might think of us.

Being responsible for younger siblings isn't an imposition or a personality altering situation. And it certainly isn't
    against any child labor laws either, like in 'my parents made me wash dishes! And make beds! And tend my little brother! And mow the lawn! And shovel snow! They broke Child Labor Laws!'

What these people choose to do is their own business.
    Apparently those in authority in their area feel the children are safe and healthy and that's good enough for me.

My main concern is for the woman's health. So far she looks remarkably healthy for giving birth that many times.

Actually, the family picture reminds me of a line from 'Cheaper by the Dozen' when Bonnie Ican'trememberherlastname reports 'the first three were by natural childbirth. The rest of them walked out on their own."

Lori

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

Lori-You said it so well!
    That was Bonnie Hunt!

• sue_va
    15 years ago

Just a few points that have occurred to me.

Amish children sometimes get into trouble when they get out on their own. What about the Baptist, Presbyterian, Catholic, no religion, kids when they go off to college, or even before?

Parents of multiples do make a choice about how many babies they might have, when they choose to use 4,5,6 eggs at a time, and often one or two of multiples have physical problems. It appears the Duggards are all healthy.

Here in the area where I live there are many Mennonites; they dress alike, wear their hair alike, and in the past had their own schools, and the kids were only schooled to the eighth grade. I have three Mennonite neighbors very close to me. They all wear long dresses and the "cap" and solid black shoes; they don't have TVs and spend a lot of their time making quilts. Gee, they are really odd, aren't they?

Let's lighten up here.

The Duggards aren't our enemies!

Sue

• sue36
    15 years ago

"Parents of multiples do make a choice about how many babies they might have, when they choose to use 4,5,6 eggs at a time, and often one or two of multiples have physical problems."

Not all multiples due to fertility treatments are due to IVF. A friend of ours had a toddler using Clomid. The doctor put her back on it so she could conceive another child. She had triplets. There was no "choosing" the number of eggs. From what I've been told (by my doctor), most high level multiples (3 or more) are due to irresponsible and/or unqualified doctors.

And some multiples are not due to fertility treatments at all. Years ago I knew a woman that was a triplet. hey were "natural". Two eggs released, 1 split = triplets (2 of which were identical).

• cardamom
    15 years ago

Well, it certainly is different. God certainly has given them a lot, including free will. I'm more curious about the kids finished with their high school studies...are they continuing their education? Are they just helping the younger ones with their studies?

At what point do they get to begin their own lives?

• curlysue
    15 years ago

I say let's stone them all on the court house square. That will teach them.

Or you could actually watch their show on the Discovery Channel. I personally opted for the show. It is really good. Very smart group of kids, always smiling and polite. Yes they are home schooled-Michelle-the mother must be nuts. They take their children on vacations which is so fun to watch-can you imagine how much stuff they have to pack. It is unreal.

Okay down to the real stuff. How about we just let them have as many kids as they want-it is about the only thing we have left that the government doesn't control. Jim Bob-the dad is in real estate, must be making pretty good money from what I can tell. The appliciances that where donated for their new house where donated by major companies like GE or Whirlpool or whoever so that every time we are in the Duggar house they get some free publicity. This family probably needs donations less than most people-because yes they are being paid to do their TV show.
    If anybody wants to blast me for anything that I have said, go for it. I watch their show and I see a huge well adjusted family. The whole family is always smiling. Darn them. They are all very polite. The heathens. I haven't done any research to back up any statements that I have made here. I don't have time. I am too busy watching shows just like theirs. I call them feel good shows.
    I can say this, I think these kids knew more about life, changing diapers, cooking, cleaning, building a house, caring for someone other that yourself, than my kids did at their ages. But, hey, what do I know?

• angela_nor_calif
    15 years ago

curlysue - I couldn't have said it better.

• sandy_in_ia
    15 years ago

CurlySue.....You said what I have been thinking!! Thank you!!

• funkill
    15 years ago

I don't stop in "here" often - but couldn't resist reading this bit .... as my assistant was just asking me about this family last week.

Great response curlysue --- wish I always saw that side of the picture but sometimes I get caught up in the *wonderin'* about things that don't really matter to me afterall.

I do remember seeing one of their first shows. I think it was titled something like "13 and pregnant again" and thought it was going to be about a 13 year-old that was pregnant. Was even more shocked to see it was a woman with 13 kids! Anyway, during that show their older children were interviewed. These kids (maybe in their early teens then) remarked that they all wanted large families. So, apparently, at that point in their lives they enjoyed it ... That's cool. I'm an only kid with no kids - and past the age where it's routine. I kinda wish I had a big family at times. Even #18 big sounds intriguing. Seems we all find a way to adjust ... well, for most of us.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Michelle Duggar seems very much in love with her husband. I don't see it as he's "making" her have all these babies..it's a by product of "loving" each other. ~and thanks to whomever found the bit as to why they aren't preventing pregnancies..I don't agree with that mentality, but it makes sense, in an odd sort of way. They made a deal/promise. But I do hope for her sake, that menopause comes sooner than later.

Would I choose that..heck no...After my third "suprise" I requested my husband fix the "leak"..LOL
    He has fathered 6 children with 2 wives..There was no doubt he was highly productive..LOL

Michelle must also be one of those ladies that LOVES being pregant..again..for me it was a means to an end..

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

My mother came from a family of 10 siblings (born ca 1900). Large families were more commonplace among farming famlies in those days partly from lack of birth control. The older girls tended to help care for the younger siblings. Back then, every child (in a farm family) had jobs to do related to producing food, raising livestock, or crops. It was the thing to do at that time. My mother helped care for my uncle who was about 8 years younger than she. Contrary to what one might think, life long bonds were created between the caregiver and the receiptant. When my uncle died before Mom, she took it very hard and stated, "I raised that little boy. We were such good friends. I feel so alone, now." They lived 600 miles apart, yet time and distance did not dimish this bond.

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

I remember watching the show and when it was over I remember thinking how very lucky and blessed they all were. Every one of them understands the meaning of loving from the inside out. They realize that the world doesn't revolve around just them and what "they" want. They care about each other have learned the meaning of life's lessons at a very young age. I for one would have loved to be raised by parents like that!

Three cheers for lori, curlysue and moni...I haven't had time to read everyone's response but they struck a cord within me.

~Susan

• orie
    15 years ago

I find it interesting, jemdandy, that your mom said, "I raised that little boy." This is what some of those kids are doing... raising their siblings. This is so hard for me to respect. Yes, they seem wonderful, happy, etc. That's all good and she can have all the kids she wants. BUT, I have a lack of respect for her to burden the other children in the "raising" of the children SHE chose to have. I'm sorry but you can help take care of your siblings when there's a need for it but don't hand one over to another child and say, "Here you go, this one is for you to tend while I have another." It never ends... This is my biggest issue with their chosen lifestyle- and, if they choose to air it on t.v, well, they're going to get people like all of us discussing what they are doing right or wrong! If nothing else, it sure is interesting to see how everyone feels about it! Here's a thought, maybe... if she gets a haircut, her fertility will be diminished... LOL...

• okwriter
    15 years ago

I didn't do a search, but it seems there was a KT BASH on this family when they had their last child. How very sad to see it (the bashing) repeated. Those of you who see something wrong with what this family is doing...why don't you step up and let us critique YOUR choices in life and YOUR parenting skills! Are YOU perfect? Do each of YOUR children have a halo?

My DH is #8 out of 13 kids. They grew up very poor, and his upbringing has instilled some wonderful qualities in him. For example, he is a "kid magnet." If there are kids at a gathering, they gravitate to him and he loves it! He is responsible...stayed single until his 30s, does his own laundry (including ironing!), knows how to cook and clean, etc. He is self-sufficient and certainly knows how to stretch a dollar. I've never ONCE heard him complain about sharing a room or bed with his siblings OR about not having indoor plumbing or electricity.

There were only four kids in my family, but my parents always left the door open for friends or relatives who had fallen on hard times and needed a "hand up." We didn't have much, but we shared what we had for as long as necessary--sometimes months at a time.

DHs mom (and my folks) must not have read the book that says households have limits on the number of people who can be loved at one time.

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

BRAVO!! Well said "okwriter".

~Susan

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

This is an exceptional family. They're all over the media.
    They want attention. Of course people are going to discuss this. They're a controversial family. Do you really think that everyone finds this an ideal family? I don't think so. Is the feel-good public personae the real thing? Or is there more behind the scenes that we don't know about?
    Sure, you can discuss my family....as soon as it's got it's own website and TV specials.
    I see at least a couple of threads voicing opinions...positive and negative...about public figures.
    Noone's yelling bashing there.
    If you're going to put it all out there, then you're open to criticism.
    I can't fathom 85 posts saying "how wonderful".

• amicus
    15 years ago

I am completely neutral on the Duggar's, since I can see pros and cons to their lifestyle. I come from a large French Canadian catholic family, as did my mother, as did hers. I absolutely adore my siblings and loved growing up in a large family. I look so forward to our family reunions because I have over 75 cousins to enjoy time with. Yet neither myself and siblings, nor any of our cousins can say we felt like we were assigned a younger sibling to look after. Sure we looked out for each other in a general sense, but it seemed our parents' main expectations were that we help out with the household chores, and focus on our studies for school. The childcare was the responsibility of our stay at home mothers, not any of us. When we were asked to do specific childcare if our mother wasn't available, it was called babysitting and we were given a little money to put in our piggy banks or maybe just given a little treat as a thank you.

None of my Aunts had more than 12 children, so perhaps they thought that was the limit to the number they could care for themselves, without imposing the childcare on others. Being very conservative catholics back in the day, I know my own mother (and probably her sisters) relied on the rhythm method for birth control. Although there were no doubt some 'Oops' babies, that method was fairly successful overall, since a dozen or less children each were conceived from bridal bed to menopause, encompassing more than 30 years. That isn't an option for the Duggars though, because any form of birth control is contrary to their desire to have as many children as they are blessed with.

I can understand how some posters feel the Duggar parents are being unfair and a bit selfish by fulfilling their own desires, but not really giving their children any voice in the matter. And I truly don't know if I'd be so enamoured of large families and so happy to have come from one, if the repsonsibility of caretaking for one of my siblings had been given to me as an automatic 'assignment.' Regardless, I think the Duggars are a lovely family, who appear to be raising very kind and loving children. Hopefully, their children will continue to be well adjusted individuals and never become resentful of the choices their parents made for them.

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

As the youngest of 9 children, I just have to say...there's no way they can afford the house that they live in, tricked out as it is, without out some serious gifting -- with only the father working as a real estate agent, it's just not possible (yeah, she may be listed as a real estate agent herself, but if she's popping out babies every year, and doing the homeschooling, she's not bringing in any income). My understanding is that the majority of the house was covered by the TV show they were on, and a significant portion of their other needs are covered by friends and their church.

Most people who come from very large families are dirt poor. Having that many children is very expensive -- all my clothes when I was a child were hand-me-downs, and I shared a room with two siblings. Candy and other treats were given out only at Christmas and Easter. Our kitchen was so small we had to eat in two shifts. We had a chart on the fridge that listed the daily chores we had to do; and yes, the older siblings did a lot of the raising of the younger ones. I would never wish this kind of lifestyle on any child -- there's love, but it's rough, and stressful. And I have no doubt that there are ulterior motives in the Duggars placing themselves in the public eye -- they probably get a LOT of stuff and money out of doing it, but is it good for the kids?

• orie
    15 years ago

WOW- hot topic! Pickyshopper and rivkadr, I'm with you. How many of you responding to this are men? Just curious how the males see this?

• babs77
    15 years ago

lilliepad, check out the post right below yours from "jenni_ca" it's right in that link... As well as in many, many other stories on the Internet about this family.

As I stated, have as many kids as you want, I think that is fine. But do not have so many that the older ones raise them and I will NEVER agree with the following belief... (we are ALL created equal!)

"Couples in the movement also believe that the husband is the head of the household and the wife is submissive to him, while the children are submissive to both. The girls wear long dresses or skirts and tops, while the boys wear slacks and polo shirts."

• intherain
    15 years ago

"why don't you step up and let us critique YOUR choices in life and YOUR parenting skills!"

My family doesn't have a website, nor are we on TV. If we did, I know there would be criticism. That's what happens when you are in the public eye.

Good grief, lighten up. So this thread was created only for those that have something "positive" to say? Then why have the thread at all?