SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Severe Weather for Tues/Wed May 18th-19th

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Here's everyone's "heads up". Severe Weather returns as a very real possibility today and tomorrow, especially tomorrow.

For Tuesday, the severe weather threat will be highest in western Oklahoma in the counties closest to the TX-OK border and in the TX/OK panhandle. Jay, the threat extends into your part of KS and even into Colorado. For today, the main threat will be high winds and large hail.

For Wednesday, the severe weather threat will be high over a large portion of Oklahoma and the adjacent states. Unfortunately, this includes areas already hit hard by storms last week and by Sunday's hail storm. The risk for Wednesday is looking pretty serious and includes high wind, large hail and tornadoes. On The Weather Channel this morning, the risk area for Wed. looks huge and includes all of western, northern, central, eastern and southern OK. The severe weather threat will be slightly lower for the northeastern-most counties. That threat area extends down to Dallas, and TWC specifically mentioned the Red River Valley being "under the gun".

Please, y'all, pay attention to Tues.'s weather and especially to Wednesday's and be prepared to seek shelter. There isn't much you can do to 'save' your garden plants from severe weather, but you can do your best to protect yourselves.

How serious is the threat on Wed.? I think The Weather Channel said last night that Dr. Forbes gave the TX/OK area a TorCon Index number of 6, which essentially means a 60% a tornado or tornadoes will occur. When I see the TorCon Index forecast later today, I'll post it here.

May's weather is starting to make me wish that June would hurry up and get here---but then, I do hate to hope for hotter weather because it will get hot enough soon enough as it is.

I've linked the webpage of the Norman NWS office. You can see the areas where the threat is highest on those maps.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Norman Enhanced Weather Page

Comments (12)