SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poolg8tr

sos pb's , anyone???

16 years ago

Warning, this is going to be long, please bear with me.

Remodeling 1979 freeform pool with spa additon which is about 1/3 inside the pool. Received call from builders assistant that there is a gas line too close to the hole for the spa and I need to call gas co to have it re-routed. Came home to find pipe not close to spa, but right through the middle. They have also not only continued to dig the spa, but have put in the rebar(?) as well. Other than that "pesky" pipe , all looks great. Gas co comes out next day and says that it is a gas main and is not a simple re-route. He sent me to engineering, that was late Friday afternoon and I was just able to leave a voice mail. The guy that did come out said that it would appear that my pool deck is in the easement and that I would need to request the easement be moved and that if, after surveys etc, it was determined that we could move the easement,m then the pipe could be moved. He had no idea what kind of costs would be involved but thought just the moving of the pipe would be no less than $2000. My neighbor tells me that he had to have his easement moved back 15 feet and that it costs him just over $5000. From what I can guess, the pipe runs pretty much along the path of any 1st choice alternative site for the spa. There is a possibility that where the diving board is now, there might be enough space, but obviously, we have to find out where everything is before we can just decide to move it and start didgging again. Did I mention that my PB has yet to come by and take a look at this.

here's my questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that I do not want to build my spa in the easement and on top of this gas pipe?

2. Has anyone had experience getting an easement moved?

What did it cost, how long did it take etc. Do they ever get it wrong and lay pipe outside the easement?

3. If we find that there is room at the deep end, does that work to put a spa there? We now have a seat or shelf around the spa (inside the pool) so that you can easily climb out of the spa and into the pool. At the deep end, I'm thinking the kids would probably jump, and so we might not want that shelf.

4. The sticky question, who's responsible for this? My neighbor says it was the contractors job to have all utilitlies located before he started digging anywhere. I can see that the PB wouldn't have thought anything would be under the deck, but he was going to run pipes through the yard, and there could easily be something there. If they had called for a utility locate, would that heve identified this main line? Is that standard procedure, or is this just one of those "suprises" you pad your budget for?

If we can move the spa to the deep end and it doesn't compromise the function and the flow of the yard, then I suspect the PB will take care of it. If we can't figure out how to make it work or if the cost becomes too much, I think we will just scratch to spa. Who pays for the costs already spent on the spa and to close it up?

Sorry this is so drawn out, my dear husband is sitting in a deer blind about now, so I'm trying to do some ground work and have some options in mind for whatever I hear from the gas co next week.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (9)