SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumbago_gw

Pool Paver Decks

plumbago
14 years ago

Do not install pavers on your pool deck. Go with concrete. After having pavers for over a year on my new pool, I decided to have the surface pressure washed by a reputable sealing company. After spraying to get the mold out of the paver cracks, the company sprayed the sand into my pool as well as all over my cage screens. Apparently this is the usual practice in Southwest Florida. Pavers need to be sealed every two years or so. Naturally you want any mold/mildew and dirt cleaned from them. What you end up with is a sealed deck with all the sand missing. Guess who's going to put the sand back in? After all the research on re sanding, you really can't use Polymeric sand unless you have at least 1&1/2" of depth for the pavement joints (Techniseal). Now, without digging out some pavers, how do you know how deep and how consistent your joints are? Secondly, if some of your substrate is washed away, then you fill and fill and fill the joints forever (unknowing that you have a hole underneath your pavers somewhere. Yes, mine were professionally installed with the substrate compacted by machine. After using leveling, mason or joint sand, you will find that you have to wash the tops of the pavers off, which again reveals joints that weren't completely filled. I've brushed my pavers 3 times now and unless you have really dry, fine sand, you'll be doing it several times like myself.

Guess what? Every two years you get to go through the same work again! I swayed back and forth as to whether to have concrete or pavers. Many pool builders lean towards pavers since they make more money on them and you end up with high, high maintenance after it is built. I don't have interlocking pavers, just 12" squares and now I'm really regretting it. Better luck with the rest of you when building a new pool.

Oh, did I mention that I just had to replace my pool vac due to the sand in the pool clogging up the gears! As soon as some $$$$ come along, I'm ripping out the pavers and having concrete poured. So I get a few cracks, at least I don't have to pressure wash, re sand, re seal and wash my cage every two years! Sure I will clean the concrete but no sand!

Another side benefit with pavers on sand is that you get to track it in all over the house as well. No matter where you walk on the surface, there's sand sitting there, even after a good hard Florida rain! Good luck!

Comments (5)